Anglo Traction

Oldest Tool(s) in your Toolbox

The dies shown in post 10 are from the a ridgid (or similar) thread cutting machine. They fit into a die head in numerical order as has been suggested and can normally be adjusted for depth of cut and released by rotating one half of the die holder against the fixed half.

http://www.amazon.com/Diehead-RIDGID-97065-Automatic-Oiler/dp/B0015RWYPQ

that is what my previous post showed, somehow the picture got taken down

Koen

"aren't those used in combination with a different tool to "flare" the ends of copper tubing?"

Know where you're coming from but what can't be seen in my pic are the angled "teeth" in each different sized hole. I will give it a go on something softish and see what happens and report back!

Re post 25,  

The reason I recognised the tool was because we had one in the workshop where I worked, it was a Ridgid screw cutting machine made by the Ridge Tool and Die company in the USA and we used it for making the bolts that hold wooden fenders and mooring Bollards to the Quayside, the largest bolts were 50mm thread diameter and if I remember correctly that size needed two passes of the die to form a thread, anything up to 40 mm could be done in one pass but the machine was working pretty hard on the larger sizes.

Lot easier than threading steel bar by hand though.

Ray.

Some of my old tools, see if you can guess what the 1st one is. Sorry about the mess in the background of some but that's how I am :)

The damaged swage block and mini anvil will be the oldest I would have thought

post-204-0-00344900-1405267990_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-77595700-1405268049_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-34094600-1405268103_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-33175300-1405268155_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-43647700-1405268207_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-58634700-1405268260_thumb.jpg

Another tool (well part of a very big tool).  Anyone know what this is off? A clue is I work in a quarry and dug it out of some old backfill, it is also nearly upside down to how it would have been seen in use, it stands about 3 feet all.

post-204-0-78061200-1405269307_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-90710200-1405269355_thumb.jpg

That is an interesting selection of old tools, my guess for the first picture is that it is a corner or mitre clamp whichever you prefer to call it. The vice shown in pic five looks meaty, is it a blacksmiths vice?

Ray

Yes it is a corner clamp, the 2 circular parts in the middle drive the 2 pieces to be clamped together. The vice is an Auto vice, I think designed for the car mechanic.

Another tool (well part of a very big tool).  Anyone know what this is off? A clue is I work in a quarry and dug it out of some old backfill, it is also nearly upside down to how it would have been seen in use, it stands about 3 feet all.

looks like something from a dragline excavator(the piece where a big steel cable was attached)?

Koen

A wonderful selection of old tools chaps, thanks for posting them..

That's a great vice Sten, any idea of it's age?    I need to take a photo of my old vice, dated 1917!

From what I can find out on the net the vice is from the 50's, also it is cast steel not cast iron like most vices.

Not as old as some items posted but these parallel action pliers were bought for 10/- (50p) from a junk shop in about 1975. The government broad arrow is visible on the jaws showing that they had originally been supplied to the armed services or even the GPO (General Post Office  - Telephones) forerunner to BT. The numbers are probably the contract number and date.

In addition to the parallel action jaws another useful feature is that the hinge is constructed in such a way that wire can be fed right through  - great for bending piano wire for control cables etc.

The design has stood the test of time as identical pliers from the same manufacturer can can be bought today !

post-236-0-23012100-1405439744.jpg

post-236-0-33469900-1405439746.jpg

Edited by Wristpin

Hi,

Yes they are the contract number and date stamped on the tool. I know this as my father in law worked for both the GPO & BT until he was pensioned off and I was given all his old spanners, at a rough guess eighty to a hundred of them which has saved me a lot of money as I wasn't around  when imperial was the main sizes.

Paul

i have a steel which i know belonged to my great grandfather which takes it back to at least 1898 which he apperently used to sharpen all his chisels etc and my father used to sharpen all of the carving knives in mums kitchen! i had it with me at the tractor fest and also a two handed logging saw which i think came from the same source though i can only def take it back to my grandfather

pete 

I don't go out of my way to collect old tools but over the years a few have got into my toolbox for one reason or another so here's one for you (click to enlarge)....

attachicon.gifwrench.jpg

The method of construction fascinates me, obviously an adjustable wrench and pretty old but what is its origin? I can't help thinking that maybe it was part of a set of tools suppied with something mechanical and somewhere someone is desparately looking for one of these.

Any ideas guys?

Andy

hi andy your wrench is called the monkey wrench acme twist handle patented on feb 27th 1883 by fred seymour detroit     google in directory of american tool and machinery patents for more info      many thanks      danarmdave      dave k B)

Guess what! It took some time but I have come across the holder for the above taps I mentioned. It is soaking in diesel at the moment, I will have a go at getting it working tomorrow then post some pics of it.

Paul