HeadExam

New to me Wheel Horse D-160

One of the Red Square Wheel Horse members Bowtieguy (Frank Rufenacht) hooked me up with a very nice Wheel Horse D series. I bought his D-160 with the kohler single cyinder. The old girl was well cared for and not abused in any fashion and seems to have a lot of life in her. The best part about the tractor is that it seems to be 100 percent unmolested and in a unrestored state, and other than a bad axle bearing (note picture from the rear) and the need for fresh fluids the tractor seems sound. Apparently Frank, his family, and I have a commonality, we hail from Switzerland. Frank's family has been here in the states for quite some time, at least one generation, but I came over on the boat, well it was actually a 1964 Constellation Comet, but I was born not far from the Rufenacht ancestral home of Rufenacht, Switzerland.

post-384-0-00464500-1425786882_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-99924700-1425786886_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-15197400-1425786891_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-92451400-1425786894_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-89380500-1425786898_thumb.jpg

Edited by HeadExam

She's a beauty , I haver never driven a D200 but would love to have a go of one. Maybe one day will get to own one.

Hoping to visit Switzerland one day too

Love the D-160, it is in really good condition. I have a D-160 and a D-200 neither look as good as yours. It is great that you have the 3pt fitted to it and that the steering wheel centre has not gone missing.

I like the way that the rear wheels are made with an additional set of holes so you can either have them tucked in or offset. Looking at your pictures, yours appear to be fitted to give you the wider track.

The concern I always have with my D's is the strength of the rear axle as the axle bearings are a long way from the hub, partially noticeable in your first picture.

Great addition to your collection

Iain

Love the D-160, it is in really good condition. I have a D-160 and a D-200 neither look as good as yours. It is great that you have the 3pt fitted to it and that the steering wheel centre has not gone missing.

I like the way that the rear wheels are made with an additional set of holes so you can either have them tucked in or offset. Looking at your pictures, yours appear to be fitted to give you the wider track.

The concern I always have with my D's is the strength of the rear axle as the axle bearings are a long way from the hub, partially noticeable in your first picture.

Great addition to your collection

Iain

Thanks lain, the left axle bearing is bad and the wheel is not completely on the axle, the right axle is indicative of the space between the hub and housing. I will have to split the transaxle case and drive the bearing out from the inside, making sure the axle itself is not damaged and will not suffer the same fate in a short time. I'm not sure about the Wheel Horse but I have twelve holes on the hub of my Bolens 1476 large frame. Once set of six holes is larger than the other set of holes, the lug bolts for the 12 inch wheel and the the holes in the 12 inch rim are larger than that of the 15 inch lug bolts and wheel holes.

A while back I had a picture on a rear wheel of my Bolens HT23 and I needed to use it, so I put the wheels from my D-160 on. They were the same PCD, but the Bolens did look funny with those skinny wheels.