Simon Taylor

Tornado, My Royal Enfield Army motorcycle

(Start again, I shouldn't have dragged that pic on the page and lost my while post, GRRRRR!)

Tornado is an old machine, A fun machine, and much more than just a machine. Tornado is my transport, my steed and my friend. (Well it seems that way, the bike has so much character!)

2vafvyp.jpg

Like any older machine, my Royal Enfield took practice and care to learn to ride safely and properly. The gear pedal is on the right, 1st is up with 2,3,4 down, with the rear brake on the left. Quite hard to get used to. There is an additional lever on the gear box called a neutral finder. you press your heal on it when slowing for a junction and it clucks down through the gears! You can't just flick the gear lever like a modern bike, you push it in the direction you want to change and then wait half a second until the old Albion gearbox clunks into the next gear.

2ibyycl.jpg

Riding Tornado is so enjoyable. Anybody that had used an older vehicle will have learnt the tricks to be able to use it comfortably and safely, well the Royal Enfield took a while to learn and get used to, but when I am out there, tornado and I are a team, both working to get us to our destination. The feeling is wonderful, and I have been told often, that I always arrive with a big smile on my face.

ev2cf6.jpg

I look after Tornado well, but we both seem to like off road pursuits, and there is nothing that satisfies me more than a quick trip down a byway, stopping for breakfast or lunch on the way. If you have been out on your KTM trials bike, and just stared open mouthed as an ancient green bike came past on a byway, that was us!

11jwwnc.jpg

There again, wheeling him somewhere for a quick clandestine photo is usually great fun too.

11litzk.jpg

I don't know all the history, but the bike is older than the registration plate. Apparently, some people sell them?

28vtz7k.jpg

We go everywhere, rallies, old pillboxes as I do research on them, and sometimes even places we possibly shouldn't (YAY!) Everything is metal, the side covers, mudguards, everything and the single cylinder chugs away with a sound all it's own. Not a fast bike, but lots of torque at low engine speeds. 

I have no idea how I will keep this bike running for the rest of my life, but I don't intend to get another.

tahs36.jpg

I couldn't sell the bike even if I wanted too.... Tornado wouldn't let me!

and so, that is basically Tornado. Steed, transport, friend.

He looks good next to the Lister B as well!

That's a rather nice bike Simon, Mr Churchill sitting in Westerham looks to be approving as well :)

P.S   I moved this thread to the off topic section..

Wished I had my motorcycle liscence , I would love to get a vintage bike .

The top pic is a great timeless picture Simon , convert that to black n white would look great .

Thanx for sharing

Got any vids ?

Thanks for the youtube link, Simon. The just before Christmas one brought back a lot of memories of bikes I've owned. BSA Super Rocket, Triumph Bonneville, Matchless and a few more. Wish I had them now. :(

they are dessert storm, sand colour. more reliable than the older ones, still fun to be on.

Did I mention the Lister? I'll pop a pic up.

hrmy6v.jpg

Now come on guys, why are you all looking at Max's 'N' traccy at the back?

oops, hit the send button too fast.

There is a vid of the Lister (OK,OK, and Max starting his TVO 'N' Fordson) on my other youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5qYwV1pEWsyvhDBjRXlULg/videos