Ian

Yanmar 1300d

It's been a busy but very enjoyable few days helping Nigel out with a Yanmar 1300d.

It came into Nigel's workshop to have a roll bar fitted and a harrow made to fit..

We soon found out during harrow testing just how rubbish the Yanmar was, it felt like a cheap Tonka toy with no weight behind it!  Even though the Yanmar is 4 wheel drive as soon as the harrow was dropped into the ground the problems started with the front right and rear left wheels just spinning!  With the diff lock on all 4 wheels span but it couldn't pull the harrow which at best was only a couple of inches underground!!!

The said harrow..

20150918_135055_zpsrvqjvy0r.jpg

The solution.. Add some weight :D

Brackets were made to bolt on Gutbrod wheel weights and a Gutbrod front weight..

20150918_134947_zps4n2mwwgy.jpg

20150918_135018_zpsnlawaluc.jpg

The price of buying a Yanmar roll bar was stupidly high, so we made one out of nice thick box section..

20150918_134938_zpsp9fqcafb.jpg

20150918_135035_zpsgjlshx1m.jpg

Making the mounting plate that bolts to the back of the gearbox was interesting!

20150918_134957_zpspumobd1x.jpg

So a busy but enjoyable few days, it was good to get away from WN and do something different :)

Oh.. The extra weight we added made it a different machine.. It now harrows happily :thumbs:

Thanks ian I really enjoyed the week, there was plenty off head scratching on this one what started out as what we thought was a strait forward job,it threw up problem after problem which led to more problems but we solved them between us and ime very pleased with the outcome. That turned a totally useless machine into a good working tractor

Good work, guys. You solved a problem that plagues many small tractor owners;weight. Sorry to say, but most of these small tractors are not very useful, even with weights, A gas powered large garden tractor will out preform many of them. I know my 14hp Bolens 1476 Large frame is heads and tails above the 15hp Bolens Iseki  4x4 diesel I used to own. It was a complete joke. My friend has a new John Deere sub-compact and a older Kubota sub-compact and I don't think much of them either. They have to be light enough with the hp offered, and the hp offered wasn't enough for the weight of the tractor alone, that kills its usefulness.