Wallfish

NOS and or Used parts trade

Just took a peak at the parchment baking paper soaking in the gas and so far no visual changes. I’m going to leave it in there for a couple more days. I may also try to remove it and heat it gently just to see if it reacts at temperature after soaking in gas (I’ll do it over a bucket of water)...

I wonder if something like this might work for the cylinder gaskets?

https://www.garlock.com/en/products/style-9850-high-temp-gasketing

I found another material that looks interesting, FMI 280.

https://www.aspseal.com/pdf/FMI_Non-Asbestos_Gasket_Material.pdf

That looks interesting!!    Looks like they make it from .5 mm to 5.mm

Also looks very durable. The gasket in the picture look like there for chainsaw

Just got done playing with gaskets and the material Clint sent .

5-6 reed gasket seems to be .005

5-5 induction gasket seems to be the same .005

Now the 200470 reed gasket seems to be .017 13b engine

I thing your rite that gasket paper you have  should work fine I don't think + or _ .001 would make a difference. 

I thought that reed gasket was thinner but not by much.

Cylinder gasket 5-14 is .040 give or take

Cylinder gasket 5-15 is .030 give or take

Muffler gasket  5-16 13 .040 give or take so it could be cut out of the center of the 5-14 to save waist

FYI, I sent Eric a note letting him know we are interested in the induction case gaskets.  I’ll let you know when I hear back from him.

Now to find a source of the gasket material for the cylinder head gaskets...

I checked on the parchment paper sample again. No real visual change after soaking for over 24 hrs. 

717E597F-238B-4E6D-ADAD-B3DAB6715593.jpeg

Unfortunately I’m not finding anyone that sells the Flexseals FMI 280 gasket material in the 0.03 range.  Seams 1/16 or 1/8” are the common thicknesses for that one. 

I did find this other material from Thermoseal (C-4401) that might be a candidate and it’s more readily available in 1/32”.

http://www.thermosealinc.com/products/sealing/by-product/klingersil-c-4401

Thoughts?

On 1/27/2020 at 1:52 PM, JUST O&R said:

Muffler gasket  5-16 13 .040 give or take so it could be cut out of the center of the 5-14 to save waist

where does this gasket go?

Never mind, found it on the older engine IPL for the muffler. Don't remember seeing a gasket there before but I haven't played with them for a while.

I'm glade you found it I was just about to put a pic on here to help well maybe I still will # 73 on the diagram.

most don't have them but some do Ive  been putting them on most all of them.

Ohlsson & Rice Compact I II III Engines Parts Nov 65(1).pdf

On 1/26/2020 at 8:53 PM, CNew said:

Just took a peak at the parchment baking paper soaking in the gas and so far no visual changes. I’m going to leave it in there for a couple more days. I may also try to remove it and heat it gently just to see if it reacts at temperature after soaking in gas (I’ll do it over a bucket of water)...

Did you ever fire it up??

Ahhhhh-haaa, I never noticed that little gasket before. Interesting, maybe I’ll start adding those as well.

Ha, yes I put a gentle flame under both and eventually they do ignite. It wasn’t the most scientifically controlled experiment....

Just heard back from Eric. He’s up for making us some gaskets, just need to send the NOS gaskets along with the materials.  I mentioned to him we’re also looking into the cylinder head gaskets once we identify some good material.

15 minutes ago, CNew said:

just need to send the NOS gaskets along with the materials.

NOS gaskets are in the box I sent you with the vertical tank you needed. Also sent a piece of the baking paper I have. it's even the right color but might be too thin.

let me know  if there  is any thing you need and will get this done.

Do you have a 5-16 gasket to send or do want to let to let those go for now? there not relay  important . 

1 hour ago, CNew said:

I mentioned to him we’re also looking into the cylinder head gaskets once we identify some good material

Crap! I shoulda sent some of those too. Plus Eric is very good at finding the correct material too. He found the mylar? plastic we used for those check valves.

Not yet, once I figure out if the material will work I’ll get with Eric to see what all that will cost.

I don’t know yet what it will cost for him to make the induction case gaskets yet either.

I just ordered a piece of Garlock 2900. looks like it has a fairly long lead time before it ships.

I may also look at getting a piece of Garlock 3000 and a piece of Thermoseal C-4401.

Will do.

It’ll be nice if we can finally get this all figured out and have a source for these induction and cycling we head gaskets.