Tom

Lathes

Hi,

First of all I hope this is the right category for this, if not would a moderator be kind enough to move it for me to the right section, thank you!

I have been looking and researching into lathes recently as it's something that interests me. It would also prove helpful with future projects I have planned and most likely in the future I will be using it in my job. I am creating this thread to ask you guys out there who have experience with lathes what a good beginner lathe would be for me? Bearing in mind I have no previous experience with lathe working I have only read up about them and how they work.

I planned to get a small lathe first, maybe the size of a Myford 7 roughly? The reason for this is because I guess it would be easier to learn on a smaller lathe, the cost would hopefully be lower and I don't really want to turn any big pieces of metal, to start with anyway. I have looked at those Clarke lathes in Machine Mart but upon reading reviews they don't seem to be very strong and I think they have plastic drive sprockets which are prone to breaking.

I realise it isn't something I will learn overnight and it takes a lot of skill but this is why I want to start now, while I am still young and then I can build up my knowledge as I progress. I appreciate and tips or advice about lathes as I am still a complete newbie but it's definitely something I would like to learn about.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Tom,

We've kinda got a lathe thread here.... http://myoldmachine.com/topic/420-what-lathe-have-you-got/

Not that a new thread is an issue, I think it's ok here as well. Unless we put it in the tools or metalwork section.

Have a read through that thread, there's a lot going on. The myfords are nice, I have an SL7 which does a great job.

The old ones are good, heavy and reliable - good examples are expensive too!

Hi,

I was unsure whether to post in that thread because I didn't know if you wanted to keep it as a sort of picture thread if you like.

I will have a good read through of that thread again. I would love a Myford but I wondered if I got one of those whether I would be jumping into the deep end if you get me and whether it was suitable for me to learn on. As you say though the older lathes seem to be a lot more reliable.

Tom

I'll let the others chime in, but generally most British lathes that have been kept indoors and maintained are a good start. Look up myford, boxford, Colchester, Harrison, Kerry. That's a few common ones in the UK. Some might be a little big or three phase. You can get good deals on those. But they take some moving though and a three phase inverter is over £100.

You need to check one out that's in use, then at least you can look for some signs of abuse. Hammer rash, saw marks and wear grooves should be avoided. If the oilers are in use and you can see if there's any play in the cross slide, chuck, etc.

Basically if its use able then you can work and learn. Size or age is irrelevant, its practice, patience and more practice...

I agree with Mark. Check the things he's mentioned and size is not important for learning on. Just be careful though. Don't buy to small, then be wanting something bigger five minutes down the road. Also don't jump at the first one you find, unless you are really sure it's for you.

Thanks for your responses guys, I appreciate it. I am definitely not rushing into buying one and I am willing to wait for the right one and even pay a bit more for a good one if I have to. I may speak to a few friends who have lathes and have a go with their lathes and learn a little more, it may even pay to get someone who knows a bit about lathes to tag along with me if I find one to help my check over it.

Thanks again for all your help and advice,

Tom

Tom,

Unfortunately second-hand lathes are as rare as rocking horse poo in our part of the country. I ended up with a larger Colchester as I was looking for something that would take at least a 3/4 bar through the stock. I have found that I can do small work on a large lathe but would have really struggled with a small lathe. 

The lathe at the last Dove auction would have been perfect for you as it was in fantastic condition. I didn't see what it went for but from memory I think it was a Boxford.

The only consideration for a large lathe, as flagged by others is moving it. I do have some gear to help with moving if you get stuck.

It is always worth looking for one that comes with a selection of chucks and steadies as they can be expensive to buy afterwards.

Iain

Hi Iain,

I certainly agree with you, it seems difficult to find a nice example in our area. I would love a big lathe and the only thing putting me off is the expense of it. Moving it is no problem as I have a forklift ect but it's just the cost I'm not sure I could afford to start with. Also do a lot of the bigger lathes use three phase?

Ideally I'd like a lathe with a good collection of chucks and tools to keep me going for a while because as you say they can be expensive.

Tom

I bit the bullet and bought a digital 3 phase inverter converter. Lots of money but it does my lathe, mill, shaper and eventually my 4 post lift and hoist. Looking at my lathe it would have been relatively easy to fit a single phase motor and this is much easier to do on the older machines.

When I was looking I found a few 3 phase machines that were being sold complete with a inverter. Some even had a DRO fitted, oh how I would love a DRO.

I was lucky in the end and got my lathe locally but if you were willing to travel you have so much more choice.

Iain

I bit the bullet and bought a digital 3 phase inverter converter. Lots of money but it does my lathe, mill, shaper and eventually my 4 post lift and hoist. Looking at my lathe it would have been relatively easy to fit a single phase motor and this is much easier to do on the older machines.

When I was looking I found a few 3 phase machines that were being sold complete with a inverter. Some even had a DRO fitted, oh how I would love a DRO.

I was lucky in the end and got my lathe locally but if you were willing to travel you have so much more choice.

Iain

Agree the variable speed control on my inverter is the mutts! :D

DRO would be fab too!

Take your time deciding Tom, It depends on what the largest thing you'll likely want to put on it to machine?.

Myfords are great for light - medium work. Been a favourite for Model Engineers for many years, parts are plentiful in comparison.

Old ones are Imperial measurement / later ones Metric, so depends on your primary preference, but you should be able to obtain change wheels to produce work on both in either unit of measurement. 

So if, as you say, your plan is to find one to start on , then upgrade, you'll not go wrong with a common Myford  

I went through the learning process as you will have to, but I had to overhaul mine first.

I found great advice and learning references by obtaining a few books.......Happy to PM you a few titles if you wish.

Take your time deciding Tom, It depends on what the largest thing you'll likely want to put on it to machine?.

Myfords are great for light - medium work. Been a favourite for Model Engineers for many years, parts are plentiful in comparison.

Old ones are Imperial measurement / later ones Metric, so depends on your primary preference, but you should be able to obtain change wheels to produce work on both in either unit of measurement. 

So if, as you say, your plan is to find one to start on , then upgrade, you'll not go wrong with a common Myford  

I went through the learning process as you will have to, but I had to overhaul mine first.

I found great advice and learning references by obtaining a few books.......Happy to PM you a few titles if you wish.

Assuming the forum rules don't pose a problem for posting, I for one would welcome your advice on Lathe reference material.

I am willing to travel if it's a nice enough lathe. I think I will stick with a single phase for now.

To be honest I don't think I will wanting to lathe any major big at the moment, no longer than sort of 18" I shouldn't think, for now anyway! I am tempted by a mysore but I am just playing the patient game and waiting for the right one as I am in no rush.

I am interested in the books you recommend, as Iain said, could you post them up here? I think it would be handy not only for myself but others too.

Tom

As the books can be considered educational, here are the 4 that I use and value. These are still available and can be searched by title. 2 are specific to Make of machine, but principles are universal-

post-94-0-77660500-1416340329_thumb.jpg

Other 2 are my 'go to' references and cover all forms of Metalwork and processes etc.

post-94-0-00802100-1416340320_thumb.jpg

I'm sure others have recommendations as well.

Hi Tom

Books available from many sources, you could try `Chronos' at Dunstable, they have many reprints of older engineering books in stock as well as any materials and tooling you could wish for.All laid out on benches for you perusal. You can find them on a certain auction site or thier website. They are a mile or so just off the M1 junction 11 Luton-Dunstable road, towards Dunstable.

They have an industrial unit which is a veritable `Alladins cave' I can spend hours wandering around inside if I'm in the area.

regards Doug.

Hi tom the only thing I would say on this is if you are a beginner like me try to find a lathe that has got auto feed it really dose give a pro finish using cheep eBay tools I bought myself Cole Chester triumph and boy she is a tool cost me £1250 delivered which I thought was fair only prob I had with it when I got it installed was it was only in thou / inches so the dials really meant nothing to me as I'm in metric but I watched on you tube and I see some lads on there was using vernier calipers bolted on to make there own dro so I've ordered 3 different size verniers to put on mine I'm not saying that its going to be 100% accurate but if you do your working out to leave 1mm final cut and then check your mesurment you can't really go wrong hope you get on OK regards tom

I like the vernier idea. I may try it. I have a digital vernier. My lathe is imperial, as are my micrometers etc, which I was brought upon being of mature years. The problem I have is the divisions on the cross slide handle are hard to see, due to the lathes age. Also I have to wear glasses now.

As you will prob no the verniers today have a fare sized LDC display so its so much Easter to read I bought mine off eBay I think the 3 different sizes only cost about 60 quid which is still not cheap but when you think dro system would prob set you back about 1000 it ain't bad its a little different for me as I'm an engineer for my job and I've all ready saved the company enough Money to pay for the lathe and tooling and I don't really no what I'm doing.I'm turning scrap metal odds and sods into machine parts something free into a shaft or bearing housing that would prob cost 100/200 its only my time so gaffers happy and I'm getting experience in something new I think anyone that wants to do or try something in today's world should be you tubes best friend its like getting 20 years experience in 20 min then its just practice

All very interesting and helpful posts, thanks ever so much guys. I will definitely look at investing in some of these books. A lot for me to think about and consider before buying a lathe, there is definitely a lot to know and learn about them and I'm looking forward to learning all about them and hopefully learning how to use them, it is something that has always interested me

Thanks all for your help.

Tom