HeadExam

Painting Today

Thanks to all. I have the engine decals, now I have to order the tractor decals, I'm really hoping to find a complete kit, also need both sets of belts and rebuilt kit for the PTO, everything that needs fixed, repaired or replaced is going to be attended too.

Thanks to all. I have the engine decals, now I have to order the tractor decals, I'm really hoping to find a complete kit, also need both sets of belts and rebuilt kit for the PTO, everything that needs fixed, repaired or replaced is going to be attended too.

I hear that Sam's Bolens can supply authentic decals for you guys in the States.

Look great Alain, you are doing a fantastic job. I am jealous of your workshop space, looks like you have plenty of space to work on your machines.

Iain

Yes Sam's does have the decal kit, and I understand it is very complete and of good quality, however it is almost 200.00 US with shipping

Blimey! You could pick up a GT for that price. Having said that the quality is very authentic.

Blimey! You could pick up a GT for that price. Having said that the quality is very authentic.

Well the price seems high, BUT it depends on what it includes, many 85-100 dollar kits don't include the red strip, or the decal for starting on the dash tower, or the lift gauge decal. I'm not sure if Sam makes his decals or gets them from Click it-and-Stick it. I got my last set from Maple Hunter and was very pleased, but they do not have the small FMC logo on the bottom left side of the dash decal like the original decal and I think and Sams and Click it do. The logo is less than 2 centimeters across, so not a real big deal. If you buy a 85 dollar kit from another outfit then add the decals they don't include or you have to buy elsewhere, you go past 200 pretty quick.

post-384-0-02998000-1435682191_thumb.jpg

The color in my last picture is a true representation, but the other pictures in the late afternoon light made the color very beige, almost ivory. That is why you cannot use pictures for color samples as there are to many variances in the camera, light, and age of the picture. I'm happy with the picture with the wheels on as that really looks like the Bolens off white of the day, more than that I know its the right color because I had it matched from inside the frame rail cover.

Alain, it does make me think I should get the 1254 painted up at some point in the future. Looking forward to seeing it put back together.

These Bolens tube frames are a fairly easy restoration. The simplicity of design lends well to the novice or the experienced Bolens owner. Before restoration pictures of every angle and conceivable part must be taken and more as dis-assembly progresses. By numbering the pictures in sequence you can reassemble by going backwards. If you strip and sand the paint off, great care will be required to remove sanding scratches. Lots of fine paper or extra coats of sanding primer will do this, but realize that when the paint is applied you attention to detail will show. I don't go real crazy about it, because my tractors are intended for use, and I will not spend 90 percent of the restoration on 10 percent of the work. The hood and fender pan is about the only critical area, frame and other parts are usually made of a material that is not nearly as smooth anyway.