Vig

Howard bantum ac120

Hello PMac, I'm in the same boat with an old Bantam hoe powered by an AC120. I need some ideas to get started, especially a spark from the WICO FW magneto. Is it possible to send a copy thanks very much. btw the flywheel magnets can barely hold a 6" nail as a keeper, is that normal? I wasn't expecting permanent magnet motor type forces but a little better than that. regards, Dave

Hi Dave, welcome to MOM...  I can't help you with your problem I'm afraid but I expect some of the guy's who knows more about AC120's than me will be a long to help.

Hi Dave, I see your Down under, so welcome !. Afraid I know little about these, but to try and help, here's a few links that may assist in sorting it and locating any parts you may need -

http://www.oldcroak.com/fw-series-flywheel-magneto-rx/

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/wicomagneto/Petrolmag.htm

http://www.magnetoparts.com/wico_fw.htm

Not sure if the weak Magnets will be an issue for you, but would be good to know how you get on.

Regards

Hi Dave I have an Howard Bantam AC 120 that runs. If you type in on Google  "Howard AC 120"  one of my  posts should show "VHGMC tractorbox Uk"  dated nov 5th 2011. It was a complete wreck  not started for years and left outside for so long the cowl rusted away. Got it running 2 nights later as you will see from pictures. I would just try cleaning everything up ..clean inside of flywheel...clean the points with a strip of 320 emery paper ...finish by drawing a piece of plain white paper through. Gap is 18 thou. Put fly wheel back on.  Check spark plug lead..i often cut the very last piece off the lead (if long enough) and put on a good open (non suppressor) connector. Next attach a new  plug and rest on clean section on top of block. I then attach a wire brush to an electric drill and spin the flywheel. Sometimes it takes several minutes but this method has brought a spark back to quiet a few of my engines over the years...and was how I got my Ac  120 back to life. Not an easy machine to tune..governor controlled. Pm if you need further advise.

Hello Folks, thanks very much for the many Howard AC120 photos in the links & tips, will follow those plus replace the plug & lead. Any idea of the correct plug type and gap thanks? regards Dave.

I just used a short reach 14 mm plug, i wasn't a problem...no details were given in the 1952 dated copy of the  manual I have.

The choke is on the oil bath air filter...so if its not attached to the carb by its hose you will need to partly block the end of the carb with a cloth to suck the fuel in for initial starting. 

Hello folks, I followed your advice on the spare engine thanks very much - cleaned and set the points then spun the motor by battery drill with a new plug hanging on the lead. Immediately had a good spark, no spark from the Bantam engine so far. I'll most likely swap the spare magneto onto the machine the next time that I'm around. Howardman, is it possible to have a pdf copy of the AC120 manual thanks, I can cover any costs by Paypal. Also, does anyone know of some easy to purchase solid steel countersunk rivets, around 1/4" D x 5/8" or 3/4". I found some in the US and gave up trying to use a foreign address. regards, Dave

Hi Dave I will see if my son can put it in PDF  form if not I will post it on. Its only about 8 A 4 pages....most given over to a long spare part list no longer available!!. There was two types of carburettor ..the early ones was type 124/150 and the later one was 333/1   I got a second engine on eBay  with the 333/1 later type and its running much better on the later carb. The bore is 57 mm and the only  piston rings that match size wise are those from Austin A 40 !!. Compression is the weak spot ..wore bores...so try regrinding the valves. I also took the sump off and cleaned it plus took the piston out and soaked in carb cleaner to clean dirt out of the rings. I gave the bore a light rub of emery paper (circular motion not up and down ..attempt to cross hatch). As rings are not available I didn't hone the cylinder. Yours hopefully has less wear.

Hi if you pm me an e-mail address i can send a manuel to you. If you read through the above posts you will get info on how to get it running.

Hi All,  If anyone can help point me in the right direction to source a manual for an AC120 engine I'd be very grateful.  After 6 hours of back breaking digging my uncle turned up with what can only be described as an orange goddess!  It made easy work of my compressed clay garden and has saved my next 4 weekends, what a machine.  He's had it for years and showed me the ins and outs but has always struggled with the carb and adjusting it.  It seems to be running a bit rich as the spark plug is sooting up, he mentioned that he's been after a manual for ages so would great to get him one.  

Thanks for any help

Ash

Hi Ash..have sent you pm re: Howard Bantam ac 120 manual. These engines are governor controlled and notoriously hard to tune. Two types of carb were fitted...and parts such as needles for these  are not available. Throttle shaft wear is also common (because of link to governor) and this will cause all sorts of problems ...add in common bore wear and you are lucky to have a runner!