CNew

Ohlsson & Rice Dyna-Mite gas tank

Just picked up this Ohlsson & Rice Dyna-Mite, mainly for parts. I think it was originally an O&R Life-Savr generator but it is missing the actual generator section of the unit. Does anyone know what size cap might fit this tank or have a spare cap you might be willing to sell?  Also, the tank looks very clean inside but I was suprised to see that there isn’t any sort of fuel pick-up tube that comes down from the fuel nipple. Should it have such a thing or is the fuel sucked up by some other means?  If it is indeed missing the fuel pick-up tube are there any suggestions as a possible fix?  Thank you for all your expert advice!

6F3FE12B-F3C7-438F-A1CF-0AB547B0CB72.jpeg

880C9A13-ECD9-47FB-8058-C9DBF08EED0C.jpeg

4EC4FCDE-7E81-4EC7-B0AF-A42994DF009F.jpeg

Is there reason this & the Ice Auger thread isn't in the O&R section, I don't always get time to look through the other sections.

I think that tank didn't leave the factory with that engine on it, the PTO shaft & mounting plate were never used on the Dyna-Mite, no one has ever posted pictures of anything actually branded 'Life-Savr', the starter mech seems to be missing too.

The fuel pickup should be in the side where the carb is, there should be a tube linking the pipe by the filler cap with another on the other side too.

David

Hello David,

Thank you, my apologies for having these threads in the wrong spot. I guess I didn’t realize you could specify location - I’m still learning how to navigate the forum. Is there an easy way to move them to the right spot?

I think I’m going to get a small dental mirror to see if the fuel pick-up pipe is visible inside the tank on the carb side as you suggest. If the fuel line is all rotted I’m not sure how I’ll get in there. It looks like the bottom of the tank is glued on somehow so maybe worst case I’ll have to heat it up and try to pry off the bottom.  Yes, unfortunately the recoil starter is missing. I may use this as my learning engine to do my first full tear down and rebuild. I’m anxious to see all the internals and learn more about how they’re constructed (can’t help the engineer in me).

Thanks,

Clint

There should be 3 tank nipples. 2 are vents (one on each side ) because the cap seals the filler neck and the fuel pick up should be on the carb side.

Thanks John,

There are definitely 3 nipples on the tank. After playing with it a bit I’m pretty sure I know which ones are vents and which one is the fuel inlet. The fuel inlet was pretty clogged up but I think I got it sort of cleared up now. I’m anxious to use this tank but I’m still on the hunt for a gas gap.

Clint

For reference here is a picture showing the standard base tank.

SAM_6961a.jpg.6aef694aa39182c298b58fe6c75bf689.jpg

Other versions were made with an extended filler pipe & even one with no extra nipple for the tubing linking between the two sides.

SAM_6154a.jpg.ad5b9829ed03606543f4f220c5fc7468.jpg

s-l1600a.jpg.c437ce4bce8e4ec9d068594c8b1d2984.jpg

Here is what one of the filters looks like in these base tanks (using a very cheap low-resolution borescope & mirror, picture is also mirrored as a result), there are other versions depending on the age.

1255044889_18-12-25140150.png.5aacf55276ef24c6dd9b9b6aba729e61.png

David

David,

Wow, this is really helpful. I have the standard one that you show in your first picture.  I hadn’t seen the extended filler neck, that’s interesting.

Clint

On 1/21/2019 at 9:48 PM, CNew said:

The fuel inlet was pretty clogged up but I think I got it sort of cleared up now. I’m anxious to use this tank but I’m still on the hunt for a gas gap.

Spray carb cleaner into the nipple, let it soak. Repeat as many times as needed.

You will find that you need to be VERY resourceful when it comes to these tools. Look EVERYWHERE for something that works if you can't find a replacement part. A lot of trial and error will be needed too but that's half the fun. Not sure if any of these will work for the correct size but just to give you an idea.

https://www.amazon.com/TAI-DIAN-Transparent-Glass-Containers/dp/B078H9DHPM/ref=asc_df_B078H9DHPM/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863980630237&psc=1

I would suggest going to whatever the equivalent of a car-boot sale is in the US and taking the tank with you, to try the lids/caps from any old oil/solvent tins you may find for sale.

I've already tried this with the old cans/tins from my brothers collection and none of the UK ones fit, they are all slightly too small, the standard UK size must be different from those found in the US.

SAM_3036a.jpg.4a27df48f84c38b0032b5d69fb3e13d3.jpg

By the way the tank with the blanked off vent tube I posted a picture of yesterday is used on the Orline Yard-Arm according to my info (something that's not turned up yet, are any left?) it's part # A-32-26, it also has no mounts at the bottom so can't be used for anything where it needs to attach to a base plate.

7 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Spray carb cleaner into the nipple, let it soak. Repeat as many times as needed.

Since I bought some glass syringes, that were originally intended for measuring chemicals in laboratories (to replace a plastic one that the rubber seal died in with exposure to fuel), I have been using one with a small piece of the fuel line to direct cleaner/fuel into clogged/dirty tank filter tubes to clean them out.

I really need to post a picture to better show this, but haven't as I can't hold a camera at the same time.

David

Great minds think alike. I’ve already been testing various caps off older cans. The one that fits best so far is off a can of Kroil but it has a spout in the top. This gives me some hope that a fairly standard 1” cap might work, especially off an older oil can similar to the picture you posted.

On 1/23/2019 at 2:54 PM, factory said:

By the way the tank with the blanked off vent tube I posted a picture of yesterday is used on the Orline Yard-Arm according to my info (something that's not turned up yet, are any left?) it's part # A-32-26, it also has no mounts at the bottom so can't be used for anything where it needs to attach to a base plate.

David,

Turns out there is a NOS Orline Yard Arm Fuel tank A-32-26 currently on eBay. It’s listed as Buy-it-Now for $150.

Clint

10 hours ago, CNew said:

David,

Turns out there is a NOS Orline Yard Arm Fuel tank A-32-26 currently on eBay. It’s listed as Buy-it-Now for $150.

Clint 

It has been on there a while, I remembered it as it was different and looked it up again to permanently borrow the pictures, I imagine it will be on evilBay for many years at that price.

Here are some pictures of another I saved years ago, showing what the seller of the currently listed one doesn't show, i.e. the lack of the two mounts (the price of this one was a more reasonable $22, in 2015).

s2a.jpg.25d04d15d7e92c9ed60ae095aa42d9a1.jpgs3a.jpg.105cc813b35a84a399451713f6100ea0.jpg

David

On 1/23/2019 at 2:54 PM, factory said:

David,

I agree, $150 seems way way too high. Without the mounting tabs I’m curious how this tank was originally attached to the Yard Arm.

Clint

The Yard-Arm is a hand held tool, the engine is attached to the tank in the usual way and the pole for the cutter attached to the clutch housing, no tank mounting tabs needed.

283356440_OrlineYard-Arma.jpg.c0f628cced09b09db391d53fe64885b3.jpg

David

13 hours ago, CNew said:

Whoever buys that tank will be very disappointed when they find out it doesn't fit their Tiny Tiger generator. :yankchain:

It doesn't ship internationally, so I can't inform the seller about the error in the title, or the price. :hide:

Screenshot_2019-01-26.png.c4f018a7e766b44702293bbc1e640bb3.png

David

I sent the seller a generic question about the tank so if they respond I will reply and inform them of the discrepancy and actual intended application.

Clint

Good luck, I've had some sellers where they thank you & correct it, but some that don't believe me or they completely ignore me, you just can't help some people.

David

They do make for a nice way to mount and display these engines.  I just recently saw an O&R that was converted to glow.  It also had an interesting water-cooled head jacket. I think it was modified for a large racing boat or something. It was pretty neat!

There are a few different water-cooled cylinders for these engines, some were made by O&R & sold by Octura Models, there is even a part number for this in a early parts list.

Others appear to be made by model engineers, I haven't yet found any articles for this, but I have got a cylinder somewhere that was damaged by someone trying to machine the fins off for the water jacket conversion.

David