Brandon

Tiny Tiger fix up

Hi Folks, 

New to the group here. Been working on small engines and lawn and garden equipment most of my life. Necessity at first but more of a hobby now. Came across one of these Tiny Tigers and figured I would start a thread here. I have read up on them and checked out a couple videos on the web. Neat little unit. So far I have confirmed spark and see its missing a tank hold down screw, blower shroud and air filter. As I proceed with cleanup and test I figured I would post updates here. Might reach out if I can't locate those missing parts. Seem hard to come by.

Thanks!

Brandon

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by Brandon

:WMOM:

Missing the most common stuff that people don't put back on. Air filter and then the air baffles. There should also be a rubber cap cover on the spark plug.

Air filter- keep looking on ebay but they go quickly because many are missing

The plug cap cover can be made using a product called Plasti-Dip

I can search my parts to see if there's an extra air baffle/shroud

you will need a new diaphragm for the carb and to give the carb a good thorough cleaning. See the carb tutorial thread.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips! I was able to source a carb kit from Ebay. Certainly interested in a shroud if you have a spare. 

Thanks again!

B

58 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

You can always make one there not to hard to make one of this was made 

HEY! a Terry sighting on here. Glad to see you posting.

4 hours ago, Wallfish said:

HEY! a Terry sighting on here. Glad to see you posting.

I have been here for a while just to keep an eye on you so you don't mislead any one else :D

I remember a few years back you sent me this . I still cant make it run

.IMG_3734[1].JPG

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I was thinking the same! Maybe fashion something out of soup can. :P

That one was made out of a thin piece of aluminum you can get at Lowe's.

4 minutes ago, CNew said:

Great to see you back in the action. It’s time we all get back into some O&R projects!

Ive been keeping an eye on you too just not a lot of time these days. Things are starting to work out and I hope to have some time to do what I love to do.

just set at the work bench and fix things , I'm going to dig out something and get it going. my problem is everything is still in boxes.

8 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

have been here for a while just to keep an eye on you so you don't mislead any one else :D

I remember a few years back you sent me this . I still cant make it run

LOL

You forgot the gas

6 hours ago, CNew said:

It’s time we all get back into some O&R projects!

Agreed. Been eyeballing some for rebuild, spruce up etc.

It's about time because winter time is O&R time if I get some time this time.

Just went though the carb. Someone was in there and appeared to have given up. They must not have known about the tutorial. That fishing line trick worked like a champ. Just glad I didn't lose the little roller that promptly fell out upon disassembly and landed in the carpet. 

Anyway. Fresh gaskets, diaphragm and lines. Blow test works (ball valve closes and seals). Scored some new decals for the blower shroud, once it warms up here was planning to repaint that, put on the new decals and give it a rip. 

Question - I have been hearing that the 50:1 premix in a can from big box stores can be used in older engines. Even if said engine was designed for a different oil to fuel ratio. Something about the mix in the canned fuel being synthetic unlike the petroleum based stuff from yesteryear. Not that its a big deal to get some outboard oil to mix... However  I use the canned premix stuff for all my other small engines to keep the lines and diaphragms from rotting. Think the 50:1 premix will work without wrecking anything or should I play it safe and mix my own?

Edited by Brandon
typo

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

Think the 50:1 premix will work without wrecking anything or should I play it safe and mix my own?

Add some oil to get about 32:1 but don't use outboard oil. It's different than air cooled oil. Something with the ash and ashless and etc. Always best to run heavier on oil than lean. Haven't fouled a plug yet at 32:1 so...

Even at 32:1 you have 1/2 the amount of oil. 50:1 is way to lean on oil for these IMO. It might work but you should know if it doesn't by the bottom of the first tank full.

Best to give it a rip and get it all running BEFORE paint. You may need to remove the cover a couple times and noth'n suck worse than scratching up new paint. $0.02