expeatfarmer

Ransomes Sand Skimming Tractor

Set to today to remove the Ford engine and gearbox from 310 tractor, engine came out ok but struggling with gearbox, whoever fitted it at Bristiol Waterboard made a very good job of it and unfortunatley removed most of the original Ransomes 3 speed gearbox internals, hopefully I have a spare one in my store but if not I will have to rob the box off 311 which will be a shame as whilst I have been looking at it today it would make an excellent platform for either another digger /crane or possibly forklift.

I have also removed the Kohler engine from 311 my what a lump that is I would like to hear it running.It certainly looks as if it would be powerful.post-292-0-83116200-1453572446_thumb.jpg

post-292-0-97859100-1453572266_thumb.jpg

Is the engine for sale I think it's the same in my d200

Sorry James I need it for a transplant into a mates John Deere

Sending you a PM

Well I would if it let me!!

Struggled on today trying to split the gearbox on the skimmer. In the end I removed the original three speed box and the Ford box as one unit only to discover that the modified 3 speed box had most internals removed and a big shaft that went through both boxes with a large nut on the diff end hence the reason the box would not split. I thought I had a spare three speed but turns out I don't so having to remove the box from 311. The combination of sand and presumably sewage effluent has not done the nuts and bolts any favours so have resorted to cutting most of them off with a battery angle grinder ( wonderful tool Milwaukee )

Might trade a skimmer against the canal tractor!!!

I'm not sure that would be a fair deal... Maybe once it's restored

Shame about having to split it up.

True,

I'd be replacing the input drive seal while it is off as it is a nightmare to do when on the tractor, easily the worst seal on the tractor to replace. Even if you don't think it needs done for the sake of £5, it's worth it.

Which seal do you mean Rhys?

Managed to swap the three speed gearbox over from 311 to 310 today discovered that the two bearings on the pto output shaft were shot hopefully Neil will have some spares. Gear change cable from 310 is snapped, cable from 311 has a 1/4" tail instead of 3/16" as 310. May be able to trim it down and cut a new thread to fit. Both gearbox sump plugs are seized solid so had to dismantle with oil in boxes hence the mess!!

post-292-0-87589800-1453747974_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-17575500-1453748016_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-34910900-1453748065_thumb.jpg

In the photo you can see the double final drives of the skimmers which reduce the travel speed to 25ft/min 1st gear, 50ft/min second gear and 1mph third gear. Could take me about an hour to get from the car park at malvern to the stand!!!

Next job is to swap the petrol engine from the ITW to the skimmer and fit original Drayton back on the ITW.

The seal on the input flange where the engine couples, real pig if it has to be done on the tractor. You have the 3 speed box fitted now though.

Looking at those pics i don't envy you at the moment....

How much of the skimmer do you have, have you got the lift and discharge conveyors? I think I read one of your posts where you said you were missing the front skimming section.

Rob

Virtually all of the mechanical operation parts are missing. The main thing is that all of the original framework is present and I have an original pats manual from which I can either find or make the parts. Neil has sourced a substantial quantity of NOS parts nd I know where there are more so I may be able to re fit . Main thing at the moment is to sort the transmission and refit an original patrol engine so that it is mobile.

Just had a look at a photo of a skimmer and you have quite a job ahead of you to restore this machine to fully working condition. Having seen some of your projects posted on here I'm sure you will get there in the end.

As mentioned I think the gearbox and drives for the conveyors and skimming head will be the challenge.

I wish !

Had a good day today though, gear change cable on 310 had snapped so took the one off 311 only to find gearbox end was 5/16 thread not 1/4,managed to grind it down and re thread it to fit  so fingers crossed I can change gear.

The flexible coupling on the petrol engine off the ITW was shot so stripped out the clutch to change the coupling, clutch is brand new as is drum. Then went on to strip the engine just to make sure all is ok, removed the head, bore and valves are absolutely perfect. Gave the valves a spin just to take off any surface rust. The chap who owned it before was an ex Massey Ferguson engineer and as such I expected it all to be good but needed to make sure looks to me as if it has only run for an hour or so since a complete rebuild albeit 25 years ago ! I have removed the mag again brand new inside, condenser is non original and not fixed well so will change that , points are new but furry so a clean up should be all that is needed. The engine is fitted with an Amal 356 carb. Again great condition but full of white powdery corrosion due to having been left dry for so long I will polish it up and should be fine. I am just hoping that the Drayton engine for the ITW is in the same condition as it came from the same guy, we will see in the morning! This machine will be displayed at Malvern come what may complete with 25 years of chicken poo in parts I have not reached yet, it will move under its own power but that is all there are loads of bits missing and aprt from the magic seat it will certainly not win a concours prize and neither will the ITW or the MG40N but these machines are rare and special and I would like as many people as possible to see them and hopefully others will feel inspired to bring along their machines in whatever condition they are. So inspiring that I have even got a Wheelhorse fanatic as number two !