Charlie Smith

Trailer Is Finally Built

Hello Guys!

We've been busy over this way for around three weeks now, building a 11ft x 5ft trailer to transport my machines too and from the shows it's big enough for two tractors and attachments like snowploughs and all my petrol, oil, tools, generators etc, or it's big enough for one tractor and my 4 wheeled cart. It's now finally finished, we tried building the mudguards as well, but they didn't go to plan, and for the sake of £20 we've brought two new plastic mud guards with fitted reflectors, it has a 4ft tailboard that acts just lovely as a ramp to load, takes the weight well, can just drive the tractors straight into the trailer, (makeing sure it's hitched to something otherwise you're asking for disaster to strike. It's very strong, plenty of iron went into the making of this, and plenty of head scratching as well. We've gone for that plant trailer look, it's nothing too special, wouldn't match up to a Brian James, or an iforwilliams but it does the job, was reasonably cheaper and it's not so appetizing and eye drawn by the tea leafs, I'm sure someone would rather steal an ifor Williams before they would this trailer ;) still going all in with the wheel clamps etc though. Never be too careful,

It was built from a caravan chassis,

I've put it onto RedSquare as well, as I know there's some guys here that aren't yet on RedSquare, :)

post-131-0-59647800-1400076917_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-59722100-1400076928_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-08930900-1400076968_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-06205700-1400076994_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-87909400-1400077028_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-37220000-1400077066_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-48755300-1400077109_thumb.jpg

Can I just add ;) that it's a very close one, tight fit to say the least, ;) allows for about 3mm gap good measurements dad lol. ;)post-131-0-13749300-1400077431_thumb.jpg

Nice trailer Charlie, just 1 point I'd like to make, with the axle being well back it will put quite a load on your tow bar, possibly overloading it, sorry if this is a bit of a downer.

Nice work Charlie, just the right size :thumbs:

I get what Sten is saying about the weight being at the front, but I do wonder how much weight the caravan body with all the normal stuff inside (fridge,cooker, bedding, gas bottle or two, etc) would come too..

I bet not far off the same weight as your two little tractors :)

The chassis's been shortened at the back, Ian. So weight distribution would be different. I'd load with the Wheel Horse over the axle as most likely the heavier.

oops missed that - Sten is right....Typically cars are designed for a certain weight pushing down on the tow ball. I think most manufacturers go for around 50Kg - there is actually a minimum too. - the caravans/trailer usually designed to allow this balance too, if you get it wrong then you are at risk of instability and tank slapping :D

The tractor over the rear is quite well balanced, not so sure about the extra 250Kg at the front. I would check the regs out Charlie as I know that VOSA and the police will pull trailers/caravans over if they feel they aren't legal and measure the nose weight.

Hope it does work out for you...

The chassis's been shortened at the back, Ian. So weight distribution would be different. I'd load with the Wheel Horse over the axle as most likely the heavier.

Owning one of each type I would say the Cub Cadet is heavier personally...