WeaPea

bolenses briggs spratton heating too much

I wondered, when i lawn my mover bolens husky, that it heated like oven. then i looked, there were a bit short of oil, but not under minimum.

Now i wonder if it is broken in somehow, because it was so lazy when i lawn with it. Always when the blades took some grass more (it was only about 10-15 cm grown) the engine almost stand still ! Not happend when i lawn with my push behind lawn mover(with that the lawn can be grown like over 1 meter and it still moves well), only with the bolens ride on! is the motor too tiny for that kind of job? i ride with 2gear, bce the 1 gear were 2slow to lawn with ride on!

I guess the blades could roll a bit faster than now, so they would lawn better ? (must place some bigger pulley where from the blades get their moving...and also got to install some 12V blowers to suck the hot air away..)

can i look somehow the motor, if it is broken or not? (without tearing it apart)(must have new to me, bigger motor to my husky..)

Hi Weapea, have you checked under the engine shroud for any grass clippings that may of found their way under the shroud?   If the engine cooling fins get clogged up it would make the engine run very hot..

It's worth a look. :thumbs:

:-) no, there are no grass "in" the motor... I heard that it is common for old engines, they are a bit worn out.. and it is 8 hp motor...  

pics in my gallery, same machine that in the pics, if that helps.

Also are you using the proper oil for air cooled engines? You should be using SAE30 oil otherwise know a s lawn mower oil as the oil is formulated specially for air cooled engines.

Well, the oil is not "right" but heard that should work.. or not.. its something 30 W40 or similar. . ."motox" brand. so should be able to work at winter too.. ?

I will blown my movers motor, and then i pray new one from the net.. or then i replace it with some old tiny toyotas motor ... ^_^  Thanks, thats it. i guess..(still working...)

I do not know the age of your Bolens, but the Carburetor should have adjustable Needles for High speed and Idle.

If your fuel mixture is lean (low fuel, high Air mixture) your engine will run hot. It will also use more Oil.

In some cases it can make your Exhaust pipe glow red with heat.

Maybe worth checking the Manual for your engine for the correct adjustment.

If it is adjusted correctly, then another cause is a blockage. You will need to clean the Carb. 

Thanks, will do that ! then i give you more info. (the carb is lookin weird, someone has been shut off the other "straight" airhole, now it must take all air trough the airfilter that looks just like normal brigsstratton-push behind-lawn mover. but it is just a part of an old mattress stuff.. not seems like bought from the shop.

Yes, its working again, my Belts were too loose/seized up, and i put metalwire to the carburetors more gas-part to give more gas. now its working "fine". 

also i welded the pulley to a better place so the belt wont hit the support plate of it anymore .