Sign in to follow this  
Stormin

Wheel Horse Fun.

While mowing the green and verges yesterday, I sensed some vibration, more than usual. I've replaced the anti vibration spacers between engine and wobble plate. After fitting them there was just a trace of vibration.

When I'd finished mowing I decided to investigate. I found two broken bolts. One LH rear and one RH front. No wonder there was more vibration. I'd no spare bolts, but I do have a quantity of 10mm cap head Alan bolts. They'll do thinks I. I'll remove the cross bars that the wobble plate sits on and re-thread the holes.

The rear bar came of easily. The front was a different kettle of fish. The bolts were inaccessible due to the front axle. So the tractor was jacked up, wheels removed,tie bars disconnected and axle lowered. I could then get at the bolts with a socket and short extension bar.

Re-drilling the holes was fun, as I don't have any Vee blocks. Carefully fit in the hand vice and level up with a spirit level. Then tapped them out and re-fitted. Engine of course was still in place, but with a big tyre bar levering the engine up, I got the bars in place. Replace axle, tie bars and wheels. Let the tractor down and then the fun started.

Using the same method I replaced the spacers and bolts. But would the bolts line up with the holes.. I must have fought on for an hour and wishing I had four hands.

Had a coffee, sit down and a think. Back to the tractor and then it hit me. Wazack! I'd got the rear cross bar in the wrong holes in the chassis/frame. There's two sets about an inch apart and I'd used the rear ones. The rear bar was to far back. :angry-banghead: 

Got the bolts started and then another problem showed up. An Alan key/wrench would not fit due to the close proximity of the heads to engine. That was solved by cutting off about 3/8" off the end of a key. That and a 8mm ratchet ring spanner did the job.

P1030428.JPG.479dca575e8122de02ca234123bddc69.JPG

Got a nice smooth tractor again. :)