CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Type 117 Rebuild

I can't check tonight but I think the rollers from A-20-5-13-7 & A-20-5-16-7 may be the same as "20-5" is coded into both part numbers, 20-5 is the roller originally used in A-27-11.

By the way I checked several packs of A-20-5-13-7 and they all have a waxed strip of 16 rollers, even though only 13 or 14 are needed depending on which service information is correct. :banghead:

SAM_6020a.jpg.fa4daf358b212931c1c1a0c6d7daf65a.jpg

David

6 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

I'm not good at the paperwork side what size is the bearing and does your rod have the slot in it that would make it simpler

for me to find what bearing you need

Here are a couple photos... Each roller bearing measures approximately 0.093” in diameter and 0.276” long

80274E0E-D3DB-46DF-8F12-8351610B5287.jpeg

D5E5731A-339E-4182-9991-4ED865CC7C87.jpeg

Got digging in parts this morning The first pic is a-20-5-13-7 two different  packages one has 13 rollers one has 16 roller.

The last pic is a-20-5-16-7  all the roller are the same size the only difference that I see is the washers. :confused:

All of this were on opened

IMG_3663[1].JPG

IMG_3665[1].JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

This roller situation may have just gotten a little more weird. Big thanks to JustO&R for providing the spare bearing rollers and plastic bearing cage! Good news is the plastic cage fit great.  What is strange is when I started putting the connecting rod bearings back together I tried to use one of the spare rollers and there is absolutely no way to get 14 rollers in there. Everything measures out to be the right size :confused:

It seems odd to have almost a full roller gap in there but maybe it’s only suppose to have 13.  That matches the set that JustO&R reference only having 13 as well. I put it all back together with just 13, guess we will see what happens. 

I can send these spare spare rollers back to you JustO&R so you’ll have them when you need them in the future.

Is that rod bearing supposed be a plastic caged bearing too? That may explain the space between the rollers? Plastic cage bearing should have 9 rollers though.

On 3/2/2020 at 2:56 PM, JUST O&R said:

I need to pin this down I don't think we/I have all the books

The book I'm looking at is 1961 show 20-5 does not show a replacement  shows 9

1962 show a-27-11 and use a-20-5-13-7 show retainer w/rollers

the next book is 1965 a-20-5-16-7 show roller asm

found this with the bearing a-27-5-13-7

IMG_1957[1].JPG

The rod has a cut in it so I think it should have 13 rollers then they changed it again. and again  I don't know the shaft size or the rod size on this but that would let us know or someone has been here before.

28 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

The rod has a cut in it so I think it should have 13 rollers then they changed it again. and again

Take a look in the engine rebuild thread. That rod was changed to a newer slotted rod but I still used a plastic cage bearing with 9 rollers. It fit perfect so this adds more confusion.

The big trick is to not loose the rollers when taking it apart like Clint does. :poke:

Hey now, I’ve actually never lost any rollers:P, just thought I did on this one because if the deceptive spacing.  I’m certain now that this particular rod has the 13 roller set up, no plastic cage involved. The plastic cage I was referring to was for the crankshaft bearing that had a crack in it.

Just bust'n your balls.

But I thought if they had plastic cages, all the bearings are plastic cage bearings. At least the engines I've taken apart so far were like that. But they did make lots of changes as they went along

How did you count them did you

use fingers or toe’s ?

I need to use fingers and toe’s

to get to 14. I would really like

to know exactly what’s going

on with that engine:dunno:

Now Karma has come back to bite me for bust'n Clint. Lost a hole crank end bearing, cage and all. Put it somewhere safe and can't find it now

3 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Just bust'n your balls.

But I thought if they had plastic cages, all the bearings are plastic cage bearings. At least the engines I've taken apart so far were like that. But they did make lots of changes as they went along

Interesting, I’ve never seen a cage with the connecting rod bearings. Seems all the engines I’ve done just have rollers that fit inside the open ends of the rod.

All the other bearings on this engine are the plastic cage type.

Look at the engine rebuild thread. That rod uses plastic cage bearings. Two engines I did recently, same thing. No plastic cages on the last two engines and they have the open rollers with washers.  Guessing that's what's going on.

Just looked at the engine rebuild thread again, very interesting... yep mine just has the open rollers with washers. That seems like a really high stress area to have a plastic cage, maybe that’s why they switched.  

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

Now Karma has come back to bite me for bust'n Clint. Lost a hole crank end bearing, cage and all. Put it somewhere safe and can't find it now

Plastic or metal?  I’ve seen a couple complete but used metal ones on the auction site.  I think I might have an extra metal cage but it doesn’t have the little rollers.

18 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Look at the engine rebuild thread. That rod uses plastic cage bearings. Two engines I did recently, same thing. No plastic cages on the last two engines and they have the open rollers with washers.  Guessing that's what's going on.

They updated them in 1963 to use all metal parts for the bearings with no change to the dimensions, the slotted con-rod is used with the all metal con-rod main bearing as previously mentioned, no need for guessing.

See both points (b) & (c) in the NIAE test report below.

1509070093_NIAETestReport380Febuary1964Page8b.jpg.2640fd06c456259bf5116c3611b3661f.jpg

Later engines increased the diameter of both the crank-pin for the con-rod bearing & the big-end bore of the con-rod, hence the need for 16 rollers instead of 13.

David