HeadExam

Diseased Oak Tree

For the last two years one of my large oaks has had large nodules on it and I've noticed holes and disease on the outer bark, I was worried it might be hollow and know that a diseased tree can potentially be fatal  to the cutter so I decided to hire professionals to fell it (150.00 US). Should be a nice amount of firewood, if I can get any of the less than motivated locals to cut it up while the weather is nice. It seems people are getting lazier by the moment.

I'd have cut it down for free and taken it away. B)

Interesting to see how he cut through the trunk. We cut out a gob (notch) on the side we want the tree to fall, then cut across the back.

Would that be the White Oak Alain?. I know you have several varieties there, just wondered also what type of disease has it suffered from?.

Most English Oaks only seem to be (rarely) affected by Honey Fungus, or partial 'die back'.    

On 4/25/2019 at 3:35 AM, Stormin said:

I'd have cut it down for free and taken it away. B)

Interesting to see how he cut through the trunk. We cut out a gob (notch) on the side we want the tree to fall, then cut across the back.

He did cut a big notch on the front, just hard to see with me standing back a safe distance

On 4/25/2019 at 3:40 PM, Anglo Traction said:

Would that be the White Oak Alain?. I know you have several varieties there, just wondered also what type of disease has it suffered from?.

Most English Oaks only seem to be (rarely) affected by Honey Fungus, or partial 'die back'.    

I believe it was a Pin oak or English oak. it had thousands of very solid "balls" all over the branches, some type of fungus or disease, it had started to affect the lower part of the base as there were several large holes near the bottom from insect eating away at the lower core

14 hours ago, Wristpin said:

That is exactly what was infesting the tree and had been for several (many) years, but down at the base their were large holes where insects were attacking the base and hollows at several different places made me concerned about the stability of the tree. after it was cut it wasn't near as bad as I thought but the tree was diseased nonetheless. Thanks for the link, very interesting.