Fishnuts2

Comet drill?

I bought this drill thinking it was a Drillgine, but after looking at the Comet pump thread this morning, I'm now thinking it is a Comet.  I'm wondering if it is complete, as it has no throttle or governor speed selector on it.  It appears near new, and was found in the attic of an old hardware store that was liquidated.  This is the condition as I received it.   Looking for some expert opinions!

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

2 hours ago, Fishnuts2 said:

I bought this drill thinking it was a Drillgine, but after looking at the Comet pump thread this morning, I'm now thinking it is a Comet.  I'm wondering if it is complete, as it has no throttle or governor speed selector on it.  It appears near new, and was found in the attic of an old hardware store that was liquidated.  This is the condition as I received it.   Looking for some expert opinions!

The early drills don't have the throttle control and the missing screw in handle on early ones matches the grip on the frame.

Looking at my archived pictures the early red Orion Drillgine & the Comet Tote-N Tools version are identical apart from the decal on the tank.

David

2 hours ago, factory said:

The early drills don't have the throttle control and the missing screw in handle on early ones matches the grip on the frame.

Looking at my archived pictures the early red Orion Drillgine & the Comet Tote-N Tools version are identical apart from the decal on the tank.

David

This does indeed have the screw in handle, it's just not very visible in the first picture.

IMG_1020.jpg

Are you guys referring to the screw in the handle right above the black grip?

Some drills used that hole for a little red stop switch. I have a Drillgine with the stop switch there. Also has the painted label on the tank.

I'm guessing that's a Drillgine by looking at the paint on the tank where the decals would've been. Thing the Tote'n Tools would just have a single decal on the top but that looks like it had 2. :dunno:

14 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Are you guys referring to the screw in the handle right above the black grip?

No I was referring to the handle screwed into the gearbox, I missed it in picture #4 in the first post, I thought it was missing. 

It looks like a tiny bit of the Orion decal is still present on the tank.

IMG_1020.jpg.a6b8f77b1b08780de0c543c398750efd.jpg.355291c0e603ae91f4ee1f417a83a65c.jpg

This is how it would have looked (picture archived from ePay).

w2.JPG.4790815295da43fa86d90e6069a4a223.JPG

David

The tank on your Drillgine seems to have the missing part from the second line of the Orion decal.

Looking a couple of decals & piecing together the surviving parts, I think this it the full decal (not 100% sure on Associates);

ORION MANUFACTURING CO.
Div. of Orion Associates Inc.
14873 E. FIRESTONE BLVD.
LA MIRADA CALIF.

Searching for 14873 E. FIRESTONE BLVD.* gives an extra magazine article (from Popular Mechanics Oct 1963) for the sticky thread;

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CeMDAAAAMBAJ&pg==PP1&lr&pg=PA163#v=onepage&q&f=false

It's also in the April 1962 Popular Science;

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LCEDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&lr&pg=PA32#v=onepage&q&f=false

Two models were available with the 1360 r.p.m. version having a 3/8" chuck & the 620 r.p.m. having a 1/2" chuck.

David

*And another area of cleared land on google earth.