CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Cylinder Head Gasket Material

Finally received the piece of Garlock 2900 gasket material to experiment with for the cylinder head gaskets. At first glance it looks promising. I’ll take some more measurements this weekend and try cutting a sample to try out on an engine.

5A4DE142-13AB-4A38-95A6-51FE351C7084.jpeg

A34FBC74-0387-4879-8B56-44BF35926F1A.jpeg

Nice

Let us know how you make out. These won't need to be a total precision cut down to the .001 so cutting them with your new tool should be fine. The biggest hurdle will be the head lining up correctly when tight so the thickness is more critical. If that material has some "squish" to it then it probably doesn't matter as much.

Good point John, I’ll make note of that when I assemble the head. Can’t remember the compressibility properties for this material.

Some how I mist all this we do need to be politically correct . I'm the worst for that 

21 hours ago, Wallfish said:

If that material has some "squish"

We need to politically correct . so it it squish or compressibility  

First set of gaskets are now cut. I measured the thickness vs the original gasket as well and it looks like the original material is close to 0.034” whereas the new Garlock 2900 material is about 0.030”.  Hopefully the difference isn’t an issue once installed...  It also seems the older gasket material is a little stiffer while the new material has slightly more squish:poke:

DC72CEEF-E09A-4A3F-B965-1DBE0651F650.jpeg

643346F3-AC1F-437A-A3F7-09748BB91A58.jpeg

066AC31E-73D0-411F-A5FF-1B90AE3BE3FE.jpeg

Ok so it has more squish you remember the originals are 50 years old they to were probably a littler more compressible

when they were new.

look they would work just fine.

We can always add a shim ring if the compressibility properties are more squishable than anticipated. The next guy who finds 4 rings is gonna have to figure out what's going on. (see what I did there?)

Or do they offer that same material in .035 or .036?

2 hours ago, Wallfish said:

We can always add a shim ring if the compressibility properties are more squishable than anticipated. The next guy who finds 4 rings is gonna have to figure out what's going on. (see what I did there?)

Or do they offer that same material in .035 or .036?

I haven’t seen any material like this in the 0.035-36 thickness.