HeadExam

Need Conversion Measurements on a Ark

My Bible is using something akin to metric in the form of hectares, dinars, rubles, heck I don't know. I just need the dimensions of an Ark, say about 10 percent the size of Noah's. We have already received 17 inches of rain this month and just received over 3 inches in the last 2-3 hours, with over 6 inches forecast before midnight and maybe that much tomorrow and Monday as well. My wife and I have formed a bucket brigade and have moved about 1500 gals in 5 gallon buckets since 7 pm. It is coming in under our sun porch door and threshold, at an alarming rate, it rose from outside the sun room door to the inside sliding door (about 15 feet and 6 inches up) in less than 20 minutes, After about 90 minutes of baling water by filling 5 gallon buckets and going through the house to the front side of the property we were able to reduce the water level substantially. I have used heavy plastic and bricks/pavers on the outside door, but it is still entering in weep holes in the brick that is supposed to allow water out, but because the water in the backyard is over 6 inches deep the weep holes are now a point of entry. I have now plugged those holes and am having the wife bail the rest of the water out of the sun-room while I take time to think of other options. There is a limit to how much water we can put out the front door, because A) it just runs around the house in a few minutes and B) the water is starting to get near the front door as well. So the idea of a Ark came to mind, not one that floats, but more of a coffer dam around the house, built of wood, lined with plastic. I should go see how the wife is doing before I go to bed, it looks like I will need to be well rested for the morning.

That's a lot of rain, could you set up a water pump, if you have anywhere to pump it hat is.

I'd move to Nevada. 0.6" of rain so far this month. 4" for the year.

On a serious note, sorry to hear your problem. Hope the water doesn't to much damage to your property.

Thanks everyone, I would set out a pump, but there really is no where to pump it to that wont just raise the water level in another area unless I had a lot more hose. The pump hose is 2 inches in diameter, where as a water hose is 3/4 of an inch, the water hose, which I have plenty of, is not big enough to carry the volume of water required to remove incoming water. I only have 20 feet of the 2 inch line and that only fills the pond we once called the "yard" The latest forecast is for another 6 inches today with more all next week. A firefighter lost his life last night trying to rescue a man from swift water that took his truck from the road. Many deaths are going to be attributed to this Memorial Day flood, hopefully not as many as in 1987 when 27 people died just in my area. The water has inundated the garden, all plants are under water or gone, the pond is about to crest over the dam and the road leading to town has been impassable for over a day due to swift water crossing the road. I'm building a berm that will partially shield the house and redirect the water down to a lower elevation. Many areas in the Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas will be extensively flooded and there will be more loss of life. I just wish we could get this water to California which has seen a 150 foot drop in their largest reservoir, Lake Mead. I never thought about purchasing a rain jacket until yesterday, now I believe they are sold out, if I could get there.

Raining again today, yesterdays weather forecast was for sunny and warm, today's forecast is for rain for the next three days, maybe more. There is really no such thing as a forecast anymore, there hasn't been in some time. I record the weather forecast every 3rd or 4th day and it is pathetic how bad it is. I send the recordings into the Television station and they say it isn't a exact science, but on their promo for their weather team they claim to have the most modern scientific equipment in the world, with the best meteorologists, but the recordings say otherwise. I've dug a 75 foot ditch two foot wide and two feet deep about 10 feet from the house and around three sides, now all water that flows toward the low back gets diverted around the house and to lower elevation. I figure that will move at least 100 hundred cubic feet of water every minute, no danger now. I've worn my spade and shovel down to the nub, but also lost 5 pounds, lol

Good news and Bad news. The good news is the county gave me two 20 ton loads of top soil, the bad news it was the neighbors driveway that had washed into the county ditch. These people are not very intelligent, they drive a semi-truck for a living and drive it into their yard via a dirt path without gravel (well no gravel for 30 years), when the rains come heavy like they do it washes more and more of their rutted driveway into the county bar ditch blocking water flow. The county removed their culvert pipe and all the dirt and hauled it over to my place after I requested the dirt. I asked them how the neighbors will access their home without a crossing to drive over, the county guy said "not his problem". I can use the dirt to keep water away from my home, I hope the neighbors understand it wasn't my fault waht the county did, maybe I should take them a plate of biscuits.

Alain,

A plate of biscuits sounds like a very good idea. I can see how when they get home and see an open ditch and the dirt in a pile on your property, they could easily jump to the wrong conclusions.

Iain

Alain,

A plate of biscuits sounds like a very good idea. I can see how when they get home and see an open ditch and the dirt in a pile on your property, they could easily jump to the wrong conclusions.

Iain

Yes, and past misunderstanding is why I have many many bullet holes in my house, barn, shed, workshop, electric meter, and well house.

OH NO, Getting another 3-6 inches of rain today. As bad as it is here, down stream in Texas it is much, much worse. I have determined that the dam of the pond will break (and relieve itself on the neighbors across the road) or run off from the sides will prevent the pond from reaching the house. Our 1/4 acre pond is over 2 acres right now,

That's not sounding good Alain!!   I'm not sure what's the worst.. Floods or next door running around with a gun!

There are over 300 million guns in the hands of American citizens, given that number, homicide rates are actually fairly low, most gun crimes are committed by felons who stole a gun, not those legally able to possess one, that said lax registration and tracking does allow legal purchasers to make a substantial profit by selling guns to those not able to purchase on their own. If the NRA doesn't address and offer solutions the government will. Those solutions will most likely favor criminals not citizens as there will be even more profit in the black market of gun sales. I used to own many firearms, I actually believe I am safer with one or none. Floods are worse are way worse. We are okay, but many south of us are in really bad shape.