simon5

Bolens identification

Help can anyone help me identify what model Bolens this is please as the belts need replacing and at present both are wrongpost-315-0-29354800-1428527593_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-83728000-1428527659_thumb.jpg

Edited by simon5

Simon,

Welcome to MOM. You have a early 1960s 'round hood' Bolens. Most likely a 800 model even though the rear fenders are wrong for that model. I like the Agri tyres on yours. I have just ordered a set of belts from the States from a guy called Brian aka Bolens 1000 on GTTalk forum.

Be interested to know where you got yours from.

Hopefully Iain, Chris, OB or HE will see this post and give you more info.

Cheers

Andrew

Here's a photo of my 800 for comparison.post-259-0-63259700-1428528723_thumb.jpg

post-259-0-80981100-1428528767_thumb.jpg

Hi Simon, welcome to MOM.

That is a great looking Bolens you have. Assuming the fender is made of fibreglass and it has a lever to move the belts from high to low range then I believe it is a 900.

This is a picture of my 900

post-276-0-77189300-1428530221_thumb.jpg

I am not an expert on identifying round hood Bolens so hopefully OldBuzzard or HeadExam will confirm or correct my identification. 

Iain

Hi Simon, welcome to MOM.

That is a great looking Bolens you have. Assuming the fender is made of fibreglass and it has a lever to move the belts from high to low range then I believe it is a 900.

This is a picture of my 900

attachicon.gifDSCF0284.JPG

I am not an expert on identifying round hood Bolens so hopefully OldBuzzard or HeadExam will confirm or correct my identification. 

Iain

I think you got it. I'm more up on the later models, but it sure looks like a 900 to me, but I think the 1000's also had the same seat pan, so might want to try and look for numbers on the engine to determine HP. That would give an age and tell us the model number. The 900 used the 8hp S-8D and the 1000 used the 8.25 TR10-D, the manual says its a 10hp, but the engine is actually a 8.25 and marked so. Also the 900 had a 3 speed transmission with a locking Diff. and a high-low flipper switch. The 1000 had a true 6 speed tranny and a High-Low selector switch that was built into the tranny along with the locking diff.

Edited by HeadExam

Wish my eyes weren't so bad. I miss being able to see details in picture like levers and such. Good call OB.

Here's a hint on how to see those details.

Click on the pic to get the popup pic.  It in many cases is larger than the one you see in the post.

Then click on the Save button.  That should open that pic in another browser window.

In that window, you can 'magnify' the window by holding down CTL + to zoom in.  Use CTL - to zoom out.

The above is for Internet Explorer.  Other browsers may not work exactly like that.

Thanks everyone for your help. It has a Wisconsin engine S-8D 3671169 serial no 231552. We acquired it from a local chap as part of a deal over a 2 furrow trailer plough I wanted for my Field Marshall. One picture shows the levers that don't work! post-315-0-48738100-1428598893_thumb.jpg

Edited by simon5

Now that I see this picture, I can see that I made a mistake. It's a 900 :banghead:

From the side view it looked like that lever was coming out of the trans case.

The red lever/shaft just below the Amp meter is the hi/lo change.

It moves an idler from one belt to the other to change from hi to lo range.

Thanks OldBuzzard at the moment the idler just goes in and out against the front drive belt .The other lever doesn't do anything at all.

When it's setup properly, that lever is turned anti clockwise, and then pushed or pulled to move the idler to the correct belt.

There should be two drive belts. One for hi range and one for lo range.

If by 'the other lever' you mean the one with the long red handle and pointed towards the seat, that's for engaging the PTO.

Here are a couple of pics of my 800.  The 900 is pretty much identical to the 800 except for it having a different seat/fender pan, and larger wheels/tyres.

post-342-0-15132800-1428608776_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-87138100-1428608795_thumb.jpg

That's very useful and timely info OB as I am just about to take delivery of some belts for my 800 from Brian aka Bolens 1000.

Simon5 whereabouts are you in Dorset as I live in near Newton Abbot, Devon.

Simon, if you go on GTtalk and click on Bolens, there are some Bolens suppliers on there who may give you the correct measurements. Also there's a handy step by step guide on how to change belts on the tube frames tractors.

Cheers

Now that I see this picture, I can see that I made a mistake. It's a 900 :banghead:

From the side view it looked like that lever was coming out of the trans case.

The red lever/shaft just below the Amp meter is the hi/lo change.

It moves an idler from one belt to the other to change from hi to lo range.

Thanks for the advice about the screen enlargement, size is not the problem, just blurry, I had a "feeling" it was a 900, just a lucky guess

Thanks everyone for your help.I have fitted some new belts but find that there is now a lack of drive. What is the best way to examine the gear box to be able to see what's wrong ? The clutch and shaft are rotating and then nothing ! :(