Ian

Project "Why Not"

Wish I had known Ian, I've just given one away, to go on a v twin Honda to build a trike!  A friend at work had ordered a Ural outfit, £12 -1/2 k and now thinks he won`t get it due to sanctions with Russia.so he decided to build a trike in case.

Wish I had known Ian, I've just given one away, to go on a v twin Honda to build a trike!  A friend at work had ordered a Ural outfit, £12 -1/2 k and now thinks he won`t get it due to sanctions with Russia.so he decided to build a trike in case.

Always the way isn't it :D

On the off chance you don't have a Reliant prop shaft do you?

sorry Ian, no. The axle came off the robin my neighbor had,it caught fire,he kept the prop for a spare for his latest car - General  Lee - in the reliant robin post on here. I was thinking of building a three wheel Bonsor type truck for the stables so he gave me the axle, I will ask him if he has any old props kicking around when I see him.I think he was going to weigh in the remains of the engine and gearbox,it is down at my friends farm, If I can get to it before he does I'll take off the drive flange from the box, it maybe of some use to you.

Doug.

Hi Doug, no worries on the prop shaft, but if you could ask your neighbor on the off chance..   Do you have a link to his YT page? Reading the Reliant Robin post he sounds like an interesting sort of character :)  I did try looking up "sawman" on YT but couldn't find him.

Not much to report chaps (keep quiet for the mo Mark, you know what I mean ;) ), but while doing a bit of research on Reliant Kitten front ends I spotted a Kitten rear wheel for sale...  HHmm... I'm sure I've seen a pair of wheels that look just like that!!

These were the wheels off the filming trailer!

WN106_zps64126fe7.jpg

So lets compare the Reliant 4 inch or 101.6mm PCD to a Wheel Horse rear wheel..   The holes are too close for a wheel adapter to work, and re-drill the wheel is out.. So let's hope the Reliant brake drums can be re-studded instead!

WN107_zpse3a74350.jpg

Hi Ian.

These are the wheels and tyres I was going to use for the axle, I suddenly remembered I had them,fell over an old engine and snowblower to get at them, You may guess where they came from by the lot numbers! the wheels I think came off a late old type Mini 12" with a reinforcing plate on the back.post-206-0-29278900-1406567783_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-34174800-1406567815_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-59211800-1406567847_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-08639700-1406567881_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-71223300-1406567914_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-29252600-1406567948_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-57315500-1406567980_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-87534300-1406568012_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-08304500-1406568043_thumb.jpg

Hi again,

The chap with the Reliant can't use a phone let alone a computer, When he was busking,people would film him and put it on yt. You may find his clips easier by "Googling"  "sawman" instead of searching in yt. There are I think a half dozen clips. He goes under the alias of "Bryan Brynn" he thinks the taxman will be after him! You wouldn't believe it but he makes anything from £25 to £70 in an hour. people probably pay him to go away.

Back again, General Lee has been recovered (again) by the RAC. Bryan came round for advice. I asked the question and came away with a propshaft with duff u/j'spost-206-0-70148300-1406573100_thumb.jpg

Hi Nigel,

Does this look like the bit you want?   and who's Kim?post-206-0-44909200-1406573677_thumb.jpg

I was given the engine for nothing,so if it will help you out,

Hi Doug, you should build the Bonsor type truck, those wheels and tyres look ideal for the job

Hi again,

The chap with the Reliant can't use a phone let alone a computer, When he was busking,people would film him and put it on yt. You may find his clips easier by "Googling"  "sawman" instead of searching in yt. There are I think a half dozen clips. He goes under the alias of "Bryan Brynn" he thinks the taxman will be after him! You wouldn't believe it but he makes anything from £25 to £70 in an hour. people probably pay him to go away.

Thanks Doug, I will have to do some serious Googling and see if I can find him... That;s quite an hourly busking rate he is on!

Back again, General Lee has been recovered (again) by the RAC. Bryan came round for advice. I asked the question and came away with a propshaft with duff u/j'sattachicon.gifP1020019.JPG

That's great Doug, can you thank Bryan for me :thumbs: I will pop you a PM shortly

Hi Doug, you should build the Bonsor type truck, those wheels and tyres look ideal for the job

I can't, I gave the axle away :banghead: :banghead:

Thanks Doug, I will have to do some serious Googling and see if I can find him... That;s quite an hourly busking rate he is on!

That's great Doug, can you thank Bryan for me :thumbs: I will pop you a PM shortly

Hi Nigel,

Does this look like the bit you want?   and who's Kim?attachicon.gifP1020020.JPG

I was given the engine for nothing,so if it will help you out,

thats the one doug whos kim? :D  i would be very gratefull for it please

Hi Nigel,

when I hear from Ian regarding where to send the propshaft to, I'll put the pump in with it,is there anything else of the engine you need ?

regards Doug.

Hi Nigel,

when I hear from Ian regarding where to send the propshaft to, I'll put the pump in with it,is there anything else of the engine you need ?

regards Doug.

no just that doug many thanks :)

I really need to make some pallet forks for the GT's 3 point :D

WN108_zps7bc099ed.jpg

The Reliant Rialto 2 Axle had arrived :)

WN109_zpsd21a5024.jpg

Unwrapped and on the bench.. All the oil on the left side is due to a certain delivery company thinking it is fine to stand the axle on it's end in a truck or van!!

WN110_zpsc1d4149e.jpg

As you can see it's a tad wide and will narrowing quite a bit to make it fit.. Should be interesting as I've never narrowed and axle before, but there is plenty of info out there on the internet :)

WN111_zps6578ce4a.jpg

One of the fun parts is going to be getting this 5 x 4 1/2" PCD wheel to fit...

WN113_zps0fd9f0e3.jpg

The 4 x 4" PCD Reliant hub and brake drum!

WN112_zpsc35d5cb8.jpg

The PCD's are too close together to make a "traditional" adapter plate, so the only way I can come up with is to make 2 adapter plates, one for the Reliant hub and one for the WH wheel, then bolt both adapter plates together...

We shall see, no time for "Why Not" at the mo as I need to get the 6x6 done before the 10th!!   Eeekk!

looking good Ian :thumbs: what are the measurements for the adapter plates? and how are you thinking of doing those? bolt em together? if so put a brake disc inbetween em, bit better than drums eh. :lol:

Koen

I may have a couple of spare 12" wheels like the ones with the ag tyres on, you could widen them or swap the centres over.

or you may be able to bore a pair of wheelhorse hubs to suit the reliant shaft.

looking good Ian :thumbs: what are the measurements for the adapter plates? and how are you thinking of doing those? bolt em together? if so put a brake disc inbetween em, bit better than drums eh. :lol:

Koen

Thanks Koen, no idea on the measurements yet, I've been to busy nursing my poorly wife this morning and welding the 6x6 this afternoon.. There are disc conversion kits make for this axle.. I wonder what pcd they have?

I may have a couple of spare 12" wheels like the ones with the ag tyres on, you could widen them or swap the centres over.

or you may be able to bore a pair of wheelhorse hubs to suit the reliant shaft.

Thanks Doug, a pair of 12" wheels that bolt straight on would open up a few more options.. I'd best reply to your PM :)

The Reliant axles are tapered at the hub end which would make them interesting getting a Wh hub on, but they do have a keyway.. That's maybe another option.

Your relying on two mugs,sorry,passengers, being available at the same time to keep it balanced! :fingerscrossed:

If the driver/pilot/? sits on one of the outside seats he would be able to see to steer when in wheely mode,it would need those steering brakes though,and blindfolds for the passengers! :omg:

So you could be back to zero steer with casters on the seat backs. :woohoo:

If you left the axle as is, you could have three seats. Driver/pilot in the middle and a mug passenger each side. :D

I'm not sure I could find two people who would be "willing" to act as passengers! I know I wouldn't want to be on it unless I was the one in charge of the controls :D

Your relying on two mugs,sorry,passengers, being available at the same time to keep it balanced! :fingerscrossed:

If the driver/pilot/? sits on one of the outside seats he would be able to see to steer when in wheely mode,it would need those steering brakes though,and blindfolds for the passengers! :omg:

So you could be back to zero steer with casters on the seat backs. :woohoo:

I did think of brake steering at the back for "Wheelie mode", I could still do it using the Reliant's handbrake :)

I was having a look around the net yesterday and found a photo of the wheels Doug has that have been banded.. I think they would look quite good with a chrome hubcap, but they need a bit more "deep dish" look :)

WN114_zpsf0aff73c.jpg