Mebob2

2, Never used O&R Tiny Tiger generator

Hi guys, I’ve been reading your site for awhile now, never posted before, just newly registered. Incredible info here, lots of talent. I just got 2 O&R tiny generators. I’m the 3rd owner, 2nd owner only hade for a few days. They were advertised as new, never used. I can’t really confirm that but they are in incredible condition, look like new. The 2nd owner said he didn’t try to start them so my plan was to strip them down, clean, reassemble and get running if possible. A little pull on start cord seems to indicate lots of compression. I’m mechanically inclined but not a mechanic have tinkered with small engines, cleaned a few carbs. You guys have great tutorials. Should I tackle it or just try to sell them ?

I’ll get a couple of pics and post them. 
appreciate your replies

thanks, Rob

Edited by Mebob2

:WMOM:   Rob

Typically to get them running a new carb diaphragm is required if it ever had fuel in it before. You can easily open the diaphragm cap on the carb and check it. If it's stiff at all it will need to be changed to get it to pump fuel and that also indicates that the carb will need to be cleaned because of sticky old 2 stroke oil in there.

Maybe after you get it to run you won't want to sell. These little airplane type engines are kinda of fun to run.

We can hook you up with diaphragms if you need them.

A NOS engine would most like have a clean white pull cord and no exhaust residue in the collection manifold. Wipe a clean white towel or cloth inside there to check.

If you do sell them it might be best to have them running before that to demonstrate to perspective buyers. I prefer non runners as they're typically less expensive and I like to work on them anyway.

Thank you for the reply, very helpful.

Here are some pics of one, maybe you could identify the small piece I found in the box it came in. I also would be interested in any parts you could lead me too that I might need to rebuild 2 carburetors. Could also use a new black receptacle. 
  Again, appreciate your thoughts .

Rob

B659F1EA-26B8-4849-AD6C-389F628AAC42.jpeg

FB8278CE-D64D-4B55-BF87-432A8A1BDFE3.jpeg

F2EBD6EE-82F6-4E65-840B-C6BDA266713A.jpeg

A392A7B6-7F49-4CB4-9E2B-1E785052C923.jpeg

D7C559DA-2A22-486F-ADCD-164EDE7D8F0A.jpeg

4E793232-507F-4894-9D31-7764F2B0129C.jpeg

004EFB86-D731-47CD-BCCE-BB9ACF44E95F.jpeg

5B383E2F-24A4-4D80-8F21-2228764A5C35.jpeg

Here are some pics of second unit. The pull cord cover is oxidized a bit but appears not to be damaged. This one says “110/220 “ as well, maybe they are all the same, I don’t know 

801649C1-A83E-4C4E-8E23-97C5C543AB0A.jpeg

E8272AB6-AAB9-4D10-8635-230629BBB70E.jpeg

673B4F9C-4E8B-4462-88E1-1F36E055DC62.jpeg

34734E2D-1E50-472C-8562-4ABD93AFE347.jpeg

1E4C5678-4404-4E0E-903A-73F27A2E9167.jpeg

E1D1A396-727C-4EFA-9DCE-9084E82D5108.jpeg

915BD4F0-04B5-4763-9147-C9962D1F590A.jpeg

Edited by Mebob2

nice.

240v would be the European version. Whats your location?

open the carb caps and check the diaphragms.

Not sure but maybe that piece is a spacer where it mounts to the base?

electrical receptical here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MPJ-32040PL-AC-POWER-SNAP-IN-OUTLET-RECEPTACLE-JACK-NEMA-1-15R-2-WIRE-15A-125V/401227594123?hash=item5d6b07398b:g:H30AAOSwImRYLkHk

Make sure you check the air cleaners. If there's any foam inside, poke at it to see if it crumbles. If it does you'll need to remove it all or it will get sucked into the engine

I have a few generators but those are nice. If your plan is to sell, let me know what your asking

I really appreciate your help and direction.

I’m in Nova Scotia, Canada . 
  Is the fuel line easy to get, is it similar to modern small engine fuel line.

tks, Rob

Very good, I’ll likely start by taking the 220v one apart on weekend. Get exhaust, fuel tank off, plug out and see what piston, cyl walls look like. If I put some oil down plug hole would it be ok to pull it over to check for spark?

:WMOM:

Very nice, there aren't many 220/240V versions about, even in the UK where our mains supply is that voltage.

The first one with the serial decal, has an engine dating from Feb 1968, can't see the plate clearly enough on the second one to comment on the date.

I recommend changing the filter foam, even though they don't look used, 50+ year old foam ages badly and will crumble apart.

2 hours ago, Wallfish said:

If you do sell them it might be best to have them running before that to demonstrate to perspective buyers.

If he plans to sell & ship them, it may be best not to run them, as gas & shipping companies are not a great mix. I had someone send an O&R bike kit full of gas, USPS seized it as it was leaking out of the box and that was the end of that. :banghead:

1 hour ago, Mebob2 said:

If I put some oil down plug hole would it be ok to pull it over to check for spark?

Yes distributing a small amount of oil around the cylinder & piston is a good idea as it will prevent it getting stuck in long term storage, be sure to park the piston so that it blocks the exhaust ports if storing.

David

I posted a pic with a better view of serial number on 220v unit. I watched a great video on the disassembly of a tiny tiger generator, I spent the last 2 evenings looking for it again, no way can I find it, any idea of where it may be?

thanks again for help,

I have no spark on 220v unit, so starting  to take apart and check points 

44DCB2C1-BA44-4579-B752-E1978BB3F3E5.jpeg

11 hours ago, Mebob2 said:

I posted a pic with a better view of serial number on 220v unit. I watched a great video on the disassembly of a tiny tiger generator, I spent the last 2 evenings looking for it again, no way can I find it, any idea of where it may be?

thanks again for help,

I have no spark on 220v unit, so starting  to take apart and check points 

44DCB2C1-BA44-4579-B752-E1978BB3F3E5.jpeg

That one has an engine made in Feb 1974, which was the last year that these engines were branded as O&R, in December 1974 they started advertising under the new name of AEP (Advanced Engine Products Inc).

I've not seen any videos that I can recommend, none of them seem to do any research into how to repair these engines beforehand, but then again you've got to remember they are mainly made for entertainment purposes only and aren't really tutorials.

As well as the Tiny Tiger rebuild guide @Wallfish posted, there are others here for the carb & engine, also if you don't have the original manual for those Tiny Tigers I scanned mine & added it to the Manuals thread.

David

Thanks David, much appreciated, nice to have the serial number info. I’m pretty much set to go to try and rebuild them just need a contact for carb parts if you could point me in right direction. 

thanks again

Ronert

Contact either @Wallfish or @CNew by private message & they should be able to supply some new laser cut carb diaphragms. What condition were the original ones in?

The later Tiny Tiger engine may use the carb with the rubber pad attached to the diaphragm arm, we don't have a source for replacing these, but hopefully it will still be OK if it's not been run. :fingerscrossed: If not we can advise alternate parts.

David

Edited by factory

7 minutes ago, factory said:

@RobertDFW :WMOM:

I'm a bit confused as to why you've quoted that post twice but haven't added a comment or question about it. :dunno:

David

I'm sorry I don't mean to be unkind. Or anything to hide I just simply didn't understand the format of the Forum I guess

11 minutes ago, RobertDFW said:

I'm sorry I don't mean to be unkind. Or anything to hide I just simply didn't understand the format of the Forum I guess

It's No problem. I can delete those posts. Do you have a question to ask about it?

There's a little "Thumbs up" at the lower right of each post which you can use to react to any post but don't necessarily want to reply.

43 minutes ago, RobertDFW said:

That's OK, if you do have any questions about the Tiny Tiger or these engines we will try & help.

David

thanks David it was just like the one that had been refurbished on this form I don't know if I'll keep it or sell it or what it all depends on what it's worth can you tell me refurbished what they're worth please her

And that's a thumbs-up on the thumbs up LOL

Here is what I said around 12 months ago when someone asked about the value of a Tiny Tiger, along with certain chainsaws they are very common, remember to check recent sold prices/completed listings, but be very careful with "buy-it-now" items as ePay hide the actual lower sold price if "best offer" was used.

I'm not sure a refurbished one would sell for more than a nice clean original one, it all depends on the amount of people interested at the time of selling and what they are prepared to pay.

David

On 5/25/2019 at 1:05 PM, factory said:

Welcome to the forum Alex and thanks for posting pictures of your Tiny Tiger.

It looks like it maybe the very common Model 300 (the band around the generator with these details is missing), these don't make anywhere near that (where did you get the 350 figure from?) as they were very popular in the 1960's and so many have survived.

From your pictures I can see the condenser needs a repair, the spark-plug lead reattaching and the cylinder side plate is missing, also I can't tell if the primer button is missing from the carb or if the carb has one of the top covers without this.

Model 300 Tiny Tiger generators in this condition typically make around $75 to $125. Rarer models with the larger tank and boxed like new ones can make around $200 to $250 or sometimes more dependant on the number of interested buyers at the time.

Here is a current screen-grab of completed listings on eBay.com, even that very nice condition complete Tiny Tiger with paperwork only made $138.

1432675205_Screenshot_2019-05-25tinytigergeneratoreBay.jpg.a1b674db815c6552ca7f934051044d39.jpg

Hope this helps with the value and I'm sorry if it seems a lot lower than you thought.

David