Martin77

Ladybird quandry....

We've pretty much finished cleaning and smartening up our project Ladybird, (will try to upload a pic later) but are left wondering what to do with the motor. We've asked a few places about rewinding the motor, but it seems to depend on how much needs doing, it could cost over £150... :wacko:  whilst it would be great to use the original, it doesn't seem worth it for that expense.

We have a modern Alko motor we could fit, but it means chopping up the deck as it's larger, which seems a shame.

So, either we have a nice clean original mower that is nothing but an ornament, or a non original machine that could actually do a bit of cutting. What do you think?

post-217-0-47983700-1401280844_thumb.jpg

post-217-0-35074000-1401280900_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin77

It does look great, even better with the handle on. Have you noticed though that there was never an on/off switch on these? Bit scary! So one will be added once we know which motor's going in.

Have found a chap to take the motor to at the weekend, so maybe if we are lucky he can repair the original one which would make life easier.

Paul, could we beg a huuuge favour please...? Could you take a pic of the blades on yours when you get the chance? The original ones are meant to be spring loaded, so that they don't stick when they meet an obstacle, but the blades on ours look like they have been bodged; definitely not original.

Your doing the right thing by getting the original motor fixed, it would be a shame to have to cut the deck up to fit a different motor.

Nice polishing by the way :thumbs::)

Well, the guy we saw today says he will take the motor apart and see what's up. He was keen; I get the feeling that he spends his days fixing and selling modern alternators and starter motors, and gets quite interested when something vintage appears.

"ohhh, if it's more than £30-£40 worth I'll call you, cos it won't be worthwhile then" - I like someone that works like that. Could be a useful guy to know about.

Oooh, thanks.

Curious... that looks like one solid bar of aluminium. They don't look "spring loaded" unless it's two seperate blades and there's something under that dome in the middle.

The blades on ours are in two halves, but we didn't think they were original. Perhaps Metalair just changed the design along with the other bits n bobs they tweaked.

Fingers crossed for the motor, once that's done then it's just a matter of adding new flex and a switch, and it'll be done :)

News just in from the expert.... the armature's worn out. Much like old villiers coils the wires are broken and shorting...

Don't suppose anyone out there has any suggestions?

I recently did a tidy up job on a Ladybird for someone who has since sold it but it had a disc with two swinging blades and an on/off two pole tumbler switch in the mains lead about 18" from where it emerged from the top of the handle.
As far as chopping the chassis to accommodate a different motor goes I would say . Don't . It's your machine and you will do what pleases you but for my money the originality will be gone for ever.

Edited by Wristpin

Similar to Qualcast Commodores Mr PM. Bought yours and then two others came along! Now in the process of being amalgamated into one

Nice to see another one in working condition!

Yes, the motor could be re-wound, but it's a question of cost. You'd be looking at over £100, and it's never going to be worth that. We have a new motor arriving soon, which is just about the right size to fit the chassis without cutting, so hopefully we can get it running ok, without losing originality (well... nothing irreversable if you see what I mean)

So...

We added another motor, which came out of a washing machine.

It sucked.

Right size so no alterations needed, but it was pretty weedy. Tackle a clump of grass and it would stop. Back to the drawing board..

Strolling round Holsworthy Vintage Rally today we found a bloke selling the usual crap, rusty spanners and nicked power tools  autojumble stuff.. and he had a couple of SDS drills. £15 later and we own an 800 watt motor that's neatly compact. Seems a shame really, cos a powerful drill is a useful item when you live in a house that has 2ft thick stone walls.

And returning home I get an email from a chap that's seen my Wanted ad on Freecycle, and has 6 motors kicking about that we can choose from. Now, I am a firm believer in "always have a backup", so I'll go and see him I think. He's in the next village over, which has an appealing-looking pub, what an excuse!

Progress! Well, a bit.

(as for the vintage rally, I reckon the contents of the shed and workshop here would have put on a more interesting display, but someone did have a Jobber. Martin wants one of those, just for novelty value.)

Similar to Qualcast Commodores Mr PM. Bought yours and then two others came along! Now in the process of being amalgamated into one

I did wonder how you were getting on with it... :)