CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: 20A Outboard (Clinton Model K-150)

Clint It looks like you need to cut the shroud to change the cylinder head I think I would strip it down and go threw it

you have a gasket set for the hole engine just time and a little cleaning .( I wondered if you ever got that done )

Its like my projects still on the bench or just on the shelf no running .

2 hours ago, CNew said:

I now have the engine partly taken apart and wanted to get some opinions. I have an old parts chainsaw that has the compression release valve in the cylinder head. Wondering if I should switch this head over to the outboard while I’ve got everything torn down.

Depends if you prefer originality or not, if it was mine I would leave it as it is, not all applications used the compression release.

Also remember that some of the 20A engines will have a crankshaft & parts for reversed rotation (important to know if you ever need to swap a knackered engine to restore a hard to find tool).

If you find any errors in the 20A service manual please let us know (other than the ones I already listed).

David

Thank you both for the feedback. I think I’ll plan to use the original head and save the chainsaw engine for a future project. There are so many nooks and crannies - makes chipping the paint off slow and tedious. I’ve tried some paint remover on some of the parts but even that doesn’t work very well and you still have to get deep down with dental tools and stuff to get it nice. I’ll get there, just a bit slower of a project than I thought it would be. I am anxious to get some paint on it!

The only paint stripper that seems to work these days is the industrial variety, at least in the UK all the consumer grade stuff has had anything even slightly harmful removed, rendering it useless.

David

You can soak that head in a can of carb cleaner to remove the paint. Just let it soak for a while, use a stiff bristle brush and re-soak if it still needs it.

th.jpg.b088f68f9e0bcecf86e75919bd223f2f.jpg

Learned today that Montgomery Wards also made a 1.5 hp version of their Sea King outboard that used the O&R 20A engine. I forgot about an eBay listing for a parts list from Wards and ended up missing out on getting it…

Found another photo of the 20A outboard. This one is a Montgomery Ward Sea King 1.5. Interesting thing is the one I have has references to both the Ward Sea King and the Clinton K150. 
https://johnpeckauctions.hibid.com/lot/100898669/montgomery-ward-1-5-hp-sea-king-outboard-boat/

https://www.gotoauction.com/sales/gallery/1332025