Wallfish

Chip A Saw (Newer Style) rebuid

I see you have been doing something I thought you were just sitting home this time of year.

looks great color looks great. You seem to paint good when you need to:yankchain:

looks great paint matches very good .

so is that a chip-a-saw or a bunyan or bonyan

YOU do know the chain is on backwards. 

Made you look:D

39 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

so is that a chip-a-saw or a bunyan or bonyan

It has the original Chip A Saw decals on the cover and the bar yet also a painted label on the bar for Bunyan. :dunno:

That's the black label you sent me. Stole it from ya! :D

I hold very much appreciate some high quality photos and dimensions of both the Chip-a-Saw and Paul Bunyan decals. I’d like to try to work with Titch but he needs some good images and dimensions.

Neither of the pair of later style red chainsaws I bought had any surviving decals, as they were both identical I sold one of them to Paul & he had some decals made from the best image I could find at the time.

SAM_18455a.jpg.8edc1145c29c3dce96819dacea3aa38e.jpg

Here are various images of the Chip-A-Saw & Paul Bunyan decals I have saved from either ePay listings or the web;

2115885841_ChipASaw.JPG.e82caaa9367b6a9a47b478876acb78d1.JPG1772574254_Chip-A-Saw4.jpg.815388caf223b7e4c84fcf8c2d94c3ea.jpgt1a.jpg.b4fb88df255b024ab38b3b45286f2f94.jpg117270888_PaulBunyan.jpg.285f9620a07aa7428bdec6e10c4dcaf0.jpg

Wallfish should be able to help with dimensions for the above Chip-A-Saw decal on the red chainsaw (it's from the ePay listing of the one he bought), I forgot to mention that this Paul Bunyan decal image came from another forum, Paul Bunyan chainsaw on forestryforum.

1177668607_PaulBunyanChainSaws.jpg.216ed3c49b30af0cc7c28eb70c9a3f6b.jpg

David

I can email some pics of the chip a saw decal with dimensions later today if that helps. Might have a print of one from usedtoolman which might be better to use for duplication but let me know. Depending on cost, I could use 3 decals for the older saw. It was stripped down but never painted

8 hours ago, CNew said:

What are the dimensions and then I can try to get this info to Titch for evaluation.

I can get you the dimensions for the chip-a-saw if you need them.

Can't help with the bunyan

if your going to order some chip-a-saw decals i would be interested in a couple myself let me know,

I sent Titch some of the photos, just need the dimensions and he can put together an estimate for us.  I personally like the little Chip-a-Saw decal best.

I’ve been searching around and I can’t tell if the decals on the Chip-a-Saw recoil cover should be oriented in the normal vertical direction or tilted like the Orline Mustang saws where they’re turned slightly to compensate for the tilt of the engine when mounted in the saw. Is there a consensus?

IMO the tilted decal looks funny if there's a bird decal because that is always oriented with the recoil.

Without the bird decal, the recoil decal looks better tilted to vertical.

Not 100 % sure if mine was original or not but those recoil covers have a factory hole for the switch so I believe it's original because the hole didn't appear to be just drilled out, the paint was original and the decal was oriented with the bird decal.

Either way is fine so doing it to your preference is the best way to do it. Maybe the un-branded saw above is the Bunyan which tilted the decal and the Chip A Saw had it oriented with the recoil as I see Terry has his the same :dunno:

9 hours ago, CNew said:

I’ve been searching around and I can’t tell if the decals on the Chip-a-Saw recoil cover should be oriented in the normal vertical direction or tilted like the Orline Mustang saws where they’re turned slightly to compensate for the tilt of the engine when mounted in the saw. Is there a consensus?

I think my saw was the original recoil:dunno:

728600006_IMG_34351.JPG.54c2ccc73fbd899464fe583daadb5a26.JPG

1 hour ago, JUST O&R said:

hope this helps . and yes I'm an artist:D

IMG_3746[1].JPG

IMG_3748[1].JPG

Very Nice!  Thank you for drafting up the dimensions - I’ll get these over to Titch. Do you think these same dimensions apply to the red version of this decal? It looks like the red one has a larger red border.  How much interest is there in the Paul Bunyan decal?  I think Titch already did that one before.

image.jpeg.a527b5f72cf8f88d105b5b89ad39fe29.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

IMO the tilted decal looks funny if there's a bird decal because that is always oriented with the recoil.

Not 100 % sure if mine was original or not but those recoil covers have a factory hole for the switch so I believe it's original because the hole didn't appear to be just drilled out, the paint was original and the decal was oriented with the bird decal.

Either way is fine so doing it to your preference is the best way to do it. Maybe the un-branded saw above is the Bunyan which tilted the decal and the Chip A Saw had it oriented with the recoil as I see Terry has his the same :dunno:

I tend to agree, I think I like symmetry when there is a bird decal.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:20 AM, Wallfish said:

IMG_0497.JPG.ceaaaf4d87620faccf80291ce9a77a15.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG.65bb77729c1864769292c6a6de9b851e.JPG

Am I correct to assume this saw uses a typical chainsaw muffler, the one with the little spark arrestor screen inside?

6 hours ago, CNew said:
7 hours ago, Wallfish said:

I tend to agree, I think I like symmetry when there is a bird decal.

See post #32, one of the pair I imported has the vertical decal & the other has it tilted, both have the switch fitted are have engine type 13A253.

I guess it your choice which you prefer if you need a new decal.

David

1 hour ago, CNew said:

Am I correct to assume this saw uses a typical chainsaw muffler, the one with the little spark arrestor screen inside?

A regular muffler is fine too. That's what was on there and it was clean so just reused it. If it was crappy then maybe change it. Don't sweat the little details on a chainsaw. Save that 100% original stuff for the good ones! :hide:

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

A regular muffler is fine too. That's what was on there and it was clean so just reused it. If it was crappy then maybe change it. Don't sweat the little details on a chainsaw. Save that 100% original stuff for the good ones! :hide:

Yep, I was just scrounging through old saws and parts trying to find the cleanest pieces I can since this will be a full restore job. Would like it to all match as much as possible with new paint and decals (hopefully new decals, we will see what Titch comes back with).

Definitely saving the NOS parts for the rarer items.