TITCH

Tractors

Just thought I'd mention my Tractors, the British built BMB Presidents.

Is this the right section though folks?? For a look, www.bmbpresident.com if you're interested in another red tractor.

Titch

Titch , you can post pics of your tractors here within the forum

I am a great lover of the BMP tractor , would love to own one one day

OK thanks folks,

Oh.. just been summoned/threatened for my evening meal... best go but back later    ( did I set this to underline?? )

Titch

You accidently set it to underline by having your cursor hovering over the underline icon in the tool bar , dont worry we all do it LOL

post-95-0-22783900-1390259066_thumb.jpgAh, nearly underlined again... Doh!

So, President Tractors, sometimes I think wrongly called Horticultural, but, they were used commonly in Market Gardening, and I like them anyway, I've got three!

If anyone's interested, I run the BMB President Tractor Club, we are members of the FBHVC here in the UK and also I can register Presidents via DVLA for registration numbers.

Quirky but small & light enough to move around!

I too like the president tractor , I allways thought they were a farm tractor until i read that they are class as a Garden tracor . Im sure they would do most of what a farm tractor would do .

Do they have the facility for a 3 pt hitch ?

post-95-0-98620900-1390288405_thumb.jpgHi Neil,

well, that's the point of debate that can cause upset, don't worry I'll not get upset, but they were built as a farm tractor and sold as the same.

Engine is an 8hp Morris 8 adapted engine. Used & tested around Southport Lancs. where they were built, the ground was light and were always successful when it was light ground, but having such a small hp, heavy soils & clay were a non starter. Mid mounted cultivators etc were good therefore for the lighter work and anything related to the top levels of the soil, Ironically, Ceylon had many many Presidents in the wetlands of the rice fields, light enough to travel without bogging etc, also Australia had many exported there too. But yes, a farm tractor not garden tractor, but for lighter duties.

And, the three point linkage system, that's when in the early 50's Mr.Ferguson came along with a certain little Grey Tractor with this revolutionary system.... that killed the President and many other manufacturers if they weren't to follow with that idea, and of course, national standard nowadays, well, International Standards. 

So yes, British through & through, a seven year lifespan pretty much, small & light & easy to house is my fascination with them, oh, plus my fathers first car was a Morris 8, But surely, I'm too young to remember that ........

Titch

Quite possibly my other connection that red!!

I have a Wheelhorse still, compliments of our friend The Showman, but haven't done anything to it yet. We shall be moving house very soon, I have plans for it.........

But that 6WD of yours,... well.. an awesome technological piece of brilliance in my eyes!!

attachicon.gifA grand day at home.jpgHi Neil,

well, that's the point of debate that can cause upset, don't worry I'll not get upset, but they were built as a farm tractor and sold as the same.

Engine is an 8hp Morris 8 adapted engine. Used & tested around Southport Lancs. where they were built, the ground was light and were always successful when it was light ground, but having such a small hp, heavy soils & clay were a non starter. Mid mounted cultivators etc were good therefore for the lighter work and anything related to the top levels of the soil, Ironically, Ceylon had many many Presidents in the wetlands of the rice fields, light enough to travel without bogging etc, also Australia had many exported there too. But yes, a farm tractor not garden tractor, but for lighter duties.

And, the three point linkage system, that's when in the early 50's Mr.Ferguson came along with a certain little Grey Tractor with this revolutionary system.... that killed the President and many other manufacturers if they weren't to follow with that idea, and of course, national standard nowadays, well, International Standards. 

So yes, British through & through, a seven year lifespan pretty much, small & light & easy to house is my fascination with them, oh, plus my fathers first car was a Morris 8, But surely, I'm too young to remember that ........

Titch

Titch, Many apologies in getting the differences wrong , I must have read the information  wrong ,, that it was a farm tractor & not a garden tractor. I did wonder why as it is not exactly a small tractor , either way i still like the tractors , I own a grey fergy , but prefer the look of the BMP .

& i would imagine by having the morris engine would be quite easy to work on ????

No worries Neil, at all!

Hi Mark too, you OK?

The Morris side valve engine is pretty simple yes, my own beef with the tractor, especially on the early one with flat top wings, is the adaptation of the throttle & linkages etc... 'awkward' I could change it to the later type, but although I'm no purist, it does take away the authenticity a bit.

But yes, simple, light and.... well, again, I just like 'em.

Here's a shot of the early one when it was 12 months old... I have been very lucky to be in touch with the original owners son... a trifle older than me of course, and have been presented with quite a few original shots ... and the original reg/ Log book ... NICE!post-95-0-28581600-1390312583_thumb.jpg

Quite possibly my other connection that red!!

I have a Wheelhorse still, compliments of our friend The Showman, but haven't done anything to it yet. We shall be moving house very soon, I have plans for it.........

But that 6WD of yours,... well.. an awesome technological piece of brilliance in my eyes!!

Good to hear you have a Wheel Horse titch, but then I am rather partial to them :D

Thanks for your compliment on my 6WD, it's been a technological annoyance for a few weeks with an important weld constantly breaking!!   I hope I have got it finally sorted this afternoon.

Yes I often looked in at the build thread on the 6WD and on your You Tube thingy, also saw it at Ardingley but never got to speak to you about it.

I'm an avid admirer of it, Brilliant..

Right, now where's that Showman bloke.. is he hiding here........................

Very nice Titch,

Its great that you got those old photo's and log book from the previous owners son. Its always nice to know the history of a machine makes, it that bit more special. :D

post-95-0-63843600-1390516277_thumb.jpg

Ah,

I did get that wrong before, I had the logbook actually and it is STILL in his fathers name.. he, the son aged high 70's now, hadn't seen it since 1957!! and to see the look on his face, especially seeing his own fathers name on it,.. well.. eeeemotions or what!!

Here's a picture of him, the son, on the President when he was about 16, also unknown to him, one of the same series of photo's in an adjoining field, is actually in the book Bill Mills & Joe Paget wrote on the President story.. and he never even knew about it!!!!

Where's the bloody hanky........

Titch