Sign in to follow this  
Potash123

Strange Rough Cutter ?

I have come across a strange looking rough cutter that is going begging locally, described as follows.

Wheeled Lawn Trimmer Grass Paddock trimmer Field/Lawnmower Mower 6hp/ briggs & stratton engine / 4 stroke/ intek OHV . The two wheels are like small bicycle wheels. The blades are in fact heavy gauge flails  that spins on a rota which is visible at the front of the machine.

Painted orange. Described as a DR Mower-Trimmer. It has heavy duty handles and is walk behind. There is a large rectangular shield behind the blades to protect the operator.

Does anyone know what make this is, the age and value new. Are they any good ?

Sorry cannot post pictures on here.

Regards

if its a dr trimmer they are well sort after its basicly a heavy duty strimmer on wheels, these machines cut through anything including brambles the early ones had a cast deck and were better than the later ones, i have sold cast ones for £200-£250 on the bay,

DR was a US brand that appeared in the UK in the late 80s , I think. I went to a dem somewhere in West Sussex and was impressed enough to buy half a dozen . Unfortunately the punters didn't share my entheusiasm and the last one stayed on our books as a hire machine. They had a heavy duty nylon line head which took 4 or 5 mm line and were available with either two or four stroke engines..

The video (vhs cassette) that came with each machine showed them being used in much the same situation as we would use a Hayterette rather than a strimmer replacement.

They are still around and a friend tells me that two are used to maintain his local churchyard.

Around about 2010 Hayter sold a similar Murray branded version.