HeadExam

Found Two Old Bolens Plows

Alain, are these ploughs for Bolens pedestrian tractors or for actual garden tractors? I had the impression that Bolens did not make them for GTs? Anyway, whatever, you got them for a good price.

The hitch was totally different on the pedestrian tractors, this was from an ride-a-matic, circa 1956-1962

EDIT: It looks like more research is necessary, not sure these are ride-a-matic plows, they also look like early Simplicity/Allis/Wards plows as well. It looks like they may have been altered as the one in back, and maybe the one in front, might have originally used a turnbuckle connected to two clevises, but I not sure what these came from now. They are from a riding garden tractor and not a pedestrian tractor though, I can tell that by the front hitch.

Alain, I can see that the hitch been 'adapted to fit a garden tractor. To my knowledge, Bolens did not produce any ploughs for the tube frames and large frames tractors as Brinly manufactured them. As for the RAMs and Ride Masters I think there may be a few manufactured. I will be interested to know what your research brings up.

Again, a great find and a cracking price too.

Cheers

Alain, I can see that the hitch been 'adapted to fit a garden tractor. To my knowledge, Bolens did not produce any ploughs for the tube frames and large frames tractors as Brinly manufactured them. As for the RAMs and Ride Masters I think there may be a few manufactured. I will be interested to know what your research brings up.

Again, a great find and a cracking price too.

Cheers

That's right Brinly or Ohio Steel produce these plows, I say Ohio Steel. They were a supplier of many of the older garden tractors , but Brinly beat them out in the mid 1960's. The added strength bar under the double beam points at Ohio Steel, Brinly used a different design. if you look at the old Simplicity plows, pre 1965, these are almost an exact mach except the adjustment rod; which is the only part that looks altered to me 

Apparently the early Simplicity 10" moldboard ploughs were used on both 4 and two wheel garden tractors as this manual points out

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8aqO3rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdf

This model the 990464 plough was for latter 1960's pedestrian and riding tractors, another model the 990204 was for the early Simplicity 700, 725, and the Allis B1

My coulter wheel attachment is different and may be from a Wards, but the early Bolens plough beams were straight, not curved.

Definitely an Ohio Steel Plow, I think, lol.