Wallfish

Speedy Sprayer

29 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

David now that would have been real helpful a few days ago:yankchain:  You must have seen the shaft hole was a little off.

Made the template and them put it on the wrong side of the bracket for the shaft. I made had to make the hole bigger so the shaft fit.

thanks David never looked at the drawings:banghead:

Your not alone, I did the "measure once cut drill & tap twice" with my engine test stand.

Now for a distraction, to see if the address in Detroit that those engine outline drawings were sent to in 1963 still exists.

David

18 hours ago, factory said:

Now for a distraction, to see if the address in Detroit that those engine outline drawings were sent to in 1963 still exists.

David

well does it still exist ???  This sound like an m&m commercial

437393976_OhlssonRiceEnvelopeOct1963a.jpg.a3f9ba2301e77bc4b8b2e2340ba9c673.jpg

If I got it right the zip code converts to 48231, google seems to confirm this, but I'm struggling to find the right building with the lack of street name. Doesn't help now Chrysler became FCA & downsized a lot and many buildings have either been demolished or some renamed in Detroit.

David

I was think'n about a belt guard but cleaning up the pulleys with fresh paint and leaving it open looks more old school and dangerous. Besides I'm not sure Terry's up for making a me more stuff just yet. Wore him out on the engine mount for this one.

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

Wore him out on the engine mount for this one.

I'm not sure That I'm wore out just yet. A may not be as spry as I once was but we can get the job done. ( most of the time )

On 2/16/2020 at 8:01 PM, Wallfish said:

I was think'n about a belt guard but cleaning up the pulleys with fresh paint and leaving it open looks more old school and dangerous.

Exactly as it would have been in the 60's, as shown in this Speedy Sprayer brochure (no O&R's present).

1541802152_SpeedySprayer.jpg.b6732bff0433b82caeb8ff34b1686cbf.jpg

David

Back in the '60's we were supposed to know enough to keep our fingers away from belts and pulleys.

Don't ask me how I know! :o

Edited by Fishnuts2
Punctuation

On 2/16/2020 at 12:04 PM, Wallfish said:

IMG_0551.JPG.ad89224f5f04d9f71b510a6c057b315e.JPG

Found one of these compressors for sale here locally. It has the original electric motor but I’m debating on maybe getting it and doing a similar O&R conversion.

Technically an original O&R piece since these engines were sold for the end user to power something.

There was one like the Orline pump on epay with an electric motor for $40 but the idiot couldn't figure out how to remove one screw on the shaft and the mount bolts to separate the electric motor.

6 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

There was one like the Orline pump on epay with an electric motor for $40 but the idiot couldn't figure out how to remove one screw on the shaft and the mount bolts to separate the electric motor.

I tried reaching out to this seller a few times as well, it’s too bad really - it look so like a decent unit to start from for a conversion to O&R powered.

There is another one on there now but it has the cart and everything. Shipping is crazy...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174286225983?ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11051.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feuid%3D66c1eb155ec340a6871f7abf21156df2%26bu%3D43151388737%26segname%3D11051%26crd%3D20200524073215%26osub%3D-1%7E1%26ch%3Dosgood%26loc%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fulk%252Fitm%252F174286225983%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu%2Cch%3Dch%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Curl%3Dloc%2Cosub%3Dosub%26srcrot%3De11051.m43.l1123%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3D473905761720ad319b2526aafffc5710&ul_noapp=true

23 hours ago, CNew said:

Found one of these compressors for sale here locally. It has the original electric motor but I’m debating on maybe getting it and doing a similar O&R conversion.

22 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Technically an original O&R piece since these engines were sold for the end user to power something.

Just a reminder, the compressors were sold without a power source, so any motor fitted might not be original anyway.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:50 PM, factory said:

That is an earlier speedy sprayer, both this version and the later one (as used with the Orline version) were sold without the electric motor, the mounting holes with adjustment for the compressor, allowed fitting for most 1/4 HP electric motors.

David

David

I'm a new member, hello everyone.

I was looking for info about a Speedy Sprayer I have in a box and it led me here, very nice results with the O&R engine! Unfortunately mine has an electric motor and I now want a gas powered motor to make it truly portable. Hey, it has a handle right?  j/k

I have a few other projects on hand, too many really, such as an old hit and miss engine, several ride-on mowers, an old turf-til and more vintage chainsaws than any person should own(says my wife). Excuse me while I go binge read the forums!

Oh, question.... how rare are these old O&R engines? I didn't find any for sale on ebay or in classifieds. Would I be be better off planning to stick to the electric motor when I start the Speedy Sprayer rebuild?

Edited by Kurgano

10 hours ago, Kurgano said:

Oh, question.... how rare are these old O&R engines? I didn't find any for sale on ebay or in classifieds. Would I be be better off planning to stick to the electric motor when I start the Speedy Sprayer rebuild?

:WMOM:

They typically pop up on ebay all the time so keep an eye out.

As far as being better off, it depends upon your intentions for using it. O&R engines run great when new or rebuilt but they're not the most reliable engine. Although not that difficult to tinker with depending upon your experience. We collect them because of all the cool stuff that was made using them but the majority of collectors don't really use them much. If you're looking for a cool old school compressor then an O&R will fit the bill but if you're looking to use it,  dependability would be important. 

I live remotely and the power is often spotty during storms and so I've grown to like alternates to electricity. Not to mention the electric rates are rediculous now.

I like to tinker. For example in my last little project I restored and then converted some vintage metal kerosene lamps to use LED bulbs. I then made them cordless by going with rechargeable battery packs and I set up a little solar station that recharges them. They run for about a week before needing charge(3-4hrs of dark per day).  Tip: If you try this go with vehicle door panel or tail bulbs. They are available in LED form and use less power than a home 60w equivalent but are brighter(and cheaper too).

As for using the Speedy Sprayer if I find and rebuild an O&R engine for it, I absolutely would use it... gently. There is something very rewarding about restoring old stuff especially when you find a good use for it.

Edited by Kurgano

:WMOM:

Welcome, you just need a little patience to find a suitable O&R engine, one with a reduction gearbox output of 1700RPM or less and a clutch fitted, Model H or Type 195 would be good, but for some unknown reason the 900RPM Model J is far easier to find (maybe lots of never started or completed mini-bike projects :dunno:).

You may also find the Speedy Sprayer compressor needs servicing, they have a rubber diaphragm, I don't know what the filter is made from but it would be a good idea to replace it if it's aged badly & gone crumbly like the O&R air filters do.

Here is an exploded parts drawing of one of the Speedy Sprayers from another forum:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1165031&d=14

David