Wallfish

Petro Chug-A-Saw

Another UK find that I bought earlier this year, seems to be the remains of a Chug-A Saw, sadly the seller didn't have any other bits of it. The engine serial no. is within 1000 of the two Chug-A-Drills I have.

David

post-325-0-45923500-1447790500_thumb.jpg

post-325-0-07242900-1447790501_thumb.jpg

Edited by factory

Does anyone have any parts for one of these saws, I need a pulstart assembly complete with cover. Thanks. Or I will buy another complete saw if anybody knows of any for sale

37CB65C1-E8FC-454F-8136-47E1DE4A3DA0.jpeg

CBED0065-C297-4F82-BAE8-685768654582.jpeg

EDF706FD-24AF-42D0-A8AD-08738290CC0D.jpeg

FD4F3474-0841-484A-9DF5-B6B587D14585.jpeg

Edited by Bodger
Add pics

Hello everyone. I am looking for parts for my ohllson and rice engined chug-a-saw. I need a pull start asswmbly complete or will happily buy another saw, or engine etc. Thanks in advance

AA467DEC-4B04-4AE2-A5AE-874CFE524407.jpeg

8AD82B1C-899C-4376-9533-AC48CFB95A3A.jpeg

A3DDE30E-6C5D-45F8-9304-B3369CE563D1.jpeg

71176717-2442-4A7D-B5E5-3D6EB9889F5D.jpeg

:WMOM:

Bodger

It would certainly help to know your location as you didn't fill it in when joining.

The pic shows it's also missing a starter paw and I would strongly suggest you go through the engine to determine any other parts needed. I can guarantee it will not be a gas go situation if the saw is still in that condition. You'll need a carb diaphragm at minimum too. Clean points etc.

I'm sure we can help!

Hello there. I am based in the uk where these items seem impossible to find! I know I am going to need various items but it has good compression. really I need the starter pawl. Pull starter assembly complete, the tank. I will be stripping further in the next few days just wanted to see if the large items were available before I start. thanks 

We have a couple of O&R collectors on here from across the pond. Let's see if they can provide any parts first. Not impossible to find there just not as plentiful.

@factory David has some diaphragms too.

We can get you starter parts so don't worry about that. Those type of tanks are difficult to come by, especially the oil tank since it's specific to that saw but I'd guess the pump could be swapped into a fuel tank with some modifications.

You are the person which scored the saw we were discussing in this thread

Yes that is the saw I have bought! It was for sale on a local selling website. Never seen one like it before so had to have it! 

Merged the two threads, it isn't necessary to post requests twice.

15 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

You are the person which scored the saw we were discussing in this thread

I was wondering when that saw would reappear, it was advertised on farcebook.

26 minutes ago, Bodger said:

Hello there. I am based in the uk where these items seem impossible to find! I know I am going to need various items but it has good compression. really I need the starter pawl. Pull starter assembly complete, the tank. I will be stripping further in the next few days just wanted to see if the large items were available before I start. thanks 

The starter pawls for the older flywheels are impossible to find, they aren't held in place like the later ones so often go missing, I've had to fit a later flywheel and make a custom sized flywheel key as the sizes are different too.

My Chug-A-Saw has a damaged starter too, the early ones are a bit fragile, a later one could be used, but they need modifying to fit the older magneto coil.

I would keep an eye out for another engine myself as what's left looks in very poor condition, they do appear in the UK occasionally.

David

Thanks david. I am just trying to get used with using this site! I am confident I can make a new starter pawl, but yes I was thinking it will be easier to find another engine. I am going to clean the carb when I get a chance and fit a wrap around rope pull for now to see if it will fire. it feels to have good compression, just need to see if it will spark. Thanks andy

I will see if I have a spare later starter, you will probably need a new carb diaphragm too as has already been mentioned.

Also clean out the old crumbly foam from the air cleaner before attempting to run the engine, if the foam dust gets inside it can make a right mess.

David

On 4/5/2020 at 2:26 PM, factory said:

Merged the two threads, it isn't necessary to post requests twice.

I was wondering when that saw would reappear, it was advertised on farcebook.

The starter pawls for the older flywheels are impossible to find, they aren't held in place like the later ones so often go missing, I've had to fit a later flywheel and make a custom sized flywheel key as the sizes are different too.

My Chug-A-Saw has a damaged starter too, the early ones are a bit fragile, a later one could be used, but they need modifying to fit the older magneto coil.

I would keep an eye out for another engine myself as what's left looks in very poor condition, they do appear in the UK occasionally.

David

Hello there. I believe you may have carb diaphragms available. Would I be able to purchase 2 please

On 4/5/2020 at 9:26 AM, factory said:

The starter pawls for the older flywheels are impossible to find,

They may be impossible to find on that side of the pond but we still have them here.

if you don't find a good parts engine keep me in mind I have some that I would send you..

only have one I thought I had  few but the other two are different

8 hours ago, Bodger said:

I have just bought this today too! So I can swap parts to try the chainsaw but still on the hunt for a pullstart, diaphragms, and ad a chainsaw tank. Thanks andy

Hi Andy,

You've found the remains of a Turbair crop sprayer, it's missing a few parts including the blade guarding, but at least it does have the manual which is often missing.

Yes I have new diaphragms & have located a used starter (slightly later) from my spares, I would suggest you go through the engine to make sure nothing else is required.

Also have a look to see which type of check valve gasket is used, if it's not the clear plastic version you might need to change that too, see the carb thread for more information.

David

P.S. I can't go out at the moment, so will have to rely on someone else to post any parts out to you.

No you need part A-139, which are unobtainable as I found out a few years ago repairing the engine from a Chug-A-Pump, here is the picture I posted then showing the two types.

SAM_6010e.jpg.6f12b809fc7abdfcc5b7b403a5336f38.jpg

I have had to change the flywheel on a few engines to the later type as a result and had to make a new in-between sized flywheel key too.

There is a spare later flywheel here if needed, though it would be easier to use that spare engine he's just bought.

David

The a-139 is like the one I have it has that same peace of spring steel

The a-139-2 that I have a small stack of .

The one on Bodger saw looks like it has the aluminum peace that holds the spring in. The pic is not very clear

but I see now that I look harder the flywheel is defendant too.

45 minutes ago, factory said:

No you need part A-139, which are unobtainable as I found out a few years ago repairing the engine from a Chug-A-Pump, here is the picture I posted then showing the two types.

SAM_6010e.jpg.6f12b809fc7abdfcc5b7b403a5336f38.jpg

I have had to change the flywheel on a few engines to the later type as a result and had to make a new in-between sized flywheel key too.

There is a spare later flywheel here if needed, though it would be easier to use that spare engine he's just bought.

David

1 hour ago, factory said:

Hi Andy,

You've found the remains of a Turbair crop sprayer, it's missing a few parts including the blade guarding, but at least it does have the manual which is often missing.

Yes I have new diaphragms & have located a used starter (slightly later) from my spares, I would suggest you go through the engine to make sure nothing else is required.

Also have a look to see which type of check valve gasket is used, if it's not the clear plastic version you might need to change that too, see the carb thread for more information.

David

P.S. I can't go out at the moment, so will have to rely on someone else to post any parts out to you.

That’s great! I will strip the chainsaw and assess further to see what else is required. I will update once stripped and go from there. Many thanks. Andy

43 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

The a-139 is like the one I have it has that same peace of spring steel

The a-139-2 that I have a small stack of .

The one on Bodger saw looks like it has the aluminum peace that holds the spring in. The pic is not very clear

but I see now that I look harder the flywheel is defendant too.

The dimensions are slightly different between the two, the middle part is longer on the A-139 starter dog, I haven't got one to check but from memory the hole is bigger on the A-139-2 starter dog.

Perhaps we need to know the serial number of the engine to confirm which flywheel & starter dogs it has.

David

I've had a look at the serial numbers on my Petro saw, the saw number is lower than @Bodger's saw and my engine is approx #062000 (quite a bit newer than the pump I was referring to the other night).

If it's of a similar age then it probably does use the later A-139-2 starter dogs, measuring the remaining one would confirm this.

SAM_4482a.jpg.c7233ca757750d316d120d60644b6a1b.jpg

David

11 hours ago, factory said:

I've had a look at the serial numbers on my Petro saw, the saw number is lower than @Bodger's saw and my engine is approx #062000 (quite a bit newer than the pump I was referring to the other night).

If it's of a similar age then it probably does use the later A-139-2 starter dogs, measuring the remaining one would confirm this.

SAM_4482a.jpg.c7233ca757750d316d120d60644b6a1b.jpg

David

I will start to strip mine today and confirm my engine serial number and which starter dog I need! Many thanks for your help so far!