Wallfish

Creme Lure Generator refresh

On 4/3/2020 at 12:36 AM, Wallfish said:

Someone has been in here before. Yellow wire not connected So I'll need guidance how to rewire it correctly. I don't know what you call that little "pod" which needs to be connected but I'm assuming it gets connected along with that yellow ground NEG wire

IMG_0567.JPG.af0e7f2fc179bece699656ce337893ce.JPG

It's a press fit diode, used for the low voltage output to convert the alternating current (AC) generated to direct current (DC) in this case it's half-wave rectification as only one diode is used, the two outputs are for charging 6 or 12 volt car batteries.

The alloy casing the press fit diode is fitted in is also being used as a heatsink for the diode.

On 4/4/2020 at 2:56 AM, Wallfish said:

The magnet section is shaped like a yoyo and the windings are in 2 sections which ride in between. There's what I believe is a vacuum tube inside too?

IMG_0587.JPG.bfe0d64acc1dd31febb37a8153c31985.JPG

Looks more like small neon glow lamp to me, filled with neon gas not a vacuum.

Early plastics are terrible for ageing badly, oil fuel & other chemicals, UV light (the sun) can all degrade it, you may need to reinforce the cracked parts where it's possible to add material inside to overlap these.

David

11 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Fixed'm for ya Sling Blade. :poke:

I need to find a cover for the light bulb. Since you're the lawn mower man, would you happen to have a clear fuel primer bulb that size?

Having looked at the pictures of your Creme Lure, I believe someone has shortened the threaded part for the lamp cover.

r5a.jpg.d96eeea7aceb4bcc24d1513ac0c02f47.jpg

By the way I did find a lamp cover that is close to the original but not the same thread, in the process I took the lamp out of mine and now can't get it back in, I guess the lamp holder is too badly rusted.

David

Mine does not have any threads inside the hole to screw a cover in. Think it must've been just a push in thingy or nothing at all.

I had to fix my bulb socket as it just spun while trying to install the bulb. Most likely your problem too?

On 4/3/2020 at 2:20 AM, Wallfish said:

IMG_0580.JPG.8e9eec9681e3f15e381277b845027962.JPG

I was comparing it with this picture, it looks shortened to me and the edges are all rough, someone's modified it just don't know why. :confused:

The holder in mine could be loose, will need to repair it or replace the lamp holder if the contact spring has rusted through.

David

4 hours ago, factory said:

Fixed'm for ya Sling Blade. :poke:

I need to find a cover for the light bulb. Since you're the lawn mower man, would you happen to have a clear fuel primer bulb that size?

Thought I replied before on this you guys are making me loose what little mind I have left . But now i see it was in the other

post I do have primers in a few sizes

IMG_3773[1].JPG

IMG_3774[1].JPG

Got those rite :D

This may help.

IMG_3777[1].JPG

2 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

I do have primers in a few sizes

It's difficult to see the size of the bulbs without any reference but if one of those clear 2 in the middle looks like it could used, let me know. Is one about the size of the cover on the Nichols?

7 hours ago, factory said:

What would the purpose of that be?

Got it all soldered up, cracks reinforced with epoxy and cleaned up best I can. All the electrical stuff works (in theory) using a meter and a couple of smaller batteries taped together for a power source. Haven't run it to test the generator power.

Had to drill a hole in the top of the tank to get the fuel line all straightened out. It's undetectable with engine on and sealed using Seal All. 

IMG_0595.JPG.3ebabc361e20a2f5d8f0e442536e8d15.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG.126fbdf45cdc5a68295382a5c5f9b8ce.JPG

Man, you made quick work of that one, especially given all the speed bumps you hit along the way. That looks really nice, such a cool generator!

On 4/5/2020 at 10:44 PM, Wallfish said:
On 4/5/2020 at 3:00 PM, factory said:

What would the purpose of that be?

I'm actually struggling to think of the purpose of a neon lamp* in the generator, it is also possible it could be a filament lamp (I can't actually see the internals from the picture), there is a part labelled overload protector on the Nichols generator parts list in the other thread, this would make more sense as small filament lamps were also used as fuses in the past, hopefully the wiring diagram will show & confirm the purpose.

David

*apart from over-voltage protection, which wouldn't be of any-use here.

Seems the primer bulb light cover is a success and fit perfectly. Thanks for sending those Terry @JUST O&R. Probably not the best solution ever but it works for this one as it's just a display piece anyway and now looks much better with a cover over the bare light bulb.

IMG_0602.JPG.e71006bba5996f073a5c1f4fce832c48.JPG