HeadExam

Repairs done to fix previous owners repairs

The Wheel Horse D160 had a few issues, most due to outstanding mechanic work by the previous owner. The oil was over full and the oil had just been changed, a whiff of the dipstick confirmed my suspicion, gas in the oil. The first thing to do was to strip the undersized fuel line and replace it with a standard size, along with new filter and shutoff valve. I noticed what I thought was gas coming from the fuel pump, I installed a new pump and gasket, still leaked, but not gas, this time oil. I removed the pump and using the gasket as a pattern made a new gasket from cork, sealed up nicely now. The carb had some play in the throttle shaft and was leaking fuel into the cylinder, stuck float needle probably the culprit. I replaced the carb with a new one I had in reserve and placed both the carb and fuel pump in the rebuild bin. I need to address an issue on the blade attachment bracket. the early models like mine did not have a locking pin, so if you get into a thicket it is possible (it will happen) that the brush will raise the locking levers and the blade will detach from the tractor frame. I can buy the updated pins for 25.00, but I don't see any reason to so so when my pins can be modified, I just have to decide on how to do it. Right now I'm hooking a old box spring from a mattress with a large tractor tire on it to the back of the D160 and will be scuffing up the interior fence line to prepare for being groomed like the yard. I hope this will make the property look better and keep the cows from reaching over the fence. I've already cleared an area under the big oak tree and burnt the brush, that was a tough spot. Pictures and video to follow.

This is a LARGE machine, I'm out of proportion on many smaller machines, my legs are so long I look like a clown riding a tricycle at the circus

Thanks for fixing the link. I had a D180 years ago that didn't run due to bad carb, so I never got to really appreciate it. The Kohler k341 single cylinder D160 was only made in 1974 and some of 1975, so they not only fit into my collection, they are also two of the most versatile tractors I own. The 15 inch rear tires and 10 inch fronts really raise the tractor up for AG work