Wallfish

Chip A Saw (Newer Style) rebuid

Here's the next one. Unfortunately the paint on the tank is all flaked off. Not sure yet if it will get striped off and painted. Too cold to paint anything for a while.

IMG_0480.JPG.5ca5cfcea63eb9552acae1df6d37ca9f.JPG

Seems Gomer had a hard time with the flywheel and recoil on this one. Some kind of "fix" on the flywheel and once off, discovered the broken threads on the crank. Of coarse there was no mention of the hacks by seller. This is exactly how one ends up with a pile of spare used parts.

IMG_0481.JPG.e4a3e0aadbe2488215b581de5749735d.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG.17aa9dacb6028445a4cd8b75f5e29bb3.JPG

But, I have another engine from a past purchase so between the 2 engines it should be OK.

IMG_0484.JPG.75314276a14741ec6dc0fe8b713d2775.JPG

So between the two engines there were some good parts and bad. Had to dismantle both. The original engine sounded like it had sand it the cylinder , then in the crank case so couldn't use any of those internal parts.

IMG_0485.JPG.c0c5f41dda4f3ae72d5589ebdb343f8b.JPG

Then it turned out the crank on the other engine was worn. Had a groove from the points rod all the way around it. Found a good replacement crank and changed the whole thing.

IMG_0487.JPG.91c18268d25a479fad0d9ad7d12fa6c1.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG.40452b4314f2b2ad885455e7f11b576a.JPG

So I was able to get this far. Got a good engine together.

And BTW, I hate those metal cages for the bearings. What a PITA they are to get back in. It's messy with all the grease to hold them too. It's been a long time since doing them but plastic cages would've saved an hour or two.

IMG_0489.JPG.b66b6ad24677d1f4fddaa143faefd8ed.JPG

Sounds like some tools over here, they used them till they were worn out, bodged them & used them again till they were completely trashed.

David

I seem to have saved the ePay pictures of your saw, interesting to see what looks like "Bunyan Saw" on the bar next to the "Chip-A-Saw" logo.

q12a.jpg.f9702f0a350f24cf81e678aaa099efa8.jpg

David

Ha that one looks like it was a little worse then mine. But Ive seen your work it will be just fine in a day or two.

Your side case look to be in better shape the the fuel tank to they must have used cheep paint on them.

Paint on the gearbox cover/handle came out pretty nice but the gas is a complete mess like Terry's was. It will need to be painted but since I hate painting, it will probably stay like that for a while.

That's funny David, that does look the bar.

John, can you tell 100% that it says "Bunyan" instead of "Bunyon"? I could have sworn that mine was spelled wrong and I put it back the way that it was. From what I can recall, there were some pretty good remnants left on mine.

@Webhead Do you have a before picture of the bar from your chainsaw, I'm yet to see a clear enough one to tell if they spelled it incorrectly originally on the bar, certainly the small round logo is spelt Bunyan.

1917514677_PaulBunyanChainSaws.jpg.3f6e223b1c93a13656acadee738e2c09.jpg

David

Yes, I am aware of the decal being correct. Unfortunately I did not take a before photo. If you look at John's closely, it does not look like a "A". I knew that I was spelling with an "O" for a reason at the time.

Compared to the "A" in "SAW", it looks nothing like an "A" and more like an "O". My brain was a little sharper back then and I'm glad I wasn't losing it. I'm pretty sure that I did mine to original specs.

It's all down to the fonts used, at least John's picture confirm what you saw (no pun intended) on yours before restoration.

There is also this smaller decal on the red version of this chainsaw, again not very clear.

1790359046_PaulBunyandecal2.jpg.501ad07c17be2e5e735f7a99008733a8.jpg

I have to say Paul Bunyan/Bunyon chainsaws are a PITA to research information about due to the amount of other things with the same name.

David

So, are you thinking it was the decal vendor that messed up on the spelling, but they used them anyway? Or, was there a copyright thing going on? It’s nice to confirm that I was correct with my restoration, because it has been bothering me ever since! Thanks for the photo John. 

On 2/28/2020 at 7:57 AM, Webhead said:

My brain was a little sharper back then

So you probably don't remember telling me a couple weeks ago about buying your entire collection for $500 huh?

6 hours ago, Wallfish said:

So you probably don't remember telling me a couple weeks ago about buying your entire collection for $500 huh?

But you forgot that I said “times 10”.

10 hours ago, Webhead said:

But you forgot that I said “times 10”.

No I didn't, I offered $50 and you said "times 10".

Man, you're get'n old!

As far as the spelling, could it have read Runyon? Both sides have the bottom the "B" cut off straight in the same exact spot which makes it look like it could be an R.

On 2/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, Webhead said:

So, are you thinking it was the decal vendor that messed up on the spelling, but they used them anyway? Or, was there a copyright thing going on? It’s nice to confirm that I was correct with my restoration, because it has been bothering me ever since! Thanks for the photo John. 

Could be either, maybe original adverts could help or add to the confusion, if any ever turn up.

David

17 hours ago, Webhead said:

Is marijuana legal in your state, yet???

Yes it is, did ya forget? :poke:

You should post some pics of your collection again. Like that Aquabug generator, Orline winch, ect. ect. I couldn't capture everything before they shut down the old forum and missed a bunch of posts.

Yeah, Got'er done. This project gave a reminder of why I don't like to paint. The prep work is tedious and and messy plus after it's done it needs to be handled with care like a new born baby. And the patience needed to wait for it to cure is a problem since I want to always put it back together too quick. The end result is nice to have though.

The first color it was painted was too far off, this color is just a tad lighter than the original paint but a pretty close match. The handle/gearbox cover piece was left original because the decal is complete and in very nice condition. It may get masked off and sprayed but then it'll need bar decals and a nicer bar. I'll find some nicer oil and gas caps for it too.

IMG_0496.JPG.e01bda55291f57f0af0cbc3675d38577.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG.ceaaaf4d87620faccf80291ce9a77a15.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG.65bb77729c1864769292c6a6de9b851e.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG.225154150994f78d6485a0e8a18398e5.JPG