Charlie Smith

Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger 1968 Engine Trouble..

Hello Guys,

The time has come, I'm going to finally start my restoration on my lawnranger, but before I can properly start.... I need the right engine... Or at least one that will fit... Does anyone know what the 'correct' engine was for this tractor? I guess being a wheel horse, it was most likely a kohler engine... I guess I won't find the correct one to put in there, the 12hp and + kohlers won't fit under the bonnet due to room... I've looked at the old single cylinder up right briggs and stratton and some of them are too tall to fit.... Hmmm where do I go next?

It's a 1968 round hood model Paul, I didn't want something too modern, as don't want to ruin the 'looks' of the machine, it would be nice to find a little kohler k161 but I think I got a small chance, I think a lister D engine is proberly bigger then the whole tractor, haha a nice little Diesel engine wouldn't be too bad, I guess any engine won't be too bad as long as it fits and looks sensible I mean I could buy a modern day honda engine but it think it would look so out of place

I didn't want to ruin the 'look' of the tractor, by putting a modern engine up front... But then I remembered there was two boys over Netley Marsh show, they both had bolens huskey 800's and they had modern day honda engine in them which wasn't correct., once you do a full restore even down to the nuts and bolts I guess you don't really notice the engine.... Only the wheel horse mad lovers will notice and may think it's shameful to ruin such a machine with a new engine,.. Once it's fully restored I don't think the engine will look too out of place after all it is red..

And I know it's far from original, but the engine I have at the moment isn't original.. And it doesn't fit, so I would be bettering myself...

What's your opinions...? Honest opinions please...

post-131-0-58672100-1407014127_thumb.jpg

Only the wheel horse mad lovers will notice and may think it's shameful to ruin such a machine with a new engine,..

If the engine fit's, then fit it :D

A small Kohler would be more in-keeping looks wise, but at the end of the day Charlie it's your tractor and you should do whatever needs doing to get it up and running again... I quite like Nigel's diesel engine idea :D

You may well consider a Briggs Engine Charlie. Similar in size to the original Techy H60 -75118H light Aluminium Engine.

There are usually several on auction regularly in the 4 - 8hp region-

Reasonably priced, loads of replacement parts available, easy to modify and fit a Carb for a remote Fuel Tank, design remained the same over a long period.

Crankshaft Pto side is imperial dimension to fit existing WH Drive Pulley and probably wont have to do much Frame drilling for Mounting.

Lastly it will be in keeping with the original look. If you can avoid shoving a newer looking engine into an Old looking machine, then you've done what you can.

Depends if it is just to play around on, work it etc.

It would be difficult now to find good spare parts and rebuild an original H60 Engine. I did one 3 years ago and struggled to find all I need then.

Best of luck in your challenge.

I have sent Paul a PM about his tecumseh 6hp he has, if everything's okay there hopefully I might get that.. If it needs work you say the parts are hard to come by? Hmm... Yes I've looked into some of the briggs engines, I'm waiting to hear back from Paul. I'll let you know how I get on

Good news for now,...after a little tinker about and a few quid for a little few parts, fuel line, plug etc the little tecumseh h60 is now up and running, in top shape, sourced an air filter now just after a little pepper pot exhaust off the bay,

Pulleys ayy, finding it difficult to source one the right size ATM.post-131-0-90354700-1407866885_thumb.jpg