Wallfish

Having new gaskets made

The guy that laser cuts the diaphragms is going to get another sheet of diaphragm material from me to cut more. (even though I have plenty now but the material isn't doing anything folded up in a box on the shelf either so...)

He'll cut and make just about any type of gasket so if anyone has any requests for other gaskets, please let me know and we can include it all in the same order. It's always best to send him a NOS gasket to copy but exact measurements or even the actual part will do.

Was thinking about pulling apart the O&R engine I did in the rebuild thread to get that full set but I certainly won't need 100 gasket sets for 10 lifetimes and certain gaskets aren't needed regularly. BUT, I was thinking the most common stuff would be the exhaust gaskets and the very thin induction gasket. Let me know what you guys think would be the most helpful and useful to have.

He posted his info here on MoM a while back so it's not limited to just O&R gaskets. If you ever need any new gaskets cut for ANYTHING he is your guy. Very easy to work with, very fair pricing, very accurate gaskets, highly recommended!

The Gasket man

Eric Adams

carplaylb@yahoo.com

John,

Funny timing. I reached out to Eric a week or so ago to line up some cutting as well.  I just placed an ordered for a large sheet of the rubber diaphragm material on Thursday of this week. As soon as it comes in I am also going to send it to Eric to have some diaphragms cut. He’s awesome and is also going to cut some more of the paper carberator gaskets.  If we can source the other exhaust gasket and other gasket materials and stuff I’d certainly be interested in considering being part of a larger group order if there is interest.

Clint

1 hour ago, CNew said:

Funny timing. I reached out to Eric a week or so ago to line up some cutting as well.

I guess we never mentioned Wallfish & Webhead have a supply of the carb diaphragms (Webhead used to sell them on eBay), hopefully you sourced a suitable material.

I will edit the first post of carb rebuild thread so the information can be found easily.

2 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Was thinking about pulling apart the O&R engine I did in the rebuild thread to get that full set but I certainly won't need 100 gasket sets for 10 lifetimes and certain gaskets aren't needed regularly. BUT, I was thinking the most common stuff would be the exhaust gaskets and the very thin induction gasket.

It's probably best to use NOS gaskets rather than ones that have been used, as they tend to get crushed or they fall apart on removal.

John, do you need some NOS ones to get them copied, PM me if needed. I need to have a think about what I would use too, probably would still use my punch & cutter kit to make the less commonly needed gaskets.

If it helps I have edited the scanned parts list index to show the majority of gaskets types used on these engines (later six digit codes not shown, need to add them later). The higher the number in the code column indicates parts that are rarely used, although some #2's are shown against parts that were in the original kits/sets. The last four are for the chainsaws only.

1949331374_OhlssonRicePartialListofGasketsJan71.jpg.9dbce83e232e1d5b519bc21bd25fda2b.jpg

Not shown above or NLA;

5-3 Crankcase flange gasket (shown as NLA)

5-16 Muffler gasket (shown as NLA)

18-10 Primer diaphragm valve

95-2 Diaphragm membrane

A-18-10 Primer diaphragm valve assembly (two parts; 5-4 & 18-10)

From all that we have already had these parts reproduced so far;

5-36 (diaphragm cover gasket), 18-10 (primer/check valve) & 95-2 (diaphragm membrane).

David

20 minutes ago, Webhead said:

chainsaw fuel tank gaskets were popular, back when I had 'em.

Not surprised as the manual says they shrink when removed, but I've seen them disintegrate too. Has anyone still got some originals of each type to copy? (there are several types as they changed the tank a couple of times).

David

Think I have some but will have to check.

I know a mouse found my box of parts and made a house in the cigar box inside which is where all the gaskets are. Some are destroyed.

Or use Yamabond #4 gasket sealer. Holds up to gasoline

I just bought some Hondabond gasket sealer for this same purpose. I haven’t opened up the tank yet to try it out but I think the Yamabond and Hondabond are equivalent.

On 3/10/2019 at 10:11 PM, Wallfish said:

I know a mouse found my box of parts and made a house in the cigar box inside which is where all the gaskets are. Some are destroyed.

:( Sorry to hear that.

Will look for my gaskets at the weekend & take some better pictures (or scan them), maybe label up the various types as well. They were bought to use as templates for making replacements myself.

I definitely haven't got any of the chainsaw tank ones though and only have one of the gearbox gaskets.

David

I've scanned the gaskets I could find for the Compact engines (3/4HP , 0.85HP, 1HP), everything apart for the primer diaphragm ones & the gear-case gasket, will add that one later if needed.

1584073192_A-5-33-2A-5-33-4Gasketslowres.jpg.dbd2844a93a3db155fb63b1db7844f4d.jpg

Here is a pdf (letter size page 8.5" x 11", not A4) of the scanned gaskets;

A-5-33-2 A-5-33-4 Gaskets.pdf

It would be good if everyone indicated which ones they would be interested in having replicas made of (maybe copy & paste, then highlight them in a different color).

Earlier engine kit;

5-3 Crankcase flange gasket

5-4 Diaphragm valve gasket

5-5 Induction case gasket

5-6 Reed (feather) valve gasket

5-8 Carburetor gasket (Qty 2)

5-14 Exhaust collector gasket (lower)

5-15 Exhaust collector gasket (upper)

5-16 Muffler gasket

Later engines may use these instead, which are thicker than the paper gaskets;

200469 Induction case gasket

200470 Reed (feather) valve gasket

Later cylinder gaskets;

200600 Exhaust collector gasket (upper)

David

P.S. I found another exhaust collector gasket type listed in the manual for later engines, 200600A (Qty 2, no idea, haven't got any)

Extra information for the chainsaws (as Joe said they were popular).

Tank seals & gaskets for Chainsaws with the Compact engine, apart from 5-18 (Gear case gasket) I haven't got any originals of these to scan;

Mustang Chainsaws Models 129, 148 (Type 185 Engine) &  Model 149 (Type 236 Engine)

5-18 Gear case gasket

5-37 Oil pump gasket (use 33-33 ??)

5-38 Oil passage gasket

5-39 Fuel filler cap gasket

5-40 Oil filler cap gasket

158-5 Fuel tank seal (used up to SN #812260)

158-6 Fuel tank seal (used after SN #812259)

158-7 Fuel tank seal (used from SN #721404 to SN #810335, with 158-5)

Note 158-6 can replace 158-5, a small section may need to be removed to allow it to fit (Service Bulletin S-E081)

Mustang Chainsaw Model 13 (13B249 Engine)

5-18 Gear case gasket

200137 Fuel tank gasket

Sears Lightweight Utility Chainsaw (Type 213 Engine)

5-18 Gear case gasket

5-38 Oil passage gasket

158-6 Fuel tank seal

Sears Mighty Light Chainsaw (13A249 Engine)

5-18 Gear case gasket

5-38 Oil passage gasket

200137 Fuel tank gasket

Chainsaw Model 148 (13A185 Engine, SN's 1122263 to 1122462 & 1126663 to 1122862)

Ranger 279-280 Chainsaw (13A279 13A280 Engine)

Jim Savage Super 100 Chainsaw (13B413 Engine)

Jim Savage Maxi 350 Chainsaw (13B414 Engine)

Forester CS 100 Chainsaw (13B415 Engine)

Forester CS 350 Chainsaw (13B416 Engine)

5-18 Gear case gasket

200137 Fuel tank gasket

200226 Oil filler cap O-ring

200227 Fuel filler cap O-ring

Ford Hawk Chainsaw (13B276 Engine)

5-18 Gear case gasket

Use Mustang 129 Parts List (Service Bulletin S-E083)

David

On 3/9/2019 at 1:45 PM, Wallfish said:

Let me know what you guys think would be the most helpful and useful to have.

I've had a think and the most useful gaskets for me will be;

5-5 Induction case gasket

5-6 Reed (feather) valve gasket

5-8 Carburetor gasket (Qty 2)

5-14 Exhaust collector gasket (lower)

5-15 Exhaust collector gasket (upper)

The rarely used ones I can cut myself.

333850924_A-5-33-2A-5-33-4Gasketslowres.jpg.2d79c29587039219d658bac63c7b7d2a.jpg

John do you need any NOS originals sending over to have copied? Let me know & I will send them to you.

David

David,

I recently purchased some gaskets that look to have come from a similar kit that you have pictured here and I’m curious what the two rectangular gaskets are for?

Clint

By the way I think Eric already has the file for cutting the exhaust collector gaskets. We just need to figure out what material to use and source some. I haven’t done any research on this gasket material yet but it appears to be some sort of dense rubber with fiber reinforcement and it needs to withstand some hot temperatures.

59 minutes ago, CNew said:

David,

I recently purchased some gaskets that look to have come from a similar kit that you have pictured here and I’m curious what the two rectangular gaskets are for? 

Those are part no. 5-3 (Crankcase flange gasket), which they stopped using sometime between 1966 & 1969 (presumably to save 2 cents off the cost), the 1971 list says they were no longer available.

They go between the crankcase flanges & the base mount gas tank as shown by the arrow in the picture.

SAM_10716b.jpg.7a97e0a24edd54184db2eecd299f181b.jpg

David

Thanks David - that was going to be my guess but it seemed like a little bit of an unusual place for a gasket.  I guess it would help dampen the vibration.

I’m about to cut two new gaskets for the gearbox on the Drillgine so we will see how that goes. I’ve got a new punch set to try out.

No need to guess, it was in the list from post #9

1 hour ago, CNew said:

I haven’t done any research on this gasket material yet but it appears to be some sort of dense rubber with fiber reinforcement and it needs to withstand some hot temperatures.

If you look at the gaskets I scanned for the PDF from post #9 you may notice at least three types of material have been used for just the exhaust collector gaskets (5-14 & 5-15), I suspect the older ones may contain asbestos fibres as it was the best heat resistant material available at the time.

The earlier induction & reed gaskets (5-5 & 5-6) are made from gasket paper.

The later gaskets (5-14, 200600, 200469 & 200470, in black) seem to be more rubber like.

1 hour ago, CNew said:

Based on some quick searching it appears the exhaust gaskets might be a flexible graphite type gasket material.

The material needs to be selected very carefully, galvanic corrosion can occur with graphite & aluminium.

I have previously used Klingersil C-4324 for making these, but haven't extensively tested them.

David

Very true, good catch David - graphite and aluminum probably wouldn’t get along all that well.  I have seen the Klinersil material before, that might be a great option.