Charlie Smith

Tips/Where? Tyre Removal and Refit

Hello Guys, 

I'm finally buying some new front tyres for my horse, I treated her to some new rear tyres the other year, now the time has come to fit it with some fronts!

I didn't have a problem last year with fitting the rears, as they fit on a tyre machine..just...

however now coming to the fronts they wont fit on a tyre machine, 

do any of you local boys know somewhere that can change them? 

or tips on how to, I might try borrow some tyre leavers and give it a go... 

Buy a set of cheap tyres levers off ebay snd do it your self,quite easy with a bit of practise.

And washing up liquid. Just wipe the mucky hand marks off the bottle, before returning it to the kitchen. ;)

And washing up liquid. Just wipe the mucky hand marks off the bottle, before returning it to the kitchen. ;)

Also make sure it isn't below freezing as it was the first time I tried it, made the rubber very hard.

Hi Charlie, I will be changing the front tyres on WN Thursday or Friday so I will take lot's of photos of how I do it.. A valve spring compressor is a handy tool :D

Hi Charlie, I did the front tyre swaps on WN today so I took a few photo's to help you...

Tools of the trade... Valve spring compressors, valve removal tool, a bit of thick wall pipe and of course some tyre levers..

WN647_zpsovgund6x.jpg

First things first.. Take the valve out and stand well back while all the smelly air escapes..

WN648_zpsngsjmtp0.jpg

Get the valve spring compressor and hook the base over the edge of the wheel rim

WN649_zpsibcbt1t8.jpg

Push down on the spring compressor lever until the threaded adjustable bit touches the tyre and the edge of the rim.

WN650_zpstlcmk5ep.jpg

Wind the adjustable bit down until it pushes under the edge of the rim..

WN651_zpslr6jlfnm.jpg

I find a bit of extra leverage is handy so I slide this short length of bike fork tube ( I call it a ex-stanchion bar :D ) over the lever.

WN652_zpsgyqryeyg.jpg

A bit of pressure later and a nice large bit of the wheel rim inside is showing..

WN653_zpsolrdjvj5.jpg

Keep the pressure on with one hand and after a bit of gentle levering with a tyre lever the tyre pops off the bead.

WN654_zpsaxqaqeso.jpg

Turn the wheel over and do it all again to pop the other side of the tyre off the bead.

Levering one side of the tyre off the rim is quite easy (don't forget the lube) so I didn't take any photos of it, however getting the other side off can be a pain..

It's a bit hard to see from this photo, my left hand is holding down two tyre levers that are spaced apart but are also in between the tyre and the wheel rim.

The tyre lever in my right hand is being used to turn the rim rather than lever it..

WN655_zpswaftscqs.jpg

A few smallish turns of the rim and it pops out of the tyre :D

WN656_zpstiwfegkh.jpg

I hope this helps you out Charlie, as for getting the new tyre on.... It took a lot of swearing and sweat and two hands which is why I didn't take any photos of it!

You've shrunk Charlie. :omg:

It's all this hot weather we're having, First bit of rain and i'll grow again! ;):lol: 

No it seems rather impossible when ever little Tyler is out in the garden I cant seem to get a picture without him in the shot somewhere :D 

Thanks Tom

Excellent post Ian. What tyres have you got for your project?

HI Andrew, the tyres are Kenda super turf's all round.

The new front tyres look good Charlie :thumbs: