Mowersman

The twin Suffolk...

This all started at the end of 2012 when someone I know posted a Youtube video of a "twin cylinder" Suffolk Iron Foundery engine that he'd made. However the next day, he revealed it to be a fake. Soon after a friend of mine gave me 6 Suffolks that he was otherwise going to scrap and a plan started forming :D

For the US members on the forum, The Suffolk engine is a small cast iron block lawn mower engine, used on Suffolk reel mowers from the 50's through to the early 90's (?). It is almost identical to the Briggs and Stratton Model N, to the point that most of the parts are interchangable. Here is what one looks like before I got my hands on it! maxresdefault.jpg

(Not mine, I must add)

So, a (Not very good...) video showing how mine was made. I'm not very good at taking pictures, so that is all I have at the moment. I plan to do a tear down this year and paint it all, I'll take more pics then

And one of it running!!!

Unfortunatly I don't have a recent video. It now has a single carb, as getting the twin carbs set right was a pain, though I may try twin carb in the future, as I think a lot of the problems were caused by the ignition coil for the 2nd cylinder being on its last legs. it was getting worse and worse every time I ran it and the last time, I would only get th occasional fire on no2 pot. It is currently laid up under the bench, waiting a new coil. The exhausts have also been done with copper and brass fittings, though I plan on making a silencer for it in similar fashion, as it is quite loud. The next part of the plan is to find an engineless 17" Suffolk Super Punch mower and mount it on that!

Andrew

oeh oeh oeh, how did you get the blocks to stay together, i've got a couple of those 75g14's and have been looking into making a twin :D

Koen

As explained in the vid, I just used 3x 1/4UNC socket head cap screws. I would have prefered something stronger, but that was the best option. I plan on making a angle iron base to help strengthen it as well.

Andrew

Andrew, thats fantastic work! I admire your machining skills, and it was a nice design as well. I really look forward to seeing a follow up video when you have it sorted out. :thumbs:

You weren't kidding when you said the Suffolk was alot like a Briggs Model N. There was alot of copying going on with these small engines back then. There were a couple manufactures here in the states that made nearly identical engines to the Briggs Model N as well. Both Cunningham, and Pincor were examples. I love my old Briggs engines, and am especially fond of the Model N. Here are a few of my engines in this thread. http://myoldmachine.com/topic/208-my-old-briggs-engines/

Thanks for the great videos Andrew!

Matt :USA:

Andrew, thats fantastic work! I admire your machining skills, and it was a nice design as well. I really look forward to seeing a follow up video when you have it sorted out. :thumbs:

You weren't kidding when you said the Suffolk was alot like a Briggs Model N. There was alot of copying going on with these small engines back then. There were a couple manufactures here in the states that made nearly identical engines to the Briggs Model N as well. Both Cunningham, and Pincor were examples. I love my old Briggs engines, and am especially fond of the Model N. Here are a few of my engines in this thread. http://myoldmachine.com/topic/208-my-old-briggs-engines/

Thanks for the great videos Andrew!

Matt :USA:

i believe the 5s' are even more identical to the suffolks

Koen

i believe the 5s' are even more identical to the suffolks

Koen

While I won't argue that Koen, as I have no experience with Suffolk engines, I will say this. Briggs quit using that oil pump sump in 1946, and the 5s didn't go into production until 49. Someone could have installed it on the 5s, as its the same as a model N other than its block, rod, and crankshaft, as the 5s has a 2in bore with a 1.5in stroke, and the N was a 2in.x 2in. engine. Here is a list of Briggs models that were very similar built from 1937- the mid 50s. Briggs models WM, WMB, WMG, WI, I, U, N, 5, 5s, 6, 6s, and 8.  The following all have the 2in bore 1.5in stroke. WM, WMB, WMG, WI, I, 5, 5s. While these are a 2x2 engines  U, N, 6, 6s.  The last was the Model 8 which was also physically identical to a Model N, except it had a 2.25in. bore with a 2in stroke. 

Matt