danarmdave

westwood s1100

hi everyone i bought a westwood ride on mower a couple of weeks ago for £40.00 it is complete but been lying for three years i have put a new ignition switch  /battery /fuel line /fuel filter /plug /plus repaired the chewed up starter cog and spring and fresh oil  but it still wont turn over with the key when you turn key ignition lights come on and their is a clicking sound under the bulkhead where the solenoid is could it be that because the fuses in the ignition line are not blown also if you take the air filter off and turn the petrol on it just pours out of the hole the the air filter screw screws into and the only way you can get it to turn over is with jump leads onto the starter and earth it on a bolt head and sometimes it starts but usually just turns over and over with nothing happening sorry this is so long winded but i am a diesel man i have no place in the petrol engine world they run rings round me so please someone help any ideas         many thanks     danarmdave            dave k :wacko:  :confused:  :banghead:  :bow:  :dunno:       ps i do have a load more photos to download including the westwood :coolphotos:

sounds firstly like the float is jiggered in the carb - probably worth stripping down and cleaning. That might fix both issues - the too much fuel and the not running properly.

If the solenoid is rusty or badly arced then it might need replacing

mark

What Mark says re the Solenoid....junk it and fit a new one. Carb/starting issues also, but depends on the age and engine Model what needs to be checked and sorted.

I presume the engine is an 11hp Briggs?.

Don't know much about Westwoods, but have been into and around a few Briggs engines.

Plenty of experienced people on here to help you through it. Pics are always helpful and well received.

As Mark said, give the carb a clean out. With standing the float needle could be sticking. That could apply to the solenoid as well. Sometimes a light tap with a hammer or spanner helps. My C-120 liked a tap. :D