Tom

Mig welders

Hi all,

After having cleared up my workshop and bought myself a few new toys to go in it the next thing I am wanting to renew is my welder. Currently I have a small Clarke mig welder which has the disposable bottles which does the job but not to the standard I would always like. It's definitely getting a bit past it now. What welders do you guys use? I am tempted by another Clarke as they have good reviews, something like a 160EN or even a 160TM. Also I am not sure whether to go for disposable bottles again or rent some bottles, I am tempted by the latter but I don't weld that much, although recently I seem to have been welding loads! :lol: Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Tom

I've got a sealey mighty mig 190, it's a good welder and reasonably priced, I just got a bottle from hobby weld, Adams gas ect. You pay a refundable deposit for the bottle and then just pay for the gas every time you run out regardless of how long it takes you, no need for monthly bottle rental. I wouldn't waste your time of the disposable ones unless you weld once in a blue moon, but then do you really need a welder? Or just use an arc.

Edited by Rocboni

I changed to mig from arc a few years ago. It's a sip inverter mig, weighs next to nothing but will blow holes through 10mm plate!

Still using pub gas :D guess that's the perk of living next to a pub :)

Thanks for the reply guys! That SIP welder sounds powerful Mark! I have looked at Hobbyweld Rocboni but have emailed BOC as apparently they do a Volkszone deal which is a deal for hobbyist, none-business use welders like me, I am awaiting a quote from them. I have decided on a Clarke 160TM welder and will be purchasing on Wednesday as Machine Mart are having a VAT free evening :D

Tom

Hi,

I've got a couple of migs at the moment, an Esab Smashweld 180 and a German Erfi 170,along with 3 Oxford 180amp oil cooled stick sets,a MOSA generator welder and a Cemont TX150 ac/dc square wave inverter tig or stick set, great for welding aluminium. the main problem is deciding which one to use.

The gas I use comes from a company called Gas Direct, they deliver 3/4 times a week around where I live,it costs me £14.28 a month for rental of 2 50ltr bottles,one of 15% argon/co2 for the Mig and one of pure argon for the tig,That's the price for both,not each, The refill for the mig costs around £19.00 and £28.00 for the tig. These are the big bottles filled to 230bar.

Doug.

Oh, almost forgot, collection is free, delivery £20 .00p no other charges.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies, I thought I had better follow this thread up. I have finally got a new welding set-up, I have only briefly tried it but I am very happy with the performance of it so far. The gas is from a company called Hobbyweld, you pay a refundable deposit of £60 for the bottle meaning if I ever want to stop having it I just take it back and they give me my £60. Each refill is approximately £36.

66FEE45F-1FAF-4C4A-A031-608F4A4F671F.jpg

Here is a quick weld I did with it, this is with very brief set-up. Once I have fine-tuned it hopefully the weld will improve more.

10448522-BDC5-4466-861A-FC59A6AF053E.jpg

Tom

That's a very good deal on the gas, looks like the local agent is at the Cattle Market which is handy. Is that where you went or did you find somewhere closer to you?

Very nice welding, I'll line up the jobs for next time your around :)

Iain

Looking good

Thanks Mark :D

Tom

What make is that Tom? And where from?

The welder is a Clarke 160TM, the bottom of the industrial/automotive range. I bought it on a VAT free night from Machine Mart!

Tom

That's a very good deal on the gas, looks like the local agent is at the Cattle Market which is handy. Is that where you went or did you find somewhere closer to you?

Very nice welding, I'll line up the jobs for next time your around :)

Iain

I did get it from the Cattle Market, I stuck the L plates on this afternoon and me and dad took a drive there :) I actually enjoy welding now I'm practising more and it's 100x better with a nice welder, so line as many jobs as you want up!!

Tom