John keen

Wheel horse c101

Hello, I'm new to this site so please be gentle with me.  

I've just brought my first wheel horse c101 but it has a 12hp engine in it. where can I get a manual for it as I want to restore it? 

Thanks 

John 

Hello John, Welcome. Wheel Horse started using C-101 on their 10hp Model from 1978  with a Model Number of 81-10k801.

So depending on which year yours is, will depend on what Manuals you will need.

Once you know your model number (on a small black Plate under left side of dash usually) and then the year, you can search for them on the WH sister site here-  

-Redsquare-      Many of us here are also members on that Forum.

As you have a different sized Engine fitted, you will need to note the Model, Spec and Serial number (if it is a Kohler) and search this site link-

-Kohler-

Any problems, come back with the details required above and we'll see if we can fit you up with what you need. If you have any pics you can post, we like pIcs.

Regards     

Thanks very much for that information and help. On the plate it only says, model number 1-036D. serial number 128598....

The thing I'm not sure about is where the two gear sticks are there is no H plate ? I will try and upload some pictures. Thanks again for your help.

John

2016-10-01 16.58.10.jpg

No problem with the info. There are lots of Members in the Home Counties.

It is a 1973 10hp 8 speed as they are known in the U.S. (Also No Name Tractors).

Model number will be 1-0360 (Belgium continued to call them Raiders). Here's the Link to Toro Parts Diagram for it -LINK-

The serial number also points to 1973-ish and your Tractor was assembled at the European WH works in Belgium with parts shipped from the U.S.

Your seat and Steering Wheel were made in Britain and also fitted at the Belgium factory.

Around that time, they used 2 types of PTO Clutch Linkage and either 1 or 2 Pedals, as surplus parts were still being shipped from the U.S that were no longer fitted  to U.S Models.

Flat top Gear Knobs look post 1974. Earlier ones were Spherical. There wasn't an 'H' Gear Lever Plate fitted on many 'C' Series before late '73' in Europe.

Look's in fairly good condition. Way better than I get :thumbs:

:WMOM: John. Tidy looking tractor and I like the colour. Gears are quite simple. Short lever on the right is high and low. H right. L left. The left hand lever is for the 3 forward and reverse. Reverse back to and and to the left. 1st back and right. 2nd forward and right with 3rd forward and left. Engage gears when stationary, not on the move.

Welcome to MOM. I know Hooe very well as I come from Bexhill originally. The Red Lion was my local all those years ago and my brother lived in Sampson Cottage I think back in the 90s near the garage on the bend.

Can't help you on the WH I am afraid.

Cheers

Andrew

1 hour ago, John keen said:

K301 I believe.  Apparently it's 10 years old and was fitted new....

At a cost of  £900 ??

The serial number on the K301 starts with 28, that would indicate it was manufactured in 1998, that makes the engine around 18 years old, many times these engines can and do sit on the shelves a long time. It might be that it was a wee bit longer when the engine was installed, but maybe not if receipts are presented. The price would indicate it might have been that long ago, because a few years ago that engine was around 1500.00 US

1 hour ago, John keen said:

Should my engine have a dip stick?  (Apart from the new owner ) sorry for all the questions. John

Yep!. As the engine is not original to WH Spec, you will probably find the Dip Stick attached to the end of a Blanking Plug (square  Head or Hex Socket) located beside the Cylinder fins on top of the Crankcase, or at the base (front) of the Oil Pan (if it is, it will be a short stubby one).

The original was set in a long tube at the back next to the Starter motor.   

Edit:- When you find it, you will probably need to how to measure correctly. Rest the screw-in plug on the edge of the Fill hole to read the level.

Your engine spec number is related to the Locke MFG equipment maker of Locke-Devere mowers, It was probably a replacement for a triplex reel mower rather than their early 60s garden tractor.