Stormin

Future fun.

During the recent storm, a rather large tree was uprooted down the bridleway. Those who know me have no need to guess who'll be having it for firewood. But it's position it is in, leaning over the bridleway and against a tree on the opposite side, makes getting down on the ground a bit tricky.P1040015.JPG.d0d1710680909c1a4261b3e3d685e744.JPG

P1040016.JPG.0fc6e50c5d4c185990f060135fd269f0.JPG

P1040017.JPG.4e2c3b0f1a5ddcc6cc27731a6dff93d7.JPG

P1040018.JPG.6c4755902483450ff3d5d2c863c904f4.JPG

I do have a plan that hopefully will work. Remove as many limbs as I can, not mine I hasten to add, to reduce the weight. Then get one of the lads from the farm round the corner with the telehandler. Get that under the tree as near to the top as possible, ease it up and push it over onto the bridleway. May be a while before it can be done.

what a shame Norman I hate seeing trees that have been weakened and ultimately destroyed by ivy looks as if there could be more to come unless someone takes an axe to the ivy stems. Take care when you cut it. JC

If yo fancy a run up to Aberdeenshire you can help me with this lot!

1782612313_Treesontopofhouse.JPG.5650b1e19fa80bc931e484e7a251c917.JPG

2140480794_BackPorch.JPG.676f09d6f1c0b4298cb3df8f03b1e44e.JPG

1199989827_WhiteSed.JPG.3ffe6d36d2ec84d0f37888bc500f2804.JPG

I've got another through the roof of the workshop but thankfully not above the Gloria.
Another one came down on the greenhouse and took out the electricity cables to the house which I reported on Saturday.
Whole area lost power at 5.40 PM on Friday and they switched it back on tonight at 5.30 PM leaving me with a live cable lying in the garden.
Managed to find a crew working down the road and explained the situation so four trucks and five guys appeared about 6.00 PM and cables and power restored at 7.00 PM.
Total devastation in the forest at the back with hardly a tree left standing, definitely a job for the professionals.

Aye! You over on the east coast really copped it. Things were pretty bad in the Lake District with power cables down, trees blocking roads and flooding..

Plesed to hear the Gloria was unscathed. :thumbs:

Was talking to a woman in her 80's who remembers the 1953 gales and she thought Friday night was even worse, certainly the scariest I've encountered with trees cracking and thumping as they hit the ground and the house.
Here's the one on the workshop
1217106138_Workshop2.JPG.522d5c1d18e98a6be7f647c1629461ce.JPG

Haven't heard back from the insurance yet but they'll have kittens when they realise it's an asbestos roof.
Can't get in to the forest for a decent photo but you can see all roots in the air.

I3010005.JPG.6d9908f21fb2bf546f13d911fcf9d1da.JPG

Certainly more than one old pensioner and his 18" chainsaw can cope with but my sister who owns the forest is considering sharing the cost of a monster chipper to cope with the brushwood.

19 hours ago, Aiberdonian said:

Certainly more than one old pensioner and his 18" chainsaw can cope with.

Pity your so far away. I'd enjoy giving it a damn good try. :D

I'll just have to be content helping my mate over the Border in D&G.

Aye, I can't even offer you accommodation as my trailer tent got squashed as well!!
The quantity is one thing but they are so closely packed that access is limited and we're stuck for anywhere to pile up the brushwood now as all our tracks through the trees and dumping areas are gone.
Quite a few leaning trees and there's nowhere to run when the roots fall back, we'll leave this one to the younger guys with big machines who'll leave it a right mess probably.  

Sitting here with the tin hat on listening to the wind howling through what's left of our trees
It's coming from the south this time but no guarantee the trees will fall northwards.

Survived last night with no drama, just a bit hard on the rum and tobacco.
Have arranged tele-handler and retired professional wood cutter from up the road to come and remove tree from workshop next week but will wait until Monday to see which day will be the best weatherwise.