CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: how old is it?

17 hours ago, CNew said:

The only thing that resembled a seal is some thin black coating stuff that looked like a thin layer of gasket maker where the feather vane gasket would normally go

Mine has a rubber sealing ring for the feather valve to the crankcase seal (it is squashed into the what looks like a square section, I didn't take it off to check), no paper gaskets, they don't have them according to the parts list.

The exhaust collector apparently also has a sealing ring, I haven't taken mine apart as I don't want to damage it knowing that no NOS ones exist to copy the sizes from (pre-squashed).

SAM_6704b.jpg.d5e300fc3dfb9780598f7a9cfffe691d.jpg

You may notice mine doesn't have the fourth hole in the induction housing casting, the crankcase has all four threaded holes but no counterbore for the small o-ring (unlike yours which does).

SAM_6701a.jpg.aafe97587c3a09bd52dede4664fb470a.jpg

The bronze cages are also used in the later model aeroplane engines, I never took the bearings out of my early Compact, so never found out that they had used them very briefly for these engines, you should notice all the bearing cages (apart from the con-rod) are the half cage versions.

Other differences you should notice are the stud & nut for the fourth threaded hole in the base tank and no oil hole in the starter rivet (with no mention on the decal either).

SAM_7731a.jpg.4050dba30c2666699b8b3c6bd3af2fbd.jpg

David

David,

Do you have any way to measure the thickness of that black sealing ring? Mine must have gotten squished and deteriorated over time. The exhaust collector has a similar material/seal. I didn’t remove the seal from the collector, leaving it on there and hoping it will seal up enough for the shelf...

The trouble is we really need new-old-stock ones to measure, mine will also be compressed between the castings and stretched around the feather valve, the sizes from the compressed seals will be exactly the same as the diameter & thickness of the gap it seals, I also don't want them disintegrate if I try to remove them.

I have another early engine in bits which is missing all these seals, maybe it would be easier to measure this and find something just a little bit larger to allow it them compress & seal properly.

David

Definitely don’t remove it!  It looks roughly like 1/16x1/16 in the photo.

I can probably get a square o-ring from McMaster Carr, although it might not be squishy enough.

I just took another look at my induction housing and it looks like there might still be enough of that seal in there. It is compressed and formed in place so I think I’ll leave it be.

looks great  keep up the good work. I may just send you mine its in the same place it was two weeks ago.

( you know if you wont that to run you will need to install a fuel line ):D

5 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

( you know if you wont that to run you will need to install a fuel line ):D

Still trying to decide if I want to try to run this one.... I’ll need to do a little work on the spark plug wire as well, has a couple cracked sections.

Those older coils always seem to have cracked (rubber) insulation on the wiring.

Yes it needs the link tubing & gas line installing for the tank, plus an earlier air cleaner (they have fewer holes).

David

2 hours ago, factory said:

plus an earlier air cleaner (they have fewer holes).

I think I have an earlier style air cleaner somewhere, just could find it but I’ll keep looking...

11 hours ago, CNew said:

I think I have an earlier style air cleaner somewhere, just could find it but I’ll keep looking...

It's on that new boat engine

The brochure, outline drawings & parts diagram (Model A) for these early engines has now been scanned & added to the manuals thread.

That strange piston with three rings is mentioned in both the brochure & shown in the parts diagram/list.

David

On 4/13/2020 at 9:30 PM, Wallfish said:

No, should I?

I should probably explain, this unusual early engine with gearbox was on ePay about 3 years ago, unfortunately I couldn't bid (or even ask for more info/pictures) as the seller had the usual international buyer blocking, it was also payment in cash & collection only. You helped me by contacting the seller, but sadly they never replied, that one picture is all I have from the listing.

It's good to know the engine survived & has found a home with CNew, as it never sold on ePay & I really thought it had been lost for good.

David

37 minutes ago, factory said:

It's good to know the engine survived & has found a home with CNew, as it never sold on ePay & I really thought it had been lost for good.

Small world, glad I was able to get this one. Sorry to hear it didn’t go so well when you tried for it a couple years ago. As far as I know it’s the oldest engine I have.

With the information I posted with the letter from August 1960 for the first brochure, it mentioned that the three gearbox models were not yet available but would be in production soon, so that sort of dates your very early gearbox engine to sometime between the end of 1960 and early 1961, the next set of parts diagrams date from August 1961 (only two piston rings were used by then).

And looking at the gears fitted, this engine looks to be a Model H (1700 R.P.M. with clutch).

David