Wallfish

NOS and or Used parts trade

I have a couple small pieces already cut so I can just throw those in an envelope and send it in the mail to both of you tomorrow.

Wallfish,

While I’m sending this piece of gasket did you still need a couple 1/32 carb balls?

1 hour ago, JUST O&R said:

I sent him some small ball's Friday

Thanks!

I'll get some baffles in the mail and Clint's vertical tank. I'll include the NOS gaskets with the tank. That material is probably the best thing we'll find anyway so I'd say it's a go.

At first glance it looks like an earlier style carb that has the side needle and then someone added the more recent needle to the top where it would have originally just had a screw. It also looks like someone tried a plastic diaphragm. And, it appears to be missing the Governor stop set screw.

By the way, we should start looking for a small engine show or tractor show and see if we can’t all meet up there sometime...

On 1/17/2020 at 7:05 AM, JUST O&R said:

Brake fluid will swell rubber to just don't leave the seal in there long or it will fit your ridding mower.

This is what happens when you forget and leave them to long :angry:

IMG_3532[1].JPG

19 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:
On 1/17/2020 at 7:05 AM, JUST O&R said:

Brake fluid will swell rubber to just don't leave the seal in there long or it will fit your ridding mower.

This is what happens when you forget and leave them to long

:lol:

That sucks!

On 1/19/2020 at 9:06 PM, JUST O&R said:

whats wrong with this picture

Old style body with a valve in it and using a valve to hold the primer section on too. Maybe someone needed spare valves :dunno:

At $100 each I'd sell all of mine. $6000 + would finance enough complete engines and then some to replace'm all.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:16 PM, CNew said:

By the way, we should start looking for a small engine show or tractor show and see if we can’t all meet up there sometime...

There's plenty of good shows around here. The best one is down in Colchester CT. Zagray Farm Museum. Lots to see there with many permanent displays of the museum plus all the people which bring their stuff to show, sell and display. Huge vending area with lots of stuff, free on site primitive camping right on the display field. 3 shows per year, Spring Summer and Fall. We bring vintage garden tractors to cruise around on and display with plenty of spare tractors to ride. I've displayed O&Rs there a few times but never the entire collection at once. I'd bring'm all if you guys showed up plus try and get Usedtoolman Jim to bring his stuff. That would probably make around 75 tools or more. Easily over 100 if it included just the engines without a tool.

I've always wanted to go the Florida Flywheelers show so...

If we started now and got the dates of some show I would love to do that.

Florida sounds good to me I go down 2 to 3 time a year anyway might be

able to make that work for sure. now that Zagray farm museum looks very

interesting

I don't know how it will work in the long run but if been sealing the the crank seal to the bearing retainer .

Ive been using liquid tape it seals the rubber to the metal. I will have to let you all know how long it lasts .

Been doing this for some time .This is like some of the newer bearing retainers

IMG_3533[1].JPG

IMG_3534[1].JPG

IMG_3535[1].JPG

IMG_3536[1].JPG

IMG_3537[1].JPG

It was like Christmas morning yesterday at the mailbox. Received that paper gasket material from Clint too and checked it out this morning.

I'm thinking that material might be too thick at .006 for those induction pieces because they fit together with a very tight tolerance. BUT, I'm also using the accurate scientific method of feeling with my fingers to measure them! It does seem perfect for the bigger 5-6 reed valve gasket but very difficult to tell for the 5-5 induction gasket because the gasket is so small. 5-5 seems thinner to me but correct measuring would help.

The wife has some baking parchment paper in a drawer so I pulled it out to have a look and it seems like it may work very well if we need a thinner material for the 5-5. Very thin, high heat and pretty durable material. Plus it's plentiful and cheap.

Either way we should be able to get these cut and have some stock.

How do you guys wanna work this?

Send the NOS gaskets and both samples directly to Eric for him to inspect and cut a few?

Send the NOS gaskets and parchment sample to Clint for measuring and inspection and he can work with Eric for the gaskets?

Either way, I don't mind paying for all of it upfront and we can divide it up later on when the gaskets are ready.

We should include some for David and I can send him a package with gaskets and more diaphragms.

Thoughts?

Parchment paper is an interesting idea. Yeah, that one gasket is just so dang small.  By the way that one tore when I opened up the engine on the fan...

I’ll look to see if we have some parchment paper here - if so I’ll measure it this afternoon and we can decide. I wonder how stable it would be to gas and oil?  Should we soak a piece in gas for a couple days to see what happens?  I don’t mind coordinating with Eric since I’ll need to cut more sheets of the 0.006” material anyway. 

The material won't go far because there's going to be quite a bit of waste. Unfortunately the 2 sizes overlap so waste is going to be 90% of the material unless we can figure out how to use the center circle area for something else.

I'll box up the stuff today and get it sent.

Or we could get Terry to buy and try this :yankchain:

https://www.amazon.com/Allpax-AX7000-Mounted-Rotary-Gasket/dp/B00KJB2OWM/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1N1V0QNGZU7PX&keywords=gasket+cutter&qid=1580048214&sprefix=gasket+cutter%2Chpc%2C166&sr=8-16

And I'll try this one :D

https://www.amazon.com/QST-Compass-Circular-Patchwork-1cm-30cm/dp/B01M650KQX/ref=sr_1_40?crid=1N1V0QNGZU7PX&keywords=gasket+cutter&qid=1580048404&sprefix=gasket+cutter%2Chpc%2C166&sr=8-40

26 minutes ago, CNew said:

http://gasgacinch.com/home/products/

Anyone ever used something like this on the cylinder head gaskets to help create a nice seal?

I haven't. They seal pretty good without gluing them but some get roughed up from removing  them. Stuff like that might make it tough to get the head back off.

BUT, I have thought about covering the used gaskets with something like that and then letting it dry before installing the gaskets. That way it won't stick the head and manifold in place and might provide a better seal. Certainly worth trying either way

Ok, did some quick measurements.  The used gasket was anywhere from 0.004-0.005”, kind of a tricky one to measure.  Not sure but a new gasket might be closer to 0.003-0.004” since it’s dry and hasn’t been exposed to gas and oil.

The Parchment paper I have is 0.003 and the vegetable paper gasket is 0.006 as advertised.

Funny thing is there is a thin brown oily piece of paper packed with each of my micrometers to help prevent rust and corrosion. It’s exactly the right thickness...

C57DC489-0156-4D85-A8F6-E32ACFFA0223.jpeg

9A8ECD1A-DDA9-4511-B6DB-7121F217DD3F.jpeg

81EDD6B7-F309-4794-91CE-7E91E3A710F6.jpeg

Looks like we might be able to get the vegetable fiber/detroiter gasket material in the right thickness. They have some that is 1/200”. Not sure yet if this place will sell direct to individuals but I’ll try sending them a note.

https://www.phelpsgaskets.com/products/gasket-material/non-elastomers/7540-vegetable-fiber.html

I’ve got a small piece of parchment paper and the vegetable fiber gasket material soaking in some gas/oil mix. I’ll check it periodically to see what happens.

Good info there Clint!

That .006 might squish enough to work. Let Eric cut and send a few samples to try before making the big commitment of just making a bunch. The reed gasket can just be a go IMO.

One thing foe sho is to get more of the induction gaskets compared to the reed gaskets. Those thin little things break too easy. The Nos gaskets will swell a little when wet which is completely necessary to get them on so trying a couple to make sure they work is important, just in case the size needs to be tweaked a little.

10 hours ago, Wallfish said:

I think you have been hacking my computer I was looking at that stuff this morning. That first one would work for the cylinder gaskets

but I thing the reed,induction gasket are to thin. By the way I went throw the mail tonight and low and behold Clint sent me some gasket paper

This looks great for the induction gasket but the reed gasket seems a lot thinner.

And with out a doubt we need to send David some . At lest he would have seen my part# screw up and would have told me about it.

some experts you are:yankchain:

I rely hope David is reading this post I think it would keep him smiling :hyper:

42 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

That first one would work for the cylinder gaskets

but I thing the reed,induction gasket are to thin.

There's additional cutters for that stuff too. Just way too expensive for how many gaskets I would need it for. Rather have Eric do it with more precision

https://www.amazon.com/Allpax-AX1402-Non-Metal-Cutter-Steel/dp/B00KJB272Y/ref=pd_bxgy_3/134-5562520-8220452?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00KJB272Y&pd_rd_r=01c869b0-7847-4622-b19a-7ceb4757234e&pd_rd_w=yGMyf&pd_rd_wg=hrpU2&pf_rd_p=fd08095f-55ff-4a15-9b49-4a1a719225a9&pf_rd_r=3BVWCGPYAM5GRW9ADMWS&psc=1&refRID=3BVWCGPYAM5GRW9ADMWS