HeadExam

What did you do with your Bolens today?

In preparation for the 1556 restoration I took the AG tires and tr-ribs off the Bolens H16 and mounted them on the 1556 rims. I then mounted my new 24x9.50-12  and 16x6.50-8 Carlisle Multi-Trac C/S turf tires all the way around the H16 and installed the deck, not sure I did it right, but it is on. Here is were it got interesting. Most Bolens owners know there is an adjustment (slotted holes) on the PTO, and that you can loosen or tighten it up or down depending on worn or new belts, etc. Well I had installed the PTO and with the engagement off and pulled the PTO Down as far as it could go, then tightened the nuts, this made the PTO/mower deck constantly run, even when starting. Not knowing what was going on (PTO and deck was quite) I climbed aboard and proceeded to drive out the shop. All was well until I hit the piece of carpet I was using to lay on, that's when things got dicey, luckily the engine stalled and I got off for a look. I don't see very well at all up close, in fact I just noticed in one of the pictures that a nail is been used on the hydraulic lift instead of a hairpin. That comes to my final question. I'm not sure I have the lift bracket on correctly (or any brackets for that matter) I have the small curved piece and the straight piece and I think I'm just supposed to have the straight piece from the deck to the lift. The deck is black and that makes seeing things even worse. I am now ready to start painting the 1556. Thanks to all.

post-384-0-88593800-1433986539_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-00826900-1433986553_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-88235800-1433986572_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-33726300-1433986589_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-96692900-1433986606_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-79558000-1433986626_thumb.jpg

Chris, at least we know where we can get them........

Plenty of H14s in the states, I don't see many H16s. They made the H16 in 1973 as the model 1656-01, but not in 1974 or 1975, they resumed production again in 1976 and made the 1656-02 and 1656-03 models, and in 1977 made the H16 model 1656-04. mine is a 1976 1656-03 or a late 1976

Alain,

I think you may have one of the brackets fitted the wrong way, I have a couple of PTO suggestions and I will pick up the comments from my UK colleagues at the end...

I had to have a bit of a move around in the workshop last night so space was a little tight, however I did manage to get a picture of a deck. In addition to showing my size 9's, hopefully it highlights what I believe to be the correct way the curved bracket fits

post-276-0-40808700-1434095934_thumb.jpg

Apologies if you are already aware of this but the it is really important to have the top and bottom PTO belt guards fitted. In addition to the safety factor, when you switch the PTO off the belt guard keeps the belt in the same shape and stop the PTO turning. Without the guard (especially the bottom one) the belt tries to become round and still turns the PTO. Poorly explained but I know what I mean :)

If you have the guards in place it is worth checking to see if they are bent as many owners think it is a good idea to bend the guards to change the belts rather than use the bolts provided. The only other thing I can think of is incorrect size belt or the belt is damaged on the inner face. As I am sure you know, the PTO belts are 42-1/2" long and I have found that they often get replaced with 42" ones. Also as the H16 has two PTO belts so it is possible only one is wrong or damaged.

It is fair to say that a few H16's are now in Norfolk B) . I have four H16's in my collection and I love them. None of them look as good as Alain's. A while back the boss asked me just how many H16's do I need, and the response was at least four. Assuming any reasonable price ones still exist in the UK ,Chris and Andrew will need to move fast as five sounds better than four :D

The price of H16's appear to be going through the roof which is probability due to it's capabilities. In my opinion the H16 is the best and most usable tubeframe tractor and the combination of hydro, diff lock and a 16hp motor is incredible. It would be interesting to hook a H16 up to Mark's bendy. Bendy should have the mechanical advantage but I am sure a H16 would give it a run for it's money. In the past I have hooked a H16 up to my Wheelhorse D200 and it made the D200 look very silly.

Iain

Iain, My brackets look different, the ones that attach the mower to the tractor, I will get pictures. I see your curved bracket, but I thought the hydros do not use the curved bracket? Thanks, I understand about the size of belts and PTO guards and all is well there.

Alain, I will try to flag the problem when you post the pictures. If not, rather than try to describe what curved bracket you need and which one you don't I will fit a deck on one of my H16's and take some pictures.

It is interesting that Alain mention that H14's are popular in the states as I think it may be the opposite in this country. I have only see a very small number of H14's and the majority of the hydros are H16's

Iain

Thanks lain, here are some closeups, hopefully not too close. I have the pictures listed as left front, left rear, right front, and right rearC, That is how and where I have pinned the deck, however my lift does not go up and down. Thanks for any help

post-384-0-81590500-1434149204_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-04201000-1434149210_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-10437100-1434149214_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-16348500-1434149221_thumb.jpg

Alain,

From the pictures I think you have a bar missing and the curved bracket the wrong way around.

I have marked up this picture. The circle shows where the bar should go with the other end fixing into the the similar bracket at the other end of the deck. I notice from the pictures you have the bar on the other side of the deck. The curved bracket is upside down and I have tried to draw freehand the way it should go.

The picture I posted last week shows the missing bar and the correct way for the curved bracket.

post-276-0-60278400-1434386710_thumb.jpg

I was hoping to drop a deck on a H16 over the weekend so I could verify my thinking and send you some pictures, but the trip on Saturday took up all my weekend free time. I will have a look tonight to see if I can find something to take some better pictures of.

Iain

I got sidetracked last night and did not get the chance to take any further pictures. I did have a quick looks at my decks and it would appear that not all of them have a bar going between the two brackets on the lift side.