CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: 20A Outboard (Clinton Model K-150)

6 hours ago, CNew said:

I was able to scrape the paint off the engine tag. Looks like:  20A1003; 5110572

OK, I have the AEP parts list for engines 20A1000 to 1009 (but the columns for 1003 & 1004 are blank).

Types 1001 & 1005 also have the carb supplied by the product manufacturer and types 1000, 1005 & 1006 do not have the compression release valve either.

SN #511xxxx will date to November 1975, so definitely an AEP engine.

David

Finally starting to ease into this project. Still collecting a few parts for how I want to set it up. This tan camo paint is a real pain. I spent quite a bit of time painstakingly scraping the paint off the rubber tiller handle. I think it turned out better than I expected. Once I got most of the paint scraped I hit it with some Maguire micro ultra cut polish (I know it’s not intended for rubber but it helped) then I washed it and put a couple drops of mineral oil on it and then buffed it with a rag. Not perfect but much improved.

BAE39F57-F3C1-4F99-BDBE-D331A15C7176.jpeg

C338BEE0-B883-4B52-878C-09AA7F32ACCB.jpeg

Wow, a whole gasket kit. It would certainly work but you’ll need that kit when you dig into your 20A. I thought maybe some of the seals might be floating around out there in separate packages or maybe even some good condition used ones. 

I really appreciate the offer but you should probably keep that for your own project, unless you have multiples of these kits.

Thanks!

Ha ha, that’s a familiar looking sight - looks a lot like my parts mess.  I desperately need to inventory some day. I don’t have that much stuff so there’s really no excuse other than when I have time to work on these projects I prefer to actually work on an engine and not spare time to sort through parts.  One of these days...

I know what you mean we just need about 30 hour in a day. But then we would  want 36 and so on.

I will send it out on Monday. ( Just need to work with the time we have)

Ha, that's about how my parts stash looks too. I can peek for some of those seals too

I didn't know Terry had such a big stash !  Maybe we should start a parts trade thread as I have multiples of some parts but not any of others. We may have mostly all the same stuff since what they didn't use then, we don't use now but I'm sure there has to be some stuff to trade.

On 1/10/2020 at 8:15 AM, CNew said:

Not mine, but here is a video of what looks to be a nice original K-150.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=29Qyn_N5Wmo

He calls it a Tecumseh engine in the video

On 1/11/2020 at 9:30 PM, Wallfish said:

I didn't know Terry had such a big stash !  Maybe we should start a parts trade thread as I have multiples of some parts but not any of others. We may have mostly all the same stuff since what they didn't use then, we don't use now but I'm sure there has to be some stuff to trade.

If there is something you need just let me know (same thing a lot of and none of others ) wont run out of diaphragms any time soon

thanks to clint!!

Making progress... Still have some more sections of paint to remove before I can start prepping it for paint. I’m also going need to fabricate a bracket for the tank I’m going to use. I’m also going to need to do some repair work on the bracket that mounts the engine to the boat. It was broken in half. Cast aluminum is always fun to try to mend...

5937EE76-EF21-4892-8B1E-1B520DD2B242.jpeg

The tank is integral to the cover shroud kind of like on the Aquabug. It may take some time to find a set of proper decals for the shroud so in the interim I was thinking of mounting a cool round tank.  I’ll have to repaint the original cover shroud white and most likely find someone to replicate the Clinton decals some day. I think it will look cool with the tank I have set aside for it as well. I kind of like the look of an exposed tank on these old outboards anyway. 

Will how ever you do it it will look good (it an o&r ) It would be nice to get someone to make the decals. looking

good keep up the good work.

On 2/8/2020 at 1:34 PM, CNew said:

It may take some time to find a set of proper decals for the shroud so in the interim I was thinking of mounting a cool round tank.  I’ll have to repaint the original cover shroud white and most likely find someone to replicate the Clinton decals some day.

Paul @pmackellow has used Machinery Decal's (Titch) to recreate decals from pictures.

David

Came home this evening to a really nice surprise - this super cool original owners manual and parts list for the Clinton K-150 / O&R outboard, THANK YOU VERY MUCH Terry (Just O&R)!  This is awesome, always fun to have original literature and manuals to these O&Rs! Very much appreciated that Terry!

D3BD3F6D-69A6-4606-B5C7-EE9D3D225F76.jpeg

I thought you had bought a manual some time ago when you first found the Clinton, as there were several available both on ePay & SCamazon at the time I ended up buying one too.

In fact there must be more manuals than surviving outboards. :yankchain:

David

There was 2 on ebay last week I got one for Clint and one for myself. I don't even have one of those outboards but thought

I would be good to have.

Finally taking another step further with this outboard.  Really sucks they did such a horrible spray paint job, it’s making it way more difficult to clean up for repainting.  I now have the engine partly taken apart and wanted to get some opinions. I have an old parts chainsaw that has the compression release valve in the cylinder head. Wondering if I should switch this head over to the outboard while I’ve got everything torn down.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

1ABEE9A0-9528-4B75-A9A1-C4E7983C89FE.jpeg