Wallfish

rebuild another one for 2024

Happy New Year!

This is a model J gearbox engine from a Polaris Power Pole snow blower. Recently member @seb T was asking about a gearbox for a Devillaine Ouragan car. So I had the engine out anyway and needed to pull the gearbox to verify if it would fit his engine. Well I might as well rebuild everything.

Gearbox with a new seal and gaskets. Plus the entire engine just in case he is interested in a completely rebuilt package. Got everything cleaned up tonight. Tomorrow I'll remove the head and re-ring the piston and put her back together.

IMG_0428.jpg.d06685dd7cd175ae7595593d9113b479.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg.5e11e69296b0abe4e1405a6fa90a5db7.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg.420b3e6e0190f81fd2640c2db796a93a.jpg

Happy New Year John!  Great to see another engine getting new life. You’re inspiring me to do another O&R, it’s been too long.  
Recently I’ve been restoring some old Singer sewing machines with the direct-drive motors (models 101, 201, 301 and 15-91), kind of a fun change of pace and will be useful for a few projects I’m planning with canvas and leather.

10 hours ago, CNew said:

Happy New Year John!  Great to see another engine getting new life. You’re inspiring me to do another O&R, it’s been too long.  
Recently I’ve been restoring some old Singer sewing machines with the direct-drive motors (models 101, 201, 301 and 15-91), kind of a fun change of pace and will be useful for a few projects I’m planning with canvas and leather.

Yeah, it's been pretty slow here too for the O&R stuff. It definitely helps to get inspired by other's projects, just like I'm all excited and inspired to see one of those cars in action.

Got the engine done and mostly assembled but still need to do carb top half and recoil. Has a nice hot blue spark just spinning by hand and very good compression. Didn't need to do rings as everything with the cylider and piston was clean and good like this engine had very low hours.

Definitely not as fast doing this as I used to be. And spent a bunch of time looking for escaped bearing rollers! LOL I let a few out by mistake when not paying attention.

Feeling old as I can't see very well and the hands aren't as steady putting those little bearing rollers back in.

I'll wait to grease the gearbox.

IMG_0432.jpg.ce333aeead8ab4eb936d13a617b8abb0.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg.9a9087bc0c545ef65f5429827678b01b.jpg

That one does look nice and clean!  I hear ya, those little roller bearings can be a pain.

whats it going on? its very clean hope to see more. my stuff is still packed .

going down to the Florida flywheel show on the 20th of January maybe will find something to make me get going again

working for someone its hard to find time

4 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

whats it going on? its very clean hope to see more. my stuff is still packed .

going down to the Florida flywheel show on the 20th of January maybe will find something to make me get going again

working for someone its hard to find time

Offered it to seb T for that French car if he wants it. Otherwise it'll go back on the Polaris Power Pole snow blower it came from.

Cleaning all the parts is what really takes the most time. So many little nooks and crannies so  went through about 50-60 Q-tips and quite a few paper rags. I need to get an ultra sonic cleaner

That Florida Flywheelers show is on my bucket list for a while. Might be able to pull it off for the February show if work isn't crazy busy.

Had some time again today since the snow and ice put a damper on the scheduled job.

Recoil and carb is done for this one plus did the gearbox too. I use the Lubriplate engine assembly grease instead of oil in the gearboxes. It will liquefy when it's running and slightly solidify again helping to keep it from being sucked into the engine seal or leaking. It does remain partially oil too but it's easy enough to squeeze more in when needed or if necessary. Even a thicker grease like JD Cornhead grease will work or 00 grease. 

Everything about this engine is in very good condition and it went together nice and smooth. I'll probably find a nicer air cleaner for it too. I don't run gas through the carbs one they're done because it will gum up just like the old ones do after a while. A few drops in the plug hole and Viola, she fires and still fine for long storage.

Seb T ghosted me on the gearbox and engine and haven't heard anything back since emailing him, so I'm kinda happy to just keep it for the Polaris Power Pole Snowblower. Didn't really want to disable one of my tools and turn it to parts anyway. But I would sacrifice it just to see one of those cars running.

IMG_0465.jpg.307dee201e1e1b2d568ffd4d00d550e3.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg.d4336cb07305b65d25eb80eaf61ab6d7.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg.83a4113699e0627b655900697fd5319f.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg.b9b618b78289f9450d5bf5a41132ca85.jpg

Only Jan and already got 4 engines rebuilt so far this winter. The Amp Champ in the other thread is done, the snow blower gearbox engine in this thread, plus these other 2 in the pic with the blower engine.

The guy across the street is going to spin up some of the recoil handles on his wood lathe.

So now it's time to start putting these rebuilt engines on some tools and then get started rebuilding those engines or I might keep those tool engines together with the tools. IDK yet

IMG_0477.jpg.2706436bca9cc8c361d93453a2043546.jpg

13 minutes ago, CNew said:

Man you’re making fast progress!  What kind of tools are you going to put those on?

I'd have to figure it out.

Like change engines on a Drillgine or TT.

The cranks don't have the slots in the little taper so it's more limited otherwise I could do a circular saw. Plus some of the tools are the early style engines so the coils are different. Don't think I have any tools that don't have engines on them so might just rebuild some of those that haven't been done yet and keep these as spares.

Do you happen to know what crank end type was used for the outboards? I'd have no problem swapping engines on those if the crank is right.

I’ve never had one of the outboards opened up, not sure which crank setup that is.  I do have a partial outboard, I’ll have to see if it is all put together at the crank end or if that’s pulled apart.  I’ll try to take dig it out later this evening.

1 hour ago, CNew said:

I’ve never had one of the outboards opened up, not sure which crank setup that is.  I do have a partial outboard, I’ll have to see if it is all put together at the crank end or if that’s pulled apart.  I’ll try to take dig it out later this evening.

There's an Aqua Bug outboard out there that had no plastic cover or tank when it was bought so I added a drillgine type tank. Those outboards actually look more old school cool without the cover and that one always got attention when taken to the shows for display. Probably because everything is visible. Think I'll start with that one and pull it apart and rebuild or replace that engine. Maybe then a Mini Motor and another Aqua Bug

I also have a rare Polaris Power Pole outboard still sitting in a box and all parts from shipping. It's the same tool/engine that @Laserscottman had when he made the famous carb tutorial thread years back. Can't remember how deep he went into it but think he went through everything on it except for actually rebuilding the engine. Work is a bit slow this year so might as well stay on a roll getting some O&R stuff done that's been on the back burner for too many years.

Well, I must've already went through this engine or it has had very little use because the compression felt when pulling it over is about as hard as the recently rebuilt engines. Do enough of these and you can easily feel the difference between a worn engine and a new one. If there's any doubt, then it's in the middle and new set of rings will typically take care of it.

Clean up and new recoil string is probably going to be about it but I'll give it the balloon leak down test for checking the seals. The lower unit gears and seals were gone through when I got it but honestly do not remember ever removing the engine on this

IMG_0478.jpg.ba3cd4a423cbfb6498c533d679a4b7b6.jpg

Found a TT generator with just an engine attached. So one of these newly rebuilt engines will go with the gen head and there's a spare tank out there. Probably need to make a base for it though.

Forgot to take a beginning pic but this thing was nasty and covered with crud. Fixed wiring, inserted new AC plug and got'er all cleaned up so far. I'll rebuild that original engine too.

IMG_0479.jpg.ffd39854bfe32a0d13264c8940f92320.jpg

31 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

Here is a pic of the aquqbug i did a few years back it shows the crankshaft

Thanks! Has the flat on the side of the shaft like a chainsaw. I got plenty of those

2 hours ago, CNew said:

I gotta figure out what project to start next, got the O&R itch again!

Ha, that's what happens when others get active and start posting stuff huh? Just get started as that' seems to be the toughest hurdle.

Grabbed a box of more stuff. Found one of the 1600 rpm gearboxes attached to a parts engine. so might do that engine after inspecting it. IDK

Has anyone made a new band for a TT generator? Need to make one and cut out a base for it too.

IMG_0481.jpg.121dcc47ad11a411b8f1227087b7d4a7.jpg

3 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Has anyone made a new band for a TT generator?

Are you taking about the metal strap that goes around the generator or the rubber handle/cushion?

What tool would have used a 1600 rpm gearbox?

Type G engine rebuilt. New rings seals etc along with the gear box and a new seal in that. Ran out of good recoils and air baffles

This had originally came with a weird rubber paddle fan attached so I put it back on

IMG_0494.jpg.fa7727fbd7516980beed9f6e2f74aaf8.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg.1e8db9edc0955d8af4ce13b8d69b191b.jpg

On 1/23/2024 at 7:50 PM, CNew said:

Are you taking about the metal strap that goes around the generator or the rubber handle/cushion?

A piece of aluminum flashing cut to size, folded on the edges for some strength and a screw to cinch it tight worked well. The flaps and screw don't look as nice as the latch thingy they used but once it's on the base it'll barely be visible anyway. Not sure about the shine of it so might dull it down a bit so it doesn't look out of place on there.

Just need to cut a thicker piece of aluminum sheet for the base of which I do have a large piece of.

Rebuilding engines is is going good so far as I'm up to 6 done. These 5 plus the Amp Champ.

IMG_0497.jpg.214566859ac9454e6002963607b1c7dd.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg.586fc4892450487516cd570a2d3dce64.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg.d06f112e1bbd6be15854ca27d58a3e33.jpg