diggerjames

Wheelhorse Suburban 551

1961 electric start , what a great find , extremely rare here in UK , well worth buying if you can get it .

I would say it's worth over a grand with implements . 

The steering wheel needs replacing  looks to still have the original exhaust cover , these always get removed & then lost .

front tyres could do with replacing .

very desirable

That's not a 551 but looks more like a 1960 550. The 551 used a 2pc trans case and the hood was different among other things.

Lots of things point towards a 1960, the hood, trans and foot rests. Another confirmation would be the clutch/brake pedal. A 551 should have a cast pedal and the 1960 would have a bent steel pedal.

The two 1960 tractors (400 & 550) were identical except for the engine and the electric start components. The 550 had an electric start Lauson/Tecumseh and the 400 used a pull start Kohler K91.

The export tractors could be a little different configuration but I believe these early models were all the same.

7 hours ago, Wallfish said:

That's not a 551 but looks more like a 1960 550. The 551 used a 2pc trans case and the hood was different among other things.

Lots of things point towards a 1960, the hood, trans and foot rests. Another confirmation would be the clutch/brake pedal. A 551 should have a cast pedal and the 1960 would have a bent steel pedal.

The two 1960 tractors (400 & 550) were identical except for the engine and the electric start components. The 550 had an electric start Lauson/Tecumseh and the 400 used a pull start Kohler K91.

The export tractors could be a little different configuration but I believe these early models were all the same.

that was what i thougt on the transmission side of things, but i wasn't sure