Sign in to follow this  
expeatfarmer

Sometimes you just get lucky

Having injured my right arm slipping over in mud at new year workshop and tractor time has been curtailed and so I have been closely examining my old Ferrari which I am recommissioning . I pulled out the boot carpets and found some corrosion in the floor caused by overheating from the exhaust. Looking a bit harder I found a rust hole in part of the box section space frame that the silencer hangs off. 30 mm x 20 mm 1.5 mm box section easy peasy phone Tommy Graham the steel merchant get a piece off the shelf only want 9". No chance 3 month delivery and £60 for 6m!

Looked on Google available in stainless but not mild steel just not listed anywhere. Tried Ferrari obsolete, slight lead on a London restorer that might have a bit. Frustrated I went back tom the workshop and had a ratch about in my scrap pile and there right in front of me was a 1.5m length of 30x20 x1.5  which I have actually had for years, it was part of a Thule roof bar system that I bought from a car boot sale, one piece of which I had used to make a roof mounted light bar for my Jeep CJ7.  It was powder coated and bunged at each end with stoppers so inside is like new steel. Just shows that keeping hold of stuff you don't need today can pay off. !

Just need a new right arm so I can cut it and weld it in.

Surprised Thomas Grahams didn't have any. Must be an odd size.

Sorry to hear about your arm. You never mentioned it when I came to see you. Or is it since then?

Hope you'll be ok for the Edinburgh show.