The Fife Plooman

First ploughing match this year

I have never had a go at ploughing but would love to give it a try . How hard is it .?

I guess it looks easy until you try to do it , a bit like laying bricks .

Great pics

i had my first go this yearand realy enjoyed it , never did get a strait furrow and people laughed at my painted plough, i had a top ploughman next to me and his was very neat, but it took him all day to cover the area i did in an hour, i came home with a big smile on my face, where he went home very upset cos he didnt win :D

post-97-0-67234900-1411311255_thumb.jpg

Some nice straight, well turned furrows there, George. :thumbs:

Came across a working day by accident yesterday near Dumfries. Went back later to have a look see. Turned out to be the Scottish (Southern) Region Friends of Ferguson annual working day. So only MH and MF tractors with the exception of one Ford.

Also an old MH baler with twin diesel to power it and a couple of interesting hay bobs.

Typically I'd not my camera  with me. :banghead:  :banghead:

Wow incredible skills, last time I tried I don't think I even had the plough set-up correctly. I think I need to follow up on suggestion of knitting.

Iain

Hi Iain

Find out if there is a ploughing match in your area and go along  look at what they are doing you can ask questions   the settings that apply to the big tractors apply to the small tractors but are more critical Have Fun

George S

:england::confused::brr:

Andrew,

For your Bolens you need a sleeve hitch first and then search for a plough, they do come up on the auction site. I have a small sleeve hitch plough and a few others I was planning to convert.

Picture of a Bolens sleeve hitch on one of my H16's

post-276-0-73654600-1411718640_thumb.jpg

I also have a new old stock sleeve hitch for a Wheelhorse but I have not decided which tractor to fit it to yet.

Iain

Iain,

There's one on that auction site from the USA. Hopefully there might be one in the UK at some point. Still I can plough at the front when there's snow! On a serious note, I can really see the attraction of ploughing; I drove Internationals ,Fords and MFs on farms when I was at Uni and always thought I should have a go at ploughing then.