marxter1

Ohlsson and rice chain saw identifying

Are there any current members that could help me with proper identifying of my vintage chain saw.

I can provide pics and serial numbers.

I have good compression, and spark.

Base of carb mounting flange cracked.

Thought about JB weld fix. And hand surface flat.

And I think a little, "bb' , is missing from the diaphragm chamber, though the gaskets seem to remain playable enough.

If you're out there.

I can get photos and numbers to you.

Thank you for taking a look at my post.

Mark Etheridge

707-858-0119

Yes I can send later.

It's basically one of the 2 "ears" , broken off flat faced mounting flange like manifold to head on 4stroke.

And I'm pretty sure I dropped a little bb' from carb diaphragm chamber.

Thank you for your help.

It is much appreciated.

Is the a model or year issue I should know?

Many carbs are interchangeable as those type are the most common. Not just chainsaws but most O&R engines have those which will bolt right on. If the ear is completely broken off then you will probably need a replacement. Repairs will not be strong enough to hold it tight and the vibration will probably crack JB weld. If it were just cracked then maybe it's salvageable.

The little ball bearings can typically be found in the old school type hardware stores with the little drawers full of that small stuff.

There were 2 different size bearings used--they are 1/16" or 3/32" ball bearings

Found a carb body if you need it

IMG_0139(1).jpg.b12cb086813938d9674b5f24d49b9924.jpg

A closer look. This cover is different from the Mustang saws but that seems to be the only major thing that's different. Maybe the paint color but that could just be pics.

Many were branded under different names with minor adjustments like many other O&R tools were. Mostly paint and decals but some with body panels too. All the other parts are the same.

IMG_20220814_120136168.jpg.c0f7f1c604e2f521c82b288b28ca3cda.jpg.d2c2473690431a320178330bf6df1554.jpg

7 hours ago, Fishnuts2 said:

That looks like a homemade fix for the missing clutch cover.  Fortunately, that's an easy part to find.

That was my first thought as well but then in this pic it looks more professional. Not that someone couldn't make that but then there isn't any other paint color obvious under that color at the scrapes and missing paint. Someone could paint it too but I'd guess if someone was to go through all that trouble of completely striping the paint and building a part it would be easier to just find a correct part and make it a complete restore job. :dunno: I'm guessing it could be another branded Mustang with little change to the cover

IMG_20220814_120212799.jpg.cf604f6a1d6c0197a40be9137dee7292.jpg.4f690381c91fe27d3f3dbaba1a79ac2a.jpg

On 8/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, Wallfish said:

That was my first thought as well but then in this pic it looks more professional. Not that someone couldn't make that but then there isn't any other paint color obvious under that color at the scrapes and missing paint. Someone could paint it too but I'd guess if someone was to go through all that trouble of completely striping the paint and building a part it would be easier to just find a correct part and make it a complete restore job. :dunno: I'm guessing it could be another branded Mustang with little change to the cover

IMG_20220814_120212799.jpg.cf604f6a1d6c0197a40be9137dee7292.jpg.4f690381c91fe27d3f3dbaba1a79ac2a.jpg

Yup, I think you're correct on that.  I didn't study all the photos, just the one from the side which looked simply like a strap had been fashioned to fasten the front handle.  I noticed now that it even has the starting instruction decal applied on the top too.

There seems to be a large number of variations for us to collect!

If it has a type number stamped into the cylinder plate and/or the crankcase, then I could look it up in the list & see who it was rebranded for.

David